0 Replies Latest reply on Jul 27, 2017 8:14 PM by black_zion

Ryzen R3 1300X - Redefining value

black_zion

AMD Ryzen 3 1300X Review - Tom's Hardware

At stock settings, Ryzen 3 1300X only lags the more expensive Core i3-7300 by an average of 2.2 FPS across our suite. That shrinks to a negligible 1.75 FPS when we focus on newer games. You probably won't be using a GTX 1080 with Ryzen 3 either, so graphics bottlenecks will pop up more readily than what we saw. The story changes when we apply an overclock. Suddenly, Ryzen 3 1300X takes the lead any way you dice up the results

AMD Ryzen 3 1300X 3.4 GHz Review | techPowerUp

The Ryzen 3 1300X has a formidable value proposition compared to Intel's 7th generation Core i3 dual-core parts in its price-range. You get four cores for the price of two from Intel, and an unlocked base-clock multiplier, which lets you squeeze out a little more performance than what you pay for. The cheapest Core i3 part with an unlocked multiplier is priced at $189, which is also the price of Intel's cheapest quad-core Core i5 part.

Thanks to its unlocked multiplier, we were able to run the 1300X at two clock speeds, one at its untouched out-of-the-box clocks and the other manually overclocked to 4.00 GHz. The single-thread performance at both speeds is behind that of the competing Core i3-7300, although the gap between the two isn't of the kind we were used to seeing between Intel and AMD before "Zen." The latter made significant core-performance gains. The multi-threaded tests see the 1300X predictably ahead of the i3-7300 because of its four cores.

The AMD Ryzen 3 1300X and Ryzen 3 1200 CPU Review: Zen on a Budget

Then there is the Ryzen 3 1300X. Compared to the Core i3-7300/7320 and the Core i5-7400, it clearly wins on performance per dollar all around. Compared to the Core i3-7100 though, it offers almost 5% more performance for around $10-15 more, which is just under 10% of the cost.

About the only thing any review has bad to say about the R3 series, and I agree, is that without a GPU component, and with AMD having abandoned the cheap graphics card market after the HD 6450, that's going to severely affect the true budget end, the office computers, the public computers, the computers for the people who want to just social media, video chat with family, and maybe watch movies.