1 Reply Latest reply on Aug 2, 2017 10:25 AM by amdmatt

AMDGPU Pro on CentOS 7.3

v.konti

Dear AMD,

I recently purchased an RX480 8GB for use on my CentOS system, running Davinci Resolve 14, Fusion 8 & Houdini 16.

Being an SSD only system, after the initial system installation, it was recommended I updated my Kernel to 4.12 stable, in order to receive the much required speeds for my drives, something that is imperative for -especially- Davinci Resolve to work properly. Therefore, I installed AMDGPU-PRO 17.10 (praying to all gods, given a previous installation really bad experience) and it was successful. As also -successful- was the installation of Black Magic's Decklink software.

Then, when everything was running correctly (but really slow, still), I upgraded the Kernel. The SSDs gained a significant boost (127MB/sec went up to 210MB/sec). AMDGPU-Pro protested about not being able to install the Kernel Module. However, the drivers were able to work on the 4.12 Kernel, but the display speed was almost equal to the 3.10 Kernel. To compare, I placed an older system running on a 580GTX 1.5GB and found the RX480 performing about 12-14fps on the same tasks versus 55-60fps on the 580GTX.

The fact was that I was even more worried about Black Magic's hardware, since they informed that they had updated their Kernel support for up to version 4.11, but it installed and worked perfectly on the 4.12. Something that was not the case with your drivers.

Now, even if I try to adjust the Kernel (which had all the tools & headers installed, including the devel files) or even back-roll to the stock Kernel, I get a fatal error from the AMDGPU-Pro, which completely disables my system with the "white screen of death". I checked the issue on the DKMS and it pointed out on files that exist ONLY on the 3.10 Kernel development files. In short, the AMD-DKMS is useless for any other Kernel version & it disables the OS. Therefore, my only option (hence the "praying to all gods" comment above), should I continue to utilize the RX480 is to either have a driver update that can support later Kernels or a complete CentOS re-install (again). The latter -due to SSD downgrade- is not a desirable option.

My question is:

Do you have any plans in the immediate future to add support for further Kernels?

The reason for my asking is that I have a demanding project beginning and the only option I currently have is to use my 580GTX and then exchange my RX480 for an nVidia equivalent. The truth is you have a great card, but the driver support is severely lacking on the professional Linux platform where all VFX applications are officially released.

If you do not, then I will regretfully have to retire my 2-month-old RX480.

Thank you for whatever info you can provide.