26 Replies Latest reply on Jul 29, 2017 2:39 PM by colesdav

17.7.2 drivers, no Windows 8.1

metalhead0

Why is there no Windows 8.1 drivers for 17.7.2? It's an exciting update but they completely dissed 8.1 users. I only use Windows 8.1 for DX 11.2 on BF4, gives better frames. Should I just go back to Windows 7?

• Re: 17.7.2 drivers, no Windows 8.1
          bsoverdose

Yeah, I think they're starting to end driver support for Windows 8/8.1. Depending on your system specs, you can upgrade to Windows 10 instead.

metalhead0

Yes, sorry. The drivers were new and I couldn't find a lot of information about it, but I read that yes, they are ending the support for Windows 8.1 They say to try Windows 7 drivers "AS IS" but they do not work for me. They do install, say BETA, but they do not have Enhanced Sync. I did try the Windows 10 version as well, but it could not find my video card. I assume that's a driver issue. Oh well. I can still upgrade to 10 if I want to.

colesdav

Don't you mean "Downgrade to Windows 10"?

I am really  disappointed that the new 17.2.2 GPU Driver is not supported on Windows 8.1.
                I see no RX580 or Vega drivers on Windows 8.1.

Nvidia are still supporting Windows 8.1 64bit drivers on the GTX 780Ti I am using on this machine whilst I was/am  "Waiting for Vega".

I do have a Windows 10 OS just to run DX12 so I guess I can try the new driver on that but that is not my OS of choice.

I still had been running  Windows 8.1 64bit when I needed to.

Having said that ...

It seems like more  telemetry patches have been applied to Windows 8.1 to make it behave more like Windows 10.

I am seeing very high CPU use frequently in Windows 8.1. Often in the range of 10 ~ 20%.
                That's without running any applications and Norton Antivirus on Silent Mode. 
                I am seeing ridiculously high CPU utilization when running Mozilla Firefox(100%) / Google Chrome(85%)  YouTube video.

The Audio Playback is set to 8bit CD Quality, so the Audio playback should not be a reason for such high CPU use.

I have run all sorts of Virus Checking including MalwareBytes, Norton, 360 total Security, etc etc.  etc and no joy. Nothing found.

My machine is running with all the latest patches, and has been checked for proper installation.

I am hoping AMD will put more effort into Linux Drivers and Vulkan Support.
                Please pick a Linux Distro to support heavily (Centos or Ubuntu perhaps).
                It would be nice to see a Radeon Crimson type GUI and features running on Linux.
                GPU passthrough is working on some Linux distributions with Ryzen Processors so Users should be able to run Windows 10 in a virtual machine on Linux just for gaming.

metalhead0

I've never tried Windows 10 before today. The Cortana thing is annoying, and I had to turn a lot of settings off. Other than that, it's pretty smooth.

Not sure about your usages... Google Chrome eats my RAM but not my CPU. Only 8% when I watch video on HD. Your 10-20% seems normal IMO.

I upgraded to 10 just for the Enhanced Sync.

colesdav

Hi,

A 20% CPU use doing nothing is  not normal for me in Windows 8.1.

Windows 10, yes it loves to eat CPU and network resources for sure given the chance, on the same machine. Even after disabling all possible privacy settings.

For anyone running Windows 8.1 it seems Update for Windows 8.1 for x64-based Systems (KB2976978) was a major cause of the high CPU use on my system.
                        I removed it, and just verified the CPU use is much lower for me now.

Removing it I now see 1-2% CPU use as I write this in Mozilla Firefox browser versus ~ 40% before removal if I was running the same tasks (Mozilla Firefox and Task Manager) with KB2976978 installed.

KB2976978 seemed to start lots of Windows System processes at start up which run for a long time and use lots of CPU resource and some network resource  just like my Windows 10 installation.

The description for what KB2976978 does seems pretty vague ...
                        https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2976978/compatibility-update-for-keeping-windows-up-to-date-in-windows-8-1-and

There is an article here --- I am not sure how accurate it is: Microsoft re-releases snooping patches KB 2952664, KB 2976978 | Computerworld

All I know is removing KB2976978 gets me to this on My Windows 8.1 machine running Firefox to type this response to you.

(My memory use is so high because I am running a RamDisk ).

Video Playback (1080p) running Mozilla Firefox now gives me 8% CPU Utilization rather than 99%.

Cheers.

elstaci

What type of AMD Graphics card are you using on your computer?

kingfish

Depends on your graphics card.

Latest AMD Drivers and Software

Radeon™ Vega Frontier Edition

Radeon™ RX 500 Series

Radeon™ RX 400 Series

Radeon™ Pro Duo

Radeon™ R9 Fury, R9 300, and R7 300 Series

AMD XConnect™

APU

Radeon™ R9 200, R7 200, R5 300, R5 240, HD 8500 - HD 8900, and HD 7700 – HD 7900 Series

Radeon™ R5 235X, R5 230, R5 220, HD 8470, HD 8350, HD 8000 (D/G variants), HD 7000 – HD 7600, HD 6000, and HD 5000 Series

AMD Radeon™ R9 M300, R7 M300, and R5 M300 Series

AMD Radeon™ R9 M200, R7 M200, R5 M200, HD 8500M - HD 8900M, and HD 7700M - HD 7900M Series

AMD Radeon™ HD 6000M and HD 5000M Series

Radeon™ HD 4000, HD 3000, and HD 2000 Series

Radeon™ Pro Workstations

FirePro™ Workstations

AMD Chipset, AHCI, USB 3.0 and RAID Drivers

AMD Socket AM4 RAID Driver

bsoverdose

There's no more Windows 8/8.1 drivers with 17.7.2, no matter what graphics card you have. Here's the Release Notes: Radeon Software Crimson ReLive Edition 17.7.2 Release Notes

You won't see Windows 8.1 in there anymore:

No more Windows 8.1 drivers.png

Unlike what it shows in 17.7.1:

Windows 8.1 drivers.png

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                            metalhead0

You are correct. You have to update to 10 to get Enhanced Sync support.

elstaci

Seems like only the VEGA & RX-500 series cards are, at the moment, the only cards not supported by Windows 8/8.1 .

Windows 8/8.1 users are very small in terms of the type of OS Windows computers use. Most of them will or have upgraded to Windows 10. Windows 7 is still the second most Windows OS being used by Windows Users on their computers.

rebelyell

that is correct. long live win 7

colesdav

RE: Windows 8/8.1 users are very small in terms of the type of OS Windows computers use. Most of them will or have upgraded to Windows 10.

Microsoft probably count me as having "Upgraded to Windows 10".
                                    Yes I have the OS.

No I do not normally use it and I do not want to.

Windows 10 has been forced on many people using GWX upgrade.

I have seen estimates that say Windows 8.1 use was between 10-15%.
                                    Around 50% are still on Windows 7.
                                    I think Windows 10 percentages are overestimated.

Windows 8.1 Product LifeCycle is here:
                                    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/lifecycle/search?alpha=Windows%208.1

Windows 8.1 Extended support ends at the end of 2023.
                                    Windows 7 Product LifeCycle sayes extended support ends at the start of 2020.

I think AMD should be providing Graphics Drivers for Windows 8.1.and Windows until the end of the lifecycle for both products.
                                    II will not purchase a GPU that will not have proper drivers for Windows 8.1.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                                        elstaci

Windows 8/8.1 has the following share as of January 2017 according Microsoft : Windows 8 slipped 0.04 percentage points to 1.62 percent, while Windows 8.1 stayed flat at 6.90 percent. Together, they owned 8.52 percent of the market at the end of January. The duo’s peak was 16.45 percent back in May 2015.

So basically, less than 9% of Windows users use Windows 8/8.1

colesdav

Thanks for the numbers ... again though it depends who you believe.
                                            Think about how Microsoft forced Windows 10 onto consumers laptops and PC's.
                                            They have a vested interest in reporting migration to Windows 10.

colesdav

This Survey still gives Windows 8/8.1 just under 12% Market Share as of today.

Windows 7 loses market share in latest reports

It was bound to drop from around 15% because of forced migrations with GWX "automatic upgrade" must have caught  a number of users.

I know of many less "tech savvy" or "non technical" users who suddenly switched on their Win 8.0/8.1 or Win 7  laptops to find Windows 10 "installed".
                                              Microsoft probably count that as someone "using" their Windows 10 OS and a gain in "Market Share".
                                              In many cases I personally know about, laptops were rendered useless with no way to roll back / or the upgraded system simply did not work
                                              correctly because of lack of drivers.

Many people, like me, are probably running Win7, Win 8.0/8.1 and "free" Win 10.
                                              What percentage of each Windows OS do I actually use?
                                              Probably 65% Windows 8.1 25% Windows 7 and 10% Windows 10 (just for running DX12 benchmarks / games).

Cheers.

gregregorovich

I just got my 580. Could not get the display driver to install. The DISPLAY DRIVER. It installed the HDMI driver fine. Sure, that's important. Had to install 17.7.2 W7 to get a working driver install utility to detect that I had a 580 and as such install the display driver. I tried W8.1-64 versions 17.7.1 and WHQL 17.4.4. Neither detected the 580. ***.

gregregorovich

Update: Radeon Chill isn't an option, neither is "Global Setting". The options are just not there in WattMan. Seeing as how I only have an up to 75 Hz Freesync panel, I was hoping to use it. Huh.

[EDIT: Maybe it has something to do with having to use a W7 64 driver to get the driver install utility to actually install at least a partially capable driver.]

Screenshot 2017-07-27 15.22.43.png

metalhead0

You'll have to revert to 7 or upgrade to 10 if you want the driver to fully support your card. W7 version on W8 is cut and doesn't have anything other than the display driver. It does work, I've tried, but it doesn't have Enhanced Sync and is missing some options, just like you're seeing.

gregregorovich

Well damn. You tried 10 on W8.1? Also, what's the last one known to work with 8.1 or are there none as of yet? Have I just got to hope for 8.1 drivers? On the bright side, I've been considering switching to Linux and running Hardware Passthrough for Windows, so as I cloned my OS onto a spare laptop drive to upgrade to 10 during the free period, I guess at least I have 10 for gaming. It bumps it up on my priority list :b ... Still, this sucks.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                                                        colesdav

Hi,

If you  are considering Ryzen (or better from AMD ... )  purchase (Windows 10, no Windows 8.1 support either ... )  you might find the following video useful:
                                                        GPU Passthrough for Virtualization with Ryzen: Now Working - YouTube

Good luck with setting up GPU Passthrough.
                                                        I have been working on GPU Passthrough with Linux running Windows on Virtual Machine with Ubuntu.
                                                        I have not completed the work yet.

I have had enough with using Windows as my main OS after the GWX Upgrade to Windows 10 tricks, Windows 10 telemetry, CPU use.
                                                        hidden telemetry patches in Windows 7 and 8.1, and poor Quality of Windows 8.1 patches.
                                                        Consumers cannot get a telemetry free version of Windows 10 the last time I contacted Microsoft about it.

Unfortunately Windows 10 is still needed for Gaming and DX12.
                                                        I am not completely convinced of the value of DX12, especially if it only runs on an OS that uses lots of CPU resource in background.
                                                        Last time I looked. Windows 10 "Gaming Mode" didn't help me.

Please let everyone know if you do have sucess getting GPU Passthrough to work and what Linux OS you used.

Cheers.

colesdav

For those who do not know it ... Windows 10 Upgrade is still free if you use Assistive Technology - for example ... do you need to use the screen magnifier?

Details here: Windows 10 upgrade for assistive technology users

You *might* be able to clone your Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 installation onto another hard drive, remove your personal / sensitive data, and then upgrade your
                                                          cloned drive to Windows 10 using the above link "for free".

That way you may have the possibilily of running Windows 10 for gaming / DX12/  get AMD Driver Support for your new RX580/Vega GPU Driver... or R9 nano ...

if you normally run Windows 8.1.

If that does not work for you then the cost of a Windows 10 License and additional hard drive will have to be added to the cost of purchasing a new Radeon GPU
                                                          if you want to stay on Windows 8.1. and have proper Driver Support.

I think this situation is ridiculous.
                                                          Windows 8.1 drivers need to be supported for current and new GPU's until the product lifecycle ends.

metalhead0

As far as I know, there aren't Windows 8.1 drivers for the RX 500 series. I have an RX 480 so the last Windows 8.1 drivers for that card was 1-2 weeks ago, they cut the support after that and never supported Windows 8.1 on RX 500.

TBH, I was a long time Windows XP, 7, and 8.1 user. Windows 10 isn't all that bad...

metalhead0

Also, yeah I tried the drivers for 7 and 10 on 8.1. It doesn't work. The drivers for Windows 8.1 and 7 are barely compatible.

daggerfall

I can imagine situation when you need Windows 8.1, Windows 7 - is too old for hardware or not optimized to work with it, but windows 8.1 work flawlessly and mainboard bios optimized for that version (mostly amd mainboards, x85 chipsets and older for example). You have some specific hardware which have stable driver only for windows 8.1. Non specific hardware - sound cards for example. I have compact media PC with sound card which have bad support in win10 and my vga card not from amd because of their driver quality.

I have had enough with using Windows as my main OS after the GWX Upgrade to Windows 10 tricks, Windows 10 telemetry, CPU use.

hidden telemetry patches in Windows 7 and 8.1, and poor Quality of Windows 8.1 patches.

Consumers cannot get a telemetry free version of Windows 10 the last time I contacted Microsoft about it.

You can disable most of it, but who knows what they hidden. Use gpedit.msc, taskschd.msc /s and block ms telemetry ip's through any firewall.

colesdav

Thanks for the response.

I guess you agree with me that Windows 8.1 still needs to be supported in AMD GPU Drivers then?

RE Windows 10 / Windows 10 telemetry: 
                                                            You can turn off lots of the telemetry and then you may well find it is back on again after automatic updates.
                                                            I want an OS where I do not have to constantly check and switch telemetry off.
                                                            The consumer "free" version of the Windows 10 OS seems to have been built specifically to collect data about the user and scan for advertising and other information. In addition there is a lack of control w.r.t. Windows Updates compared to Windows 8.1 and Windows 7.

Ubuntu Linux is currently working fine for me for most tasks including gaming, ... where the games are available on linux.
                                                            Virtual Machine on Ubuntu running Windows 10 with GPU passthrough should solve situation for non linux games.
                                                            Cheers.