origbhod

R9 380 - Screen goes black when GPU under stress - 17.7.2

Discussion created by origbhod on Jul 27, 2017
Latest reply on Feb 17, 2018 by hreich

Hello

When I am playing a game or the GPU is under a decent amount of stress (ran a GPU stress test program) after a very short duration the screen will go black for a moment. After which the screen returns however, whatever it was that I was playing has crashed. So far I have attempted to measure the temperature when it is under stress but it seems that there is no real correlation as it will occur sometimes when the GPU is at 65 degrees and sometimes when its at 75 degrees. Though it should be noted that it did reach 80 degrees at one stage before it had the black screen.

I also tried to monitor the CPU, the temperature does not seem to be high enough to cause any issue, also the CPU usage doesn't seem to go high either when it occurs. However, the disk usage does quite often go to 100% for when the black screen occurs though it is quite hard to be concise due to the fact that the computer will go unresponsive for a while and be extremely slow even after the black screen.

As I was writing this it happened again, this time while watching videos on youtube, not even full screen and what I was watching is not what I would call visually demanding. I have checked my WhoCrashed reports and found this:

crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\072817-29359-01.dmp

This was probably caused by the following module: atikmpag.sys (atikmpag+0xF7F8)

Bugcheck code: 0x116 (0xFFFFBB0651BFF4A0, 0xFFFFF805CDC3F7F8, 0x0, 0xD)

Error: VIDEO_TDR_ERROR

file path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\c0316467.inf_amd64_3d8fbd78102e53d7\atikmpag.sys product: AMD driver company: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. description: AMD multi-vendor Miniport Driver Bug check description: This indicates that an attempt to reset the display driver and recover from a timeout failed. A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: atikmpag.sys (AMD multi-vendor Miniport Driver, Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.).

Google query: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. VIDEO_TDR_ERROR

Did give google a go at what is suggested though it seems to be more aimed toward if there is an error that appears in the bottom right over the taskbar. If you think it may be worthwhile I will do what most seem to suggest if you receive that error.

Any help is appreciated

Many Thanks

Specs:

Windows 10 64bit

Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX B350-F GAMING

Bios Version: 0223 x64

RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x4GB DDR4

Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 1600x

CPU Fan Hyper TX3 Evo

GPU: AMD Sapphire R9 380 4gb

PSU: Corsair 500w

1TB Hard drive

Radeon Software Version - 17.7.2

Unfortunately not too sure how to check monitor in detail.

Message was edited by: Matt B We have updated the title of this discussion with relevant details to better describe your issue.

Outcomes