3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 1, 2017 12:07 AM by ambrose

AMD Kitchen

ambrose

Good Day All,

Well I had some actual free-time today so I decided to take a look in my Computer Accs. Box. Hmmmmmm.......I seen it....... thought back at how pissed I was and still am actually at Dell. I grabbed it and decided just for Shtz & Giggles I'm going to bake My Radeon HD 7870, what's the worst that could happen, and it was only keeping all the other stuff held down in the box.

So I got my trusty mini tools set out and proceeded to take my 7870 apart, carefully I might add, actually pretty clean if I do say so myself but I was never one to ill use  my stuff, I guess that's why I am still wearing my old Con-V's from high school, man I love those Gums.

Anyway back to cooking, after I got all the needed prep done, I put my card in and Baked it for approx 10 mins, and waited for it to cool down, did all the needed prep and assembly, put it in my XPS not expecting much and HOLY CRAP!!!! it posted. Ergo I'm am able to view my AMD forums and write you this little note.

Who'da Thunk It,

I guess now the next question is how long will it last, and will it perform better then my Sapphire 260X OC edt, Well I suppose I'll still have the 260 and I know that one works. And Now My HD 7870 has got some life again. Hmmmmm...Think I'll have a Beer...Cheers All.

And Remember this thought, Never Give UP!!! Work Hard...Play Harder.

• Re: AMD Kitchen
          ambrose

Hello Everyone.

Well just a little update sense my baking today, all seems well so far, haven't done anything serious yet just regular computing, making sure temps are in the norm as for gaming nothing to report yet maybe tomorrow play a browser game " Diggy's Adventure " that won't really tell anything, but didn't want to say I didn't try a game, when I checked the temps via Global Over-Drive they showed 29 started idle and 32 after 4 hours total of web surfing and Diggy Play.

Witcher 3 Tomorrow I think, we'll see.

Cheers,

f265333b8afdf9ab8f6e5efba2d9dcf0.jpg

ambrose

Hello All,

Just like to give an update for my HD 7870, using the latest drivers for this card, and have my pwr at +20, power scheme is at performance, clocks are at their default values of CPU : 1000 MHz  , Memory Clock : 1200 MHz. It's my upgraded card that came with my XPS 8500 Special Edition.

The temps when I first checked seemed to be around the 29-34 mark and when I checked them in Global just after I played Witcher 3 for approx. 30-40 mins, it showed 29. So I'll have to assume that my thermal application went well. It seems to be a generic brand from my local computer shop, so with temps like that at the start I could pray for a little drop as it cures but I am not disappointed in them.

I hope the card keeps working, I am glad I never trashed it.

Cheers,

******* EDIT ********   Doing a little edit on this, in regards to my temps I made a mistake was looking at the fan speed of 29, my temps I just checked again after a 30-40 min session of Witcher 3 and the temp was at 57 but went down almost immediately cooling itself, so still all in all I am not disappointed now if I do a fan curve it would help more I am sure.

Sorry about that the Control Panel is a little different for this driver release of the 7870.

hardcoregames™

I have a HD 7870 and it still works fine.

1 of 1 people found this helpful