3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 1, 2017 12:15 PM by spikeypup

Near constant game crashes within minutes of start on latest driver (17.7.2)

sigggy

Hi guys, I'd love if anyone had any advice for me regarding a particularly annoying issue I've been having.

For what feels like the past three driver versions I've been experiencing erratic but near constant crashing on games.

These crashes are almost always within the first few minutes of starting the game (Dark Soul 3, Dishonoured 2, Dead Cells) and typically cause the screen to go black before getting booted to the desktop with the application hanging in the background and an error message saying that, for example "deadcells.exe has stopped working" while windows attempts to solve the problem. My first thought was an issue with my crossfired R9s overheating but they are actually running at a reasonable temperature.

What kills me is that the problem is erratic and inconsistent. It could be observation bias, but I find that my odds are better that the application won't crash if I start it after a fresh boot as opposed to coming back after the computer has entered sleep mode.

Additionally, I have noticed that a semi-persistent issue that is similarly erratic that showed up around the same time as the crashing is that if I start the computer from sleep mode again, audio from the PC over HDMI to my ASUS monitor with built-in speakers will occasionally sounded distorted and crackly. This could be something entirely separate but I have a feeling they're possibly linked.

What's odd is that I never experienced these problems until maybe a few driver versions ago. Since then I have been staying on top of each driver update in hopes of the newest one fixing this issue but so far no luck and if anything the crashes seem to be getting worse.

Any ideas or assistance whatsoever in troubleshooting this would be greatly appreciated.

My specs are below:

Radeon Software Version - 17.7.2

Radeon Software Edition - Crimson ReLive

Graphics Chipset - AMD Radeon R9 200 Series

Memory Size - 4096 MB

Memory Type - GDDR5

Core Clock - 947 MHz

Windows Version - Windows 10 (64 bit)

System Memory - 16 GB

CPU Type - AMD FX(tm)-6300 Six-Core Processor

Thanks,

-S