13 Replies Latest reply on Aug 3, 2017 4:27 PM by lzap

17.7.2 - why?

susul

Unfortunately, AMD remembered its forgotten tradition - to do many bad drivers.

I pinned the 17.7.2 driver and thought he would give stability to the system, but this driver only leads to an increase. Energy consumption of the graphics chip, increased temperature and frequent reboot of the computer.

I am using 4 RX570 and Claymore.s.DualMiner.v9.7.

And unfortunately the 17.4.4 driver is still the most stable and the most efficient

AMD, please go back to the practice of active beta testing

• Re: 17.7.2 - why?
          deadlyseven

I am getting frequent radeon crashes and reboots as well on my 295x2

yoshimatsu414

I was experiencing this issue to with previous drivers in the 17.6.x versions but 17.7.2 seemed to fix the stability issues for me on my RX 470. Sad the see that this issue it still sticking around for some people. Hope you have a solution for this soon.

locodicegr

Claymore.s.DualMiner.v9.7. theres your problem.

yoshimatsu414

I doubt that's his problem because looks like I spoke too soon in my last post. I just had this driver crash on my last night when on desktop and then again when switching monitors. Every time windows 10 boots back up, it keeps saying "Wattman had a problem and it has to reset" or something like that. That's the same issue I was having in 17.6.x drivers. It's less frequent in my case but still unstable. They really need to figure out what they did because in 17.5.2, I didn't have issues like this smh....Wattman is annoying anyway. There should be a way to not install it if you don't want it. It's buggy and readings on it are always different than what show up in other OC softwares and it's limited.

ambrose

Hello,

I think it is because people use so many different apps to tweak stuff that it would be hard for AMD not to tell people, not to use 3rd party tweaks. If people do and then they have problems then it will be a lot of tail chasing. Just look at all the people now that have issues, and they vent on AMD when most of the time it is user error or the M$ Bubble-Heads putting out W10 updates. Or they take it upon themselves to tell you that you don't need the driver you know you want, and change it for you. I have had my little hiccups but never had a problem tracking it down if it was an actual issue, but other times it's as easy as a OS Re-install and then all is Golden again. These are very few in the many years I used Windows 7.

The only other thing I will end with, I think people should stop with the " Holy Grail " search for Drivers and Tweaks. In my eyes it's not worth the time you lose in your gaming or hobby free time tracking down these hiccups, or the fact that one may get 5 or 10 extra Frames while playing their favorite game that they are getting 75-100+ anyways.

Cheers All,  & Remember, " Work Hard, Play Harder."

Ambrose

susul

Wow!

I found an interesting fact, the driver 17.7.2 resets the memory to my RX480-8Gb to 1750MHz.

ASUStweker can not correctly work with these drivers. MSIAuterburner also gives an error

yoshimatsu414

Wow nice find. I found out that Asus GPU Tweak is doing the same thing on my end as well.

What did AMD do? Don't they realize that people might actually be USING the 3rd party software that their 3rd parties ship with THEIR GPUs? smh.....

I'm getting really weird numbers on my GPU Tweak, saying Core is 500MHz. Performance didn't degrade for me but the fact that GPU Tweak is all wrong means that something happened because it was not like this before these drivers.

ambrose

Hey Gang,

I have been on the forum for a little while and in regards to 3rd party stuff, I noticed the regular people that answer questions here, that is one of the usual answers to people, Don't use any 3rd party tweakers because they don't play well with ReLive etc. Makes sense when you think about it, it's like a tug of war with 2,3, or 4 ropes tied together, wouldn't you think?

Cheers, Ambrose

locodicegr

Are you guys look into forums ? 17.7.2 have updated API Overdrive and 3rd party programs dont work.

susul

It's just a disaster!

AMD Wattman does not even have half the MSIAfterbuner capabilities

3 of 3 people found this helpful
                                  yoshimatsu414

Hopefully the third party apps upgrade soon to support this new driver and up. Wattman is OK but IDK, it's missing a lot of features that other overclocking software's have that would be nice. AMD needs to either adopt these missing features into it (all they to do is look at the other software for second to see what key things they are missing) or stop trying to force Wattman down our throats.

deadlyseven

I had to use DDU to uninstall the drivers and then do a clean install of 17.7.2 and it seems much more stable, but I didn't get a chance to play long.  I don't have any third party apps installed.

lzap

Thanks, that actually helped. Uninstalled ASUS Tweaker II. Did clean install of AMD-Chipset-Drivers-Software-17.10RCP22-Apr27. Then normal install (clean install button was not available) of WHQL-Win10-64Bit-Radeon-Software-Crimson-ReLive-17.7.2-July27. And games are working without crash so far, crossing my fingers. I have not changed any Radeon setting and I will not accept licence of WattMan for the moment.