6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 29, 2017 3:39 AM by willyfisch

Ryzen 1800x water cooled throttling issue

willyfisch

Hello there

I've been having issues with my Ryzen CPU throttling for a few weeks now, which I did not have before. I don't know since when I have it, maybe a BIOS update, but I hope someone here has an idea what can be causing this:

First of all, my speccs are:
      Ryzen 7 1800x (custom water loop)

Asus Crosshair VI Hero (BIOS 9920)

Corsair Vengeance LED 2x 16GB, DDR4-3000

The problem is, the CPU instantly throttles as soon as it gets heavy load, even on moderate overclock (for example 4.0 Ghz). The multiplier starts jumping around between -0x, -0.25x, -0.5x, -0.75x, -1x, -1.25x on several random cores (full load scenario):

It gets worse after running on load for a while.

On heavier overclock with overvoltage etc. (4.1Ghz) it's also even worse.

On top of that, I also get overheating throttling issues with heavy overclock. So the tCTL sensor shows 20° higher temp on all monitoring software compared to Ryzen Master. As soon as this sensor reports 95°, or 75° on Ryzen master respectively, it'll throttle to keep the temps down. I'm confused because I thought Ryzen Master is showing the "real" temperature and it would throttle at 95° Ryzen Master temperature, not 75°.

I had none of these problems before. I could run P95 for 24 hours at 4.06Ghz on all cores with no issues or overheating.

Message was edited by: Matt B We have updated the title of this discussion with relevant details to better describe your issue.