2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 17, 2018 6:18 PM by rawprawn

Video playback issues, audio glitches, high dpc latency on dxgkrnl.sys

kasper93

Hello,

I've been diagnosing this issue for three days already and I think I have pretty good idea what is going form user point of view. I will try to keep this post short and I hope someone will care enough to reply.

The problem:

Certain video files are unplayable due to very frequent audio glitches caused by significant DPC latency caused by dxgkrnl.sys.

Observations:

• Problem occurs with certain video files (my test file is Sony_4K_HDR_Camp.mp4, but it happens with any more demanding file). Those little bit more dependent on hardware resources, but still lightweight enough that they should play without any problem on my hardware.
      • Issue occurs with any media player. With and without DXVA decoding. It is not decoding issue. There is plenty CPU power to handle videos I test.
      • Audio issue is system wide during video playback.
      • Issue seem to be caused by events relented to core clock control. While video playback clock fluctuate from 600-800MHz to accommodate variable load from media player.
      • To workaround the issue one need to force full (higher) clock on GPU. Easily done by starting PCI-E render test in GPU-Z, which forces full clock on GPU core. This reduces dxgkrnl.sys latency 50 times, therefor fixing the playback issue.

It looks like currently GPU load which require higher clock, but is not heavy and constant enough to keep the clock at specific level causes very big issues with DPC latency. Video is unplayable on my current graphic card. I've connected old HD5870 and it is fine, because it does have only three power states and core clock is stable during playback. But there were also few cracks, but nothing abnormal like with described issue.

I suspect that it might be either too aggressive power management and too slow clock speed adjustments resulting in problems with not heavy load. Like video playback that require little bit more processing power. Or it might be some other issue that is hidden behind the symptoms I described. I've read it isn't uncommon problem to have issues with latency on Windows 10.

Hardware:

ASUS X99-A/USB3.1

Intel I7-6800K

G.Skill F4-2666C15Q-32G

ASUS R9 390 Direct CU II

Windows 10  (15063.483)

I can provide xperf trace if necessary, but the cause is very obvious so you will not see anything else there anyway. That's why I'm not providing exact number, because they are in fact irrelevant, relevant is the damage it cause.

I wanted to upgrade graphic card soon, but frankly I now scared to pick AMD again to face similar issues ;/ I hope someone with reply so we can at least try to resolve issue either on my end or on yours. And if it is Windows bug it is even more critical to take care for you, because it make your products look bad.

Regards,

Kacper

• Re: Video playback issues, audio glitches, high dpc latency on dxgkrnl.sys
          sbstian

Same problem rx Vega 56, could you solve it?

• Re: Video playback issues, audio glitches, high dpc latency on dxgkrnl.sys
              rawprawn

I also have the same problem with Vega 56. issues with latency only settle down when I disable Radeon RX Vega driver from the display adapter. My old GPU R290X has no such issues installed on the same MB. The ASUS Strix Vega 56 plays fine in my old rig. Its when I combine the ASUS vega 56 and the ASUS B450 MB the problems start. Pulling my hair trying to work out if its hardware or software related if i is hardware what is it MB or GPU.

I have replaced PSU uninstall and reinstall the operating system and drivers several times. Still getting distorted sound and video playback in the browser and games have sound and video issues also. Have had a couple of complete crashes on PC (Black screen shut down)

ASUS ROG 450 F

ASUS ROG VEGA 56

CPU AMD 2600

PSU Aerocool Project7 750 Watt Platinum

WIN 10

RAM Corsair Vengeance LED CMU16GX4M2C3000C15 16GB