Asus strix rx580 8g / ati sapphire x1650

Windows 10 Pro x64

Vizio 24" LED 1600x900 64hz hdmi

Dell LED 1280x1024 64hz dvi-d

AsRock x370 Killer sli bios ver 2.50

Ryzen 5 1600x

PSU: 800w bronze

Adata 16gb ddr4 (8x2)

So i bought a new pc. Booted it up and had artifacts on screen in bios and windows.

20170709_162633.jpg

20170709_163623.jpg

Figured i got a bad gpu so i rma'd the rx580.

I wanted to be able to use the pc while i waited for a new gpu so i picked up a ati sapphire x1650. Also having artifacts on screen with it.

20170713_155108.jpg

With the rx580 whenever i tried installing drivers the screen would go black.

With this old x1650 i installed the legacy drivers for it but in device manager it shows microsoft basic display adapter.

Also a flag for "video controller"

20170715_004622.jpg

I'm close to sending the whole system back.

Hopefully someone can help.

• Re: Artifacts and vertical lines on screen
          whiskey-foxtrot

Based on your description the issue is either with your display(s) + cables, or your motherboard, unless in the unlikely event you ended up with 2 damaged GPUs.

I'm not sure what steps you've taken to troubleshoot the issue and you didn't indicate whether or not this happens on both displays you have listed. If it happens on both, you might want to verify that the card(s) are seated properly in the motherboard and all PSU cables are hooked up.

Have you tested the displays on your old computer (with the same cables if possible)? I would do so to rule out the displays; if they are working (with the same cables), it'll most likely be an issue with your new system.

loyalopposition

Sorry i wasn't real clear. I have tested the displays, they work fine.

I've reseated the cards. On the rx580 i made sure the power cables (4 pin + 2 pin) were connected properly. The x1650 doesnt have any power connectors, guessing it gets it's power through the pcie?

I have an old Dell in the garage but i think its got an agp board. I could probably find someone to let me pop the x1650 in their pc to test it.

If it works in a different pc then the problem is likely my mobo or psu? Is it possible there is a cable loose somewhere?

Is there any tests i can perform on the mobo?

Should i pull my multimeter out and test the psu?

whiskey-foxtrot

I don't want to send you on a wild goose chase; eliminate the problem pieces on your system, systematically. If that old ATI card works on another newer system you might want to test the PSU and the motherboard if it has any access points like the Asus Crosshair motherboard do.

After the BIOS update, did you try to run the BIOS on default settings? ie no changes to OC's or other power settings?  I don't think it's a bus interface compatibility issue (PCI-e 1 vs PCI-e 3) as it should(TM) be backwards compatible, besides you already had this issue with your RX 580. It could be bad power phases/regulators on the mobo or something as simple as a BIOS misconfiguration. Either way, I would probably contact your system's manufacturer or whoever built the system for service/warranty options at this point.

bosleymw

This is uncanny, and it can't be coincidence. I am having the same problem. Like, the lines I see look exactly the same. I bought a system off eBay with the following specs:

ASRock AB350 Pro4 AM4 ATX mobo

AMD Ryzen 5 1500x 3.5GHz

MSI Radeon RX 580 8GB OC edition

16GB (2×8GB) GSKILL DDR4-3000 Trident Z

ATNG 600W 80 plus PSU

WD Blue 1TB HDD 7200RPM

Corsair H60 liquid cooling system

Windows 10 Home Edition

Acer x193w / AOC G2460pf 1920x1080 144Hz monitor with Freesync.

When it arrived, I hooked it up to my monitor, an Acer x193w that maxes out at 1440x900 on DVI. I noticed the lines right away, but I figured it was probably a combination of the outdated monitor and the graphics drivers not being installed. At the time I was more concerned about how Windows was not properly installed on the system as advertised and having to go through the hassle of fixing that. I packed up the thing, wrapped it, and put it under the tree as my Christmas present from myself (and my wife). Meanwhile, I went and picked up a new monitor (AOC G2460pf) knowing I would need it to use my new GPU to its full potential.

So Christmas day comes and I finally hook up my new desktop to my new monitor (which has been working fine with my old PC) for the first time. To my suprise, I get absolutely no signal using DisplayPort or HDMI cables between the RX 580 and the new AOC monitor. I finally tried DVI, and that worked, but with very similar funky lines as had shown up on the old Acer monitor. "No big deal," I thought, "I'll just install the graphics drivers and that will solve everything."

Needless to say, it didn't. In the middle of the driver install, the screen goes black. Not only that, but the system froze. "How do you know without a working display?" you ask? Because it doesn't shut down without pressing and holding the power button. I could get DVI signal in BIOS, still with funky lines, but lost any video signal after Windows startup. No DisplayPort, no HDMI, no nothing. I had to do a Windows 10 reset just to undo the failed install of the graphics driver, because, as you know, Ryzen 5 does not support onboard graphics.

Everything you described, I'm also experiencing, the Microsoft basic display adapter thing included. I haven't picked up a different GPU to test yet, but I get the impression it would produce similar results.

I have no convenient way to test the RX 580 apart from my new PC, as it's not compatible with the PCI-E 2.0 slot on my old PC. Reading this post gives me the impression it's not simply a faulty GPU, though. I updated the mobo bios to the latest version (3.30), but that had no effect. I confirmed it is a UEFI bios and not the legacy mode bios the RX 580 is incompatible with. I may try fiddling with the CMOS or the power cables next, but otherwise I'm at a loss for what to try. I really want to figure out a way to get a working display off the RX 580 before I port over my SSD from my old PC.

Besides the fact we're both using a combination of RX580, Ryzen 5, and ASRock mobo,  what's the common denominator?