8 Replies Latest reply on Aug 2, 2017 5:33 PM by mr.unknown

Doubt about Asus strix Rx 460 OC 4GB

kevinfreirenieto

I have a MB msi h61m-p31 / w8 with i7 2600 CPU, this MB in its features has a single PCIe x16 but my GPU installed in this PCI only works x8. This is OK? O Is there a problem with my MB or GPU?

Thank you for your attention

• Re: Doubt about Asus strix Rx 460 OC 4GB
          whiskey-foxtrot

I'm not familiar with that motherboard, but see if there's an "auto" setting for the PCIe slot (maybe it's set in the BIOS to x8 for whatever card you upgraded from)? Also check if that motherboard has the latest BIOS (if it's even still listed).

Anyway, you shouldn't see much of a performance (drop) difference going from x16 to x8 except maybe when offloading from Vram.

(P.S. I would move this topic to Graphics as this is a "General" discussion forum.)

1 of 1 people found this helpful

Hello, pal,

The AMD Radeon RX 460 based graphics cards present themselves in the form of PCI-E 3.0 x8 and x16, the Intel H61 platform only supports up to PCI-E 2.0 x16. I guess what you purchased might possibly be the PCI-E 3.0 x8 version, so in other to make confirmation, you'd better contact with ASUSTek for further support. Besides that, I have to explain that PCI-E 3.0 x8 is more or less equivalent to the bandwidth of PCI-E 2.0 x16. So manufacturers might possible choose the PCI-E 3.0 x8 rather than x16 for the consideration of cost. If so, such card would work only at PCI-E 2.0 x8 on system which does not support PCI-E 3.0. 

2 of 3 people found this helpful

Oh, sorry! Just now I pay visit to MSI website, I think I made a mistake. Normally, Intel H61 based platform only supports PCI-E 2.0 provided by the Sandy Bridge processor, but the mobo you possessed is based on Intel H61 Rev.B3 which supports the Ivy Bridge processors officially, so it brings the support of PCI-E 3.0 when using such processors. Core i7 2600 is a Sandy Bridge processor, it does not support PCI-E 3.0. I did not find the related BIOS setup information on PCI-E from the downloadable manual, so you could have try to set it as x16 or AUTO if you could find such parameters on the BIOS  SETUP, or you'd better consult with MSI for further support.

BIOS: the Basic Input and Output System, firmware, UEFI or so forth...

2 of 3 people found this helpful