26 Replies Latest reply on Apr 24, 2018 8:03 AM by ajlueke

That one game that sucked you in...

iamthesaga

Did you ever play a game that just sucked you into it? Any game.  New or old. I mean you just play it not expecting something and next thing you know you have 200 hours into a game in less that 2 months.  For me, this game is Star Ware: The Old Republic.  Yeah I know it's almost 6 years old but thanks to a certain havenbreaker for turning me onto this game, I have become somewhat addicted to it.

I remember when it was launching.  My buddy Jeff and I were gonna get it.  It seemed like the perfect game due to it being massive as well as Star Wars. Then I found out it was Pay to Play and I gave a big ol' NOPE and moved on.  Fast forward 5 years and I see Haven streaming this game quite a bit.  It sparked my interest and with it now being Free to Play, there was no excuse for me not to try it.

Here lies the other thing with me and this game...I've never played an MMO before.

*Gasp*

Talk about a learning curve! Now here's the kicker.  It took me a week....A WEEK...to become a subscriber.  Never in a million years would I ever think I would pay to play a game (aside from purchasing the game itself).  The benefits were completely worth it in my opinion especially with Haven helping me with some in game credits.  The stories are just FANTASTIC in my opinion and I love how everything is tied together.  I'm still learning so much but I have to say that I am having a blast with it.  I have two level 70 (max) characters and I am barely getting stated.

Now I ask you, what was that one game that sucked you into it?

• Re: That one game that sucked you in...
          whiskey-foxtrot

It definitely was SWTOR for me as well; played since launch, but took a year off here and there between deployments etc. After the last  server-first raiding guild (Torva Nex on the Jedi Covenant server) I was in disbanded due to SWTOR changes announced for version 5.x I haven't been on as much. You see, to me raiding was the only way to get some of the best end-game gear (other than achievements etc) and it was the only challenge left in the game; with 5.0 they took that away. Now everyone can get the same gear by doing dailies and pure luck - as opposed to skill; probably a good move for SWTOR because the game is more accessible to everyone.

As for subscribing, definitely agree - there's no way to remain unsubscribed AND enjoy what the game  has to offer, unless you only PvP. Some of the top ranked PvP'ers for example.

Right now the game I can play just about any time of the day is PLAYERUNKNOWN's Battleground; what draws me to it is that elusive Chicken Dinner and the challenge.

neon

It all started when I was on the way home, and made a pit stop at the bar in Magmetheus. I was sitting there relating my various tales of adventure. This dude comes up and says there's somebody in the parking lot wants to talk to me. So we go out there (did I say I'd been drinking?) and it's this guy Sludge, who I had some trouble with years ago. He's back on the street, tells me he's trying to elevate his being, relieve the pain of his humiliation, tie up loose ends, and... oh, also I need to die. His goon pulls out a gun. Next thing you know, somebody jumps off the car roof next to us, knocks both Sludge and his goon down, and we're running. The guy who helped me out quickly lead me around the corner to a hole in the wall. He says, "Jump in there! If I take the time to explain, we're both parking lot pizza!" I got sucked in, and ended up playing SpaceQuest IV for hundreds of years.

I think for me the game that I spent the most time on that just sucked me in was Left 4 Dead (both the first & second game). I bought the first game because a friend of mine was a fan of zombies and wanted someone to play the game with them. Fast forward a year later, and I was waiting in line for the midnight launch of the second game and had almost 300 hours in the first game and still occasionally play the second one.

I'm not really into MMOs but I have been thoroughly enjoying the new ESO expansion and spend a few hours every weekend just exploring my way through Tamriel.

I just wish there were like 5-10 more hours in a day so I could spend more time playing video games.

zealotki11er

I have played a lot of games but nothing has had the effect of World of Warcraft back in 2004-2005. I was missing school to play this game.

whiskey-foxtrot

I got in near the end of the first Vanilla releases - I didn't get in sooner as I heard of the addictive nature of that game That whole thing about not leaving the computer with empty bottles nearby etc wasn't a joke and didn't seem like something I wanted to get involved with. But I broke and finally got in. Only stayed for about 2 months though and called it quits one day. I tried last years beta out, and while it looked nice etc, it was way too simplified for my tastes. I'm glad I didn't get sucked into that one though.

ajlueke

For me, that would have to be Baldur's gate II: Shadow's of Amn, and Baldur's Gate II:  Throne of Bhaal.  The excellent voice acting, fully fleshed out party members and antagonists really took the series from a graphical reboot of the SSI D&D gold box games to something else entirely.  Still one of my favorite tactical RPGs of all time.

Unfortunately when I hear SWTOR, all I can think of is Mass Effect.  The lead writer of Mass Effect 1 and 2 (brilliant games character and story wise), Drew Karpyshyn, was sent to work on SWTOR leaving Mass Effect 3 in the hands of writers far less capable.  Mass Effect 3 disappointed me thoroughly with story elements that made no sense in the context of the first two games.  I'll never see the conclusion to the trilogy that might have been, and SWTOR is partly responsible for that.  That is why I will never play it, the reminder of the cost is a bitter pill indeed.

iamthesaga

I know lots of people that have a bad taste about SWTOR.  Myself being a fan of Star Wars, I had to try it out. I must say, the stories..yes stories...are soooo good.  Some many views and things to do.  You can play 100's of hours through the different classes just getting through the main story lines.

whiskey-foxtrot

That is exactly what I love about the game (SWTOR) as well. Sometimes I'm in the mood for yolo'ing and not giving a hoot - I'll go PvP troll, story missions, scavenging, crafting etc - you know, your typical low-key stuff. If I want fast paced action, I jump on commanders, and harder lvl raids. There's something for everyone, at any time of the day.

mtcos

6 months http://www.europabarbarorum.com/ and still haven't finished the map conquered, that was before i switch to linux

xobeloot

I'd have to say that WoW was my *Game Crack*  for a long time.  Back when I played in a raiding guild (approximately Launch thru WotLK) I was typically logging at least 2 days of play time per week.  I eventually quit towards the end of WotLK, but like a bad addiction, I keep going back every time something new launches.  I own all of the expansions up thru Legion, I own countless pieces of merch from hats/shirts to digital nothings for in-game.  I even have the Horde symbol tattooed on my leg.  Many games of many different genres have twinkled in my eye briefly since then, but nothing has destroyed my life quite the way WoW did.

blazek

Diablo 2, WC3, StarCraft Brood War, SubSpace Continuum, RuneScape, some games that I really played a lot of early on.

kxuping

StarCraft Broodwars (PC) most hours player by far.

Grand Turismo 4 (PS2) most hours on racing game.

Alan Wake (PC) most hours on scary game.

Quake 2 most hours on FPS multiplayer (all mods included).

staggeredsix

I would say Star Control 2. If you haven't played it, check out "The Ur Quan Masters HD" for a remake. By far my favorite game of all time. Massive open world, massive customization and weird aliens. Good times were had on my 3DO.

walking_corpse

Okay so this could be any number of games (Diablo 2, Quake, Half-life), but it's not. The #1 game that sucked me in is Football Manager (Soccer). I spent my teenage years in the UK, and I caught the bug for sports, mainly Football. It ran on almost anything, didn't need internet and you could play multiplayer by taking turns at the PC. Fantastic for a teenager with low disposable income. Required a fair amount of tactical knowledge, statistics (and luck), but it wasn't demanding to play so your performance after an hour was fairly similar to your performance after a 30-hour marathon. It didn't even have much of a real-time element until one year's update finally included player icons that moved on a top-down field, but it didn't matter. It was addictive!

pkusku

Lots of game which was titled here like RuneScape, SWTOR, ESO, Path of Exile. MMO generally

benman2785

X³ - Reunion - 2500h min
                                        Diablo 3 - 3000h
                                        Perry Rhodan Operation Eastside 4000h (old but gold)

CS (all together) 6000h xD (since beta xD)

red5

Civilization - the original, circa 1991

eisegreis

Fallout, Witcher & TES games, Eve Online, Anarchy Online, 7Days2Die, Kenshi to name a few.

I generally love playing games that offer a lot of content and keep me busy for a while.