13 Replies Latest reply on Jul 26, 2017 5:20 AM by randy1

AMD FX 6100 overheating

randy1

My AMD FX 6100 is overheating. Using CPUID HWMonitor the TMPIN0 is in the mid 30'sC while TMPIN1 runs around mid 60'sC at idle.

• Re: AMD FX 6100 overheating
          rebelyell

grab hwinfo64 and aida64 and check those temps again.. please.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              randy1

I apologize the Texas summer is frying PC and brain.

desktop HP H8 1210 Windows 7 Svc Pack 1 64 bit

Graphics NVidiaGeforce  GT 520 1GB DriverVersion 361.43 (this driver seems to work best with my favorite game...Civilization VI)

MB Gigabyte 2AC8 AMD970+SB950 BIOS Version ANG_716 Zambezi   HexaCore AMD FX-6100, 3900 MHz (19.5 x 200)

Motherboard Chipset    AMD RD980/RD990/RX980, AMD K15

Memory 10 GB DDR3 SDRAM

Monitor    Samsung SyncMaster 2494SW (Analog)  [24" LCD]  (HVLZ107164)

If I have forgotten anything I will certainly amend..thank you for any help and your patience.

currenty my temps at idle are: AIDA64..Motherboard    41 °C  (106 °F)

CPU Diode    26 °C  (78 °F)

these however are unusually low and seem to hover in the mid 60's during gaming..primarily the above mentioned Civilization VI

the only intensive graphics game I enjoy is the old Star Wars:Empire at War which certainly heats this PC up

Again thank you for helping an old grognard

hotrith

Hi, use Aida64 to control those temperatures, look for the overall temp and more important, the diode CPU temp, if the diode temp is higher than that, replace your thermal paste and do a proper clean to the cooler if needed, or for other measures, see if your CPU tower have problems with flow the air, in and out... or buy a new cooler.

randy1

Incidentally, I had just this afternoon re-cleaned my case and applied thermal paste Arctic Silver to my stock heatsink/fan.

randy1

As suspected, I ran Civ VI this morning and found CPU temp rose to 60C almost immediately. Just a little more info,thank you.

rebelyell

it may help to add the ambient temp when posting your pc temps. it seems hot down there in texas.. it dosent take much at all to heat up a cpu on air coolers with anything over 75 F .. especially thos fx cpu's we had for so many years

randy1

My office is generally 72F..outside hitting mid 90's everyday..brutal air you can cut with a knife,lol

rebelyell

yea those closed mid sized cases can be ruff to regulate. i see your running 3.9ghz is this turbo or manually clocked . that mid 60c temp with that clock could be due to needed extra volts on the cpu/NB voltage which the fx cpu loves but makes heat in seconds . you may need to look at getting a better cooler and intake and exhaust fans possibly. i always recommend a water cooler for fx. you may be able to get a corsair h60 or h80 to fit nicely in the front best. or rear exhaust at worst. but keep in mind the cpu/nb voltage is hard to keep down on ocing the fx. a big difference of 5celcius i found if a fan blows on back side of mobo directly on the mobo socket cpu die.. most cases these days have that spot for a fan. not sure if you have that option or not.

randy1

As it happens, I bought and installed a mid range air cooled (heat tubes big fan monstrosity that fills the case) cooler and better case fan that has the temps in mid 40's even playing my most demanding games in mid day heat.. I am the son of a very successful plumber and do not trust a water/coolant and electricity combination in any manner,lol. Having said that, I being a grognard must say that 90% of the aircoolers seem to be pretty much identical till you get to the brackets that actually mount it to the MB. Having an aging machine meant returning to Fry's twice(40 mile round trip,this is Texas you know) before finding one that even after I adapted it to the board by using parts of the intel and AMD fixtures with a trip to the hardware store thrown in to "engineer" the attachment. My foolish assumption that the side of the box as to it actually working with my MB would be useful,but all ended well and I thank you for helping me very much.It must be turbo clocked as I don't trust myself( a little knowledge is a dangerous thing) to tinker with anything that can cause permanent damage. Having an eye on AIDA64 I notice it overclocks seemingly at random even at idle and until recently believed elves lived in the black box at my feet and performed magic simply to amuse me, ignorance is bliss till you actually have to fix the darn thing.

rebelyell

they fx cpu's start to throttle around 59c to 62 c .. just so you know..

randy1

No..just installed the cooler a couple of days ago and thanks on trottling temps