I'm having freezing problems much like in thread Ryzen and IntelBurnTest Freezes. I first found the freezing problem when using IntelBurnTest (IBT) to test overclocking stability. But then I found out that even with BIOS default setting I still get freezes. When running IBT by itself then freezing doesn't happen so often and it doesn't last very long (2-4 seconds). But when I tried some extra load with opening and closing Chrome the longest freeze I got was over 90 seconds. I do realize that running IBT and starting and closing Chrome creates heavy workload and people have suggested that this kind of behavior is normal. But to me it doesn't feel normal. I tried the same test with my old Xeon E3-1230v3 setup and it didn't have any problems at all.
My current setup:
- Processor: Ryzen 7 1700
- Motherboard: Asus CROSSHAIR VI HERO, BIOS version 1403 (latest for the time being), default settings loaded
- Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V F4-3200C14-16GVK 2 x 16 GB
- CPU cooler: Noctua NH-D15-SE-AM4
- Graphics card: Asus GTX 1060 DUAL 6GB
- PSU: Corsair RM750x
- OS: Windows 10 Pro 64bit
As mentioned above freezes may occur when running IBT by itself but so almost certainly occur after closing Chrome. Here's how I tested:
- Started up Windows.
- Started InterBurnTest with Very High stress level.
- Started Chrome with few tabs.
- Closed Chrome.
- System freezes.
One interesting thing is that IBT's Linpack runtime doesn't seem to be affected by freezing. It looks like linpack is still running but everything else is frozen.
To demonstrate the problem I show a video showing how freezing happens. On the video there's also HwInfo and a simple self made Freeze Monitor program running. When freezing happens even mouse cursor stops. See IntelBurnTest and Chrome Freeze Test with Ryzen 7 1700 on Crosshair VI Hero - YouTube
As watching the whole video may be quite boring here are few direct links to highlights:
- First freezes. First a short one and then longer one: https://youtu.be/Yqm8Ttrrj7E?t=201
- Trying realtime priority to Freeze Monitor. No help. https://youtu.be/Yqm8Ttrrj7E?t=302
- Long freeze of about 80 seconds: https://youtu.be/Yqm8Ttrrj7E?t=475
Any suggestions what could be wrong or is this really normal behavior?