AnsweredAssumed Answered

ASUS RX580T8G strange throttling

Question asked by schwarzflug on Jul 22, 2017
Latest reply on Jul 22, 2017 by kingfish

Hi there!

I'm copying my thread straight from reddit (https://www.reddit.com/r/AMDHelp/comments/6ou6fc/asus_rx580t8g_strange_throttling/)

Computer Type: Custom Desktop

GPU: ASUS ROG-STRIX-RX580-T8G-GAMING 8GB GDDR5 @1451MHz core clock, 150% Power Target, 87°C Temp Target via ASUS GPU Tweak II

CPU: Ryzen 1600X with a Thermalright HR-02 Macho Rev. B @stock

Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B-350 PLUS

RAM: 2x 8gb Corsair cmk16gx4m2b3000c15 @2666 MHz

PSU: be quiet STRAIGHT POWER E9 | 480W CM

Operating System & Version: I.E. Windows 10N with all updates

GPU Drivers: Radeon Software Version 17.4.4

Chipset Drivers: shouldn't matter

Background Applications: shouldn't matter

Description of Original Problem: In some games I noticed framedrops from time to time. In Titanfall 2 it got so bad that I had <30fps for like ~1 minute but only a few times a day. So I went back to the monitoring & stability tools -> see Troubleshooting

Troubleshooting: I used GPU Tweak II to read out the clockrates and temps during gaming when the problem occured. The GPU clocked down to 300MHz - temps didn't matter.

Then I wanted to know when the GPU starts throttling, used Furmark and opened up my case to be sure everything has enough fresh air. Here are the results:

no throttling @65°C, 80% fan speed stopped after 10min
throttling @68°C, 60% fan speed after 3:15min
throttling @72°C, 50% fan speed after 2:25min
throttling @76°C, 42% fan speed after 2:05min

The GPU core temp doesn't seem to matter. My guess is that there is something else heating up and throttling but I don't know what.

CPU is out of question because it's cool enough and the RAM modules are also not affected by the GPU airflow. Maybe it's the mainboard? There is a passive cooler right next to the graphics card but this shouldn't happen right? It would be a big design flaw.

If you have an idea or a solution - just tell me!

Thank you in advance for your help & time.

Outcomes