1 Reply Latest reply on Aug 2, 2017 9:04 AM by amdmatt

XFX R9 290 DD - No Signal

circuitbomb

I purchased my XFX R9 290 in Jan. 2015, and have been happily running it with no problems until July 12, 2017(last Wednesday).  After being AFK for a few hours I returned to my PC to see the screens black, and not displaying anything.  Rebooted the system and the monitors displayed No signal.  I've been trying everything to get my displays back in working order but nothing I've tried so far has fixed the issue.  As I mentioned before, I've had it a while and have had no problems with it before, no overheating, no glitching or graphical artifacts etc...

The problem

Screens go black and display 'No signal' as soon as the system loads Windows (right after the little circular loading graphic).  The problem persists after re-installing AMD drivers, or the moment the AMD display driver is applied.  The problem occurs no matter which device port I use for my monitors (HDMI or DVI), though there was a short period where the HDMI port displayed fine (for about 30min), but then it started doing the same thing.  Without AMD drivers installed the monitors do display over HDMI or DVI with the Generic Windows display driver in both normal and safe modes.

Things I've tried:

I've attempted to use multiple different display cables, no change. 

I've swapped out the PSU PCI-E cables (8-pin and 6-pin are both in use), no change.

I've made sure the card is set into the PCI-E slot properly and is not drooping, no change.

I've done a complete clean OS install, no change.

I've attempted to install current and previous driver versions, no change (using DDU tools and AMD removal utility)

I've swapped in a different graphics card which works fine over DVI/HDMI.

I've made sure BIOS and graphics card firmware are up to date, no change.

I've reset my BIOS settings to optimized defaults, no change.

Desktop System Specs

CPU: AMD FX  8250 8-core 4.0ghz

MB: Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3P rev.1.0, BIOS version F2j

GPU: XFX R9 290A Double Dissipation 4GB DDR5 Black OC Edition (never OC'ed) (latest firmware)

Memory: Corsair Vengenace Pro Memory 4x 8GB (32GB)

PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower 850w Gold Edition

Display 1 : Acer R240HY @ 60hz 1920x1080 (My typical setup has both displays running over DVI)

Display 2 : Acer R240HY @ 60hz 1920x1080