2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 8, 2017 9:22 AM by amdmatt

Linux ubuntu crashing when rendering frames.

milopotato

I recently installed the AMDGPU-PRO driver for Ubuntu 16.04, no issues at all. (allegedly)

Whenever I load a Unity game, (specifically Unturned @ Steam) my graphics card shutdowns when attempting to render the menu

It seems to render 5-10 frames before the graphics card gives up, (the fans on the card stop spinning entirely, the monitor stops detecting a signal on the DVI-I port)

This could be an issue with how I inssalled the Drivers, (I followed the steps provided by AMD) The game, (I have limited bandwidth usage, meaning that I can't download games that are larger than 5gb) or the drivers entirely.

System Specs

i7 7700k cpu

GA-Z270X-UD5 motherboard

Crucial Ballistix Elite 2666MHz ram (2 x 8gb)

RX 560 graphics card

Linux Ubuntu 16.04 Operating system

EDIT:

After not getting any response, (thanks ) I decided to dig even deeper and found out that the Linux Kernel was to blame. I didn't realize that the kernel was in kernel panic when it rendered frames, and updating the kernel to 4.12.3 was the solution here. So for future reference, if anybody else with Ubuntu and an RX 560 card - Use 'Ukuu' to update your kernel to the latest version.

(install Ukuu by going to Software manager, note that it takes 5-10 minutes for the installation to complete. reboot when it says it's done unpacking everything)

Solved issue by myself. Thaaanks for respooonding.