3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 19, 2017 8:13 PM by black_zion

Radeon HD & PCI-E

albert01

Hello, I'm looking for a Radeon HD video card to upgrade an older Thinkcentre  (SFF) with a PCI-e x1 slot.

I've come across several video adapters as I upgraded my 32" lcd monitor to a high resolution. Is one reason for the graphics card upgrade. (The built-in graphics has 128mb memory using another 128mb of system memory for a total 256 mb)

However I'm told that a Radeon HD might or won't work with PCD-e x1?

Two cards I'm currently looking at.

Sapphire Technology AMD Radeon HD 6770 1GB GDDR5 PCI-E HDMI/DVI-I/DP Video Card

LENOVO FRU 03T7092 AMD RADEON HD7450 1GB GDDR3 PCI-E Video Card - DP/DPI

I'm mainly looking for a faster card with more memory to connect to the new 32" Nec monitor with digital hdmi and dvi-d inputs.

For some video adapters I've come across minimum PC PSU power requirement of 300 watts and 350 watts. My Thinkcentre uses a 250 watt power supply

Any video adapter would need to have drivers for Windows Vista x64.

• Re:  Radeon HD & PCI-E
          black_zion

It should work using a riser card to make a PCIe x8 or x16 card work in a X1 slot assuming your SFF case can fit it (doubtful), but it's not a good idea considering your old power supply which may not be producing any more than 200w at 12v. My advice would be to replace the entire system. There are boards like the GIGABYTE GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI which are ITX so you can maintain the small form factor while having a full PCIe x16 slot for graphics.

• Re:  Radeon HD & PCI-E
              albert01

Ok thanks for the information.

I plan to eventually upgrade the Thinkcentre to a later model, but am holding on to this one as I normally run at least two pc's. This one has a retailed licensed Vista x64 which is old I know, but works for what I've need to use it for. I guess after upgrading for more than 35 years I hang on to computer items as long as possible, putting some of it into storage, I tend to hang on to some of the older stuff. My first PC used 64KB memory and a 4.0 MHz processor, I've gone through dozens of PC's since.

What I'll probably do is look around for a PCI video adapter as it has a 32-bit PCI 2.3 (5v) slot. However higher memory and faster video adapter seem to be more difficult to find that use a regular pci and pci-e x1 slot. However I idid find a Zotac GeForce GT 710 that shows it has a PCI-E x1 Interface.

here's a pic of the actual slot, appears it's designed for other pci interfaces besides x1.

IMG_0057.jpg

Zotac GeForce GT 710 DirectX 12 ZT-71304-20L 1GB 64-Bit DDR3 PCI Express x1 HDCP

It's new and they want $52.94. I was looking for something less expensive around $20.00 to upgrade a ~10 year old pc. But probably should just find two more PC's with newer architecture, better cpu, etc.

SPECIFICATIONS

NVIDIA GeForce GT 710 GPU

192 CUDA cores

1GB DDR3 memory

64-bit memory bus

Engine clock: 954 MHz

Memory clock: 1600 MHz

PCI Express x 1