3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 4, 2017 10:29 AM by ironhair

AMD drivers not updating.. stuck on 8.840.7.3000

ironhair

I have an old laptop on which I have AMD Radeon HD6630M.

I rather adventurously installed windows 10, post which I faced constant video driver problems.

After about a year of not using the laptop, I finally restored the factory image and am back to window 7.

Sadly, the BSOD still occurred.

It was first with the atikmpag.sys, but after I updated that file (using the atikmpag.sy_ file), it started giving me igdpmd64.sys errors.

I got the file from unzipping the install files > (AMD-Catalyst-15.7.1-With-DOTNet45-Win7-64bit\Packages\Drivers\Display\W76A_INF\B187676) and then using expand in cmd.

As that wasn't working, I restored the earlier atikmpag file (which I had saved as .bak) but I was back at square one (atikmpag.sys BSOD).

As I was unable to log in AT ALL, I decided to log in using safemode.

That worked thankfully, but I was unable to install the AMD drivers as the detection driver error stopped me from installing the drivers.
      I then disabled the AMD driver using Windows device manager and finally managed to log into windows 7 normally.

The AMD catalyst setup started, but I got an error at the end which said the display drivers have not been installed.

Packages for install

AMD Display Driver

Final Status:Fail
      Version of Item:15.200.1062.1004
      Size:90 Mbytes

On checking the amd driver details using Device Manager, I'm currently on 8.840.7.3000.

I'm at a loss on how to proceed.
      Any help would be strongly appreciated.