10 Replies Latest reply on Oct 13, 2017 6:28 AM by bregs

RX580 System shutdown

synaptix

Hello.

I've come here because the internet doesn't seem to have any sort of fix for my issue and unfortunately due to the sporadic nature of this problem I can no longer return my video card.

My problem is as follows:
      I will launch a game: For this example we'll use overwatch. When the game opens my display goes black and my computer has shut off (Ish). I now have to flip the switch on my power supply wait about 15 seconds and flip it again to get my PC to power back on. This is extremely irritating as it feels like either I've wasted money on a game or worse I've wasted the nearly $400 on this card.
      I then get the error “Default Radeon WattMan settings have been restored due to unexpected system failure.”

There is no rhyme or reason to these crashes. They leave no "Who crashed" report. The games that cause this issue change seemingly on a whim. One week I can run overwatch just fine, no issues, but now maybe it's diablo 3 or Anno. I'm forced to basically play what my card dictates I can.

Specs:

Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 1500x

RAM: 2x8GB Gskill Ripjaws 4 series

Moba: Asus Prime B350-Plus

Graphics: Asus Rog Strix RX580 OC 8GB

Power supply: Thermaltake TR2 600w

Bios version is: 0805

Currently sitting at 17.7.2 (Updated. No fix)

I've tried fresh install on drivers as well as rolling back and updating.

• Re: RX580 System shutdown
          amdmatt

Can't you just press the restart button on your PC without having to power it off?

synaptix

No. I am completely unable to use either the power button on my PC or the restart when this issue happens. (Normally both these buttons function as intended)

amdmatt

Have you tested your components in a different system? It could be a faulty PSU or GPU.

synaptix

I have tested the PU in my streaming PC however it's power needs are less than my gaming PC.

Phenom II x6 1065

2x 4GB DDR3 Cheap ram

nVidia GTX 560 1GB version

(This PC normally runs a 400w Dynex)

The card however, I can't fit into another PC as it's simply to large for the case and to heavy for the PCI slot.

I am starting to wonder if it is indeed my PSU. It would explain the inconsistency with which games seem to crash. As the card should begin to overclock itself once said game has launched. With a dying or malfunctioning PSU, it could give insufficient power to the card during that time. However, it doesn't explain why it'll crash with one game and not another on any given day.

amdmatt

Try underclocking the GPU core by a few hundred Mhz and see what happens, though even if that stops or reduces the crashing, in theory it could still be either the PSU or the GPU.

donarkaz

It's not. I have the EXACT SAME issue as the author, although I have a XFX GTR 480 8 GB card (along with a few others!!!!!).

I'll assume that this problem has only STARTED happening after the latest WINDOWS 10 CREATORS UPDATE??? Am I right to assume so??

If yes, it's ONE MORE problem that me and countless other people or RX gfx cards have been experiencing with Radeon drivers after the Windows 10 CREATORS update.

Bam

synaptix

I'm unsure of the whether or not the update has caused any problems. I installed the card back in May and had issues almost immediately.

Updating my bios fixed the issues with the games I had at the time, so my RMA request to return my card was closed. Leaving me stuck with this nightmare.

I have tried to clock it down, it still crashed on me and automatically went back to the default settings.

donarkaz

I 've been having multiple issues ONLY AFTER I installed the Creators update. Rolling back the update fixed ALL my issues, including the problem you're mentioning here.

amdmatt

Can you try the GPU in your streaming system? I feel like we need to try and isolate one component.

bregs

I have recently started to get the same problem.

R7 1700, asus prime x370 pro, asus rx 580 o8g, rm650x

Some times windows just crashes and restart with the message that wattman failed. 1 time i had to cut power at the wall and once(yesterday) the gfx card stared flashing its led's.

I noticed after a radeon update a few week ago(this is when i noticed, problem might be older, but this the same time i started seeing wattman crashes) that the gfx fan didn't always start at 55°C, so now i turn off and on again 0db after every boot, this seems to active the 0db feature. But anyway wattman still sometimes chrashes.

Yesterday i flashed the bios to 0902 from 0812 and updated all drivers and software with latest available from asus.com. When setting up my fanprofile in ai suite III(my fans are silent at 45% so i use this as minimum(higher than asus turbo profile))  i noticed the core clocks where more even than before. Therefor i opened cpu-z 1.81.0 and ran the bench. according to AI suite i only hit 3,2 ghz and a 45°C core cpu temp. hittings the bench buttom some more times i still dint see the 3,75 spike i've usually seen in ai suite but the Cpu temp did go up to 50°C before everything went black and the gfx card startede flashing its LEDs. After a few minutes i turned the computer off, waited, and at boot i was greeted by a message that wattman had failed.