4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 12, 2017 1:09 PM by artmods

BaseCamp

artmods

Description

This Case Mod is dedicated to those who have perished climbing Mt.Everest.

May you continue your adventure in peace.

This is my entry to the MSI PRO MOD Season 5

I hope you all enjoy!

1k7X5cS.jpg

Greetings everyone! My name is Sean or most know me as (Seananigans/ArtMods) and I hail from the United States of America.

You can find me/follow me at:

Twitter: https://twitter.com/ArtMods_

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/artmodsofficial/

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ArtModds/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3YgN9KvgPOaYuOOUna0QfA

Website: https://artmodsofficial.wixsite.com/artmods

In the build/mod I will be using the following hardware (some subject to change) I will update and add more as the mod progresses.

Case: InWin 301

Motherboard:  MSI B350M Mortar Arctic AM4

CPU: AMD RYZEN 1500X

PSU: EVGA 600W BQ

GPU: MSI R7 370 4G GAMING OC

SSD: XPG SX240GB

Below are all the parts I received so far.

24pkt2b.jpg

All this hardware brings me to the conceptual artwork for the case mod. This case mod is special to me. It is more or less a memorial for those whom set out to summit the great Mt. Everest and were lost along the way.

As a climber myself I think about these brave and adventurous people every time I go out to climb. It was them, who gave me the courage and aspirations to become a climber back in 2011. They made the ultimate sacrifice in the name of exploration. So this build goes out to them,

the ones who were brought back to camp and the ones frozen in time that remain on that mountain range.

Lets move left to right on this concept design. (Now remember, this is a concept, that means it WILL change and evolve as the mod goes on.)

On the left we start at the top, where an Ice pick is lodged into the front and top of the case as if the case was a sheet of Ice. This serves as a handle to carry the case around. As we move down the case you will notice the "Base Camp sign" This is the shroud to cover the factory PSU enclosure and will be an exact (scaled down) replica. Below that (not pictured yet) the GPU will have a back plate to look like rock and ice to give the feeling of the base camp, the cold, and the terrain. Stringing off of that will be Tibetan prayer flags in which the fans will blow them in the wind releasing prayers into the atmosphere and give it the ominous and chilling feeling that we all see in the photos. I am still debating on painting a mural on the motherboard tray of the mountains.

To the right of the photo the outside of the case is going to be simple. I am putting some orange in there (on the back panel door and the lights in the front) to represent the tents and equipment at base camp. The front of the case will have a sheet of ice where the Ice pick will be inserted (not pictured). At the bottom of the case, I will be using crampons as case feet, I thought it would give it a bit of an edge.

25z08xy.jpg

PSU SHROUD (FIRST MOD)

Now, we start the modding process! The PSU shroud is something I always start with because it will set the tone for the whole case.

I start with some .25 aluminum sheet. I measured out the length and height in the case and made sure it covered what I needed it to. Then I technically drew the design onto the aluminum using the measurements. From there I double, triple and quadruple checked it to make sure my size was perfect.  After all that I used tin snips to cut the design out. I sanded the edges down with sandpaper. Starting with 50G to get the large burs off then up to 120 to smooth it out, then to 400 to give it a very fine finish.

167qz6a.jpg

After that is all hammered out, flat, smooth.  I then set the shroud up in the paint booth. Here, I use self etching primer as my first coat. When dry, I use industrial black finish (for loading docks) and give it a once over. Then, the Curio comes into play with me measuring out how much space I need for the text at first. Then I pull an image from Photoshop cut out the letters, throw it into silhouette studio and cut it out on vinyl. This "positive stencil" is then applied onto the black coat.

t98qrb.jpg

BACK TO THE BOOTH!!! I set up the shroud with the stencil applied and give it one coat of yellow paint. When this is almost dry (not too tacky) I peel off the stencil. The reason behind that is because I do not want the stencil (with dry paint on it) to pull off the surrounding paint.

I then take red acrylic paint and outline the edges of the shroud.

169rosz.jpg

We are close to the end! I am starting to add some detail now, the letters underneath with the arrow through it and the white (whatever the heck it is) splashed on it.

286zthc.jpg

And there we have it! The final Product!

WELCOME TO BASE CAMP!

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=286243.0

I have been working on the design for the front panel of the InWin 301. A lot of thought was put into it and a lot of preparations had to be made in order to cut through this steel. I want to give a HUGE thank you to LMT-Onsrud for providing and helping me get the perfect milling bits for the job (that fit in a Dremel rotary tool).

To begin the process I started off doing a lot of research for images of Mt. Everest, the Basecamp and I tried to find the names of the fallen adventurers as well. I decided to not go with the names because, well frankly there are too many. I liked the Idea of cutting the mountain into it so that's what I went with.  I brought the design into Silhouette Studio where I then created the template to send to the Curio to cut on vinyl. I then applied the vinyl to the front of the case. Using the LMT mills and my Dremel, I started cutting out my basic shapes making sure not to hit the edges of the vinyl stencil to leave room for the finished edges.

nq5mic.jpg

From there I used a variety of Files, Grinding discs and more mills to expand the design across the front panel. This means I started cleaning up the edges as well. After that was done my Dremel 3000 finally died on me. The gears got stripped and the whole tool was piping hot to the touch. So I went out and picked up a Dremel 200 hoping it would do the job in a pinch, and it surprisingly came through for me. So I used some cutting discs and more filing to pull my design out a bit more. I added quite a bit after with a pencil so I could pronounce the shapes of the mountain. When I used the cutting wheels I added some straight thin lines to try to create some depth within the piece.

zmjx54.jpg

Then came the sanding using a variety of sandpaper and then more filing and more sanding to get all of the burs off creating a smooth surface.

Final product after milling/sanding

o73h28.jpg

I am currently cleaning it up a bit more as I noticed (in the photos) some spots that need to be hit with a file. After I go through it a few more times with the file and sandpaper, I am going to be sanding the whole case, then applying my paint to the exterior.

After I cut out the the Mountain on the front panel, I went back in and cleaned it up. I sanded it more going up to 1200g and then Started the painting process.

First thing to do was to gut the case. Then the left overs that were riveted in were masked with blue tape. I then took it over to the spray booth and let loose with the rattle can. I did 1 coat every hour until I achieved the finish I wanted then let dry for 48 hrs.

10i6v4i.jpg

In that time I was able to start on the window.

I used the Silhouette Cameo to cut out a Vinyl stencil to etch the map of Mt. Everest camp sites on the window.

From there I put the vinyl down and started the etching process. (yes there are bubbles, but it doesn't make a difference in this application)

n5sdxh.jpg

I used a thin chemical/etching paint mix to start the etching off. This was to ensure that IF the vinyl were to come off, I would still have a nice etched look (gotta cover your rear end). After that was dry, I went back over it with 60G, 120g, 400g, and 1200g sand paper. This turned the chemical etch more opaque (not too much though). I went a little overboard with the opacity of the etch because I wanted it to show up in final photos.  

xpbvo9.jpg

So after the 2 day etch it was time to check out the paint job on the case. I finally got the finish I was looking for. So I took it out of the booth and put it back on the shop bench.

I was having some issues with my concept design. It was just too... much. A wise man once told me that "If you run across an issue that you can not resolve on the spot, you need to sleep on it" So I listened, and slept on it. The next day I woke up to a wet shop, It had rained the night before and the water had gotten under the door flooding a part of the shop. So while getting the water out, it hit me. The window needed something else... RUST.  It needed to resemble a lost piece of equipment stranded in the mountains and torn by the elements. Metal, rust, decay. The representation of those that were lost up on those mountains along with their supplies. So I pulled the paint out and started doing some Liquid leafing and rust effects.

This is the part I really can not explain because this type of painting is all about YOU. There is no right or wrong way to age or do faux rust. Just make sure you have a dark and a light color. In this case my choice was a Brown and Orange, a little bit of water and a Chip brush. Popped on some music and away I went.

34zddg5.jpg

And then popped it back in to see what it will look like.

ndncp5.jpg

I really like details. Small details that you wouldn't think twice about. Even if you can't always see them, you know there there and without them something would be missing.

So I started out by rusting up the InWin logo and a few internal parts.

6jnk9w.jpg

After that, I started my design for the Ram Using Fusion 360 and used some copperfill filament to use for the 3D Print.

28lx99c.jpg

Up next, I started painting the Motherboard tray using some metal flake paint. Then the installation of the painted parts began.

2j0idki.jpg

I then inserted some mesh into the front of the case where I cut the Intake "holes"

313kt1w.jpg

Then, it was time to start putting the hardware together! Using the MSI Arctic Mortar and a AMD RYZEN 1500X CPU.

35in703.jpg

From there I ordered an Alphacool Eisbear from ModMyMods as well as the AM4 plate.

kd71gk.jpg

Then It was time to install all my 3D Printed parts. The Copper also started Oxidizing which looked really neat.

2q9wide.jpg

The GPU needed some love so I added a wood back plate as well as some wood accents to create a natural and winter feel to the interior.

ivagax.jpg

The Case was coming together nicely so far. Just needed to add the Adata XPG SSD and the Primochill hardline! I also added some Tibetan Prayer Flags to give it that Tibetan/Mt. Everest Base camp feel (They also flap in the wind from the fans).

1zw2695.jpg

Then added the Mayhems Non stain Yellow

2e4wz2c.jpg

And it was finally ready

msero8.jpg

Final Photos

10d5evo.jpg34h9b9t.jpg

30vlj6b.jpg2dv0k7.jpg2072ps8.jpgx5rsk1.jpg

213hw8k.jpg

2wgbojr.jpg2n6stps.jpg

why2za.jpg2rnh3pi.jpg

Thank you all for viewing my work log! I hope you enjoyed!

Specifications

CPU1500X
      CoolerAlphacool EisBear
      MotherboardMSI Arctic Mortar
      Memory-----
      GraphicsMSI R7 380
      Disc Drive 1ADATA XPG SX830 240gb
      Disc Drive 2-----
      Disc Drive 3{drive3}
      PSUEVGA Supernova 600w
      CaseInWin 301
      Monitor-----
        • Re: BaseCamp
          whiskey-foxtrot

This is truly a beautiful dedication, and I love how you captured a lot of the elements I can relate to - from the good 'ol base camp to Kala Patar with demarkers (prayer flags) and all; Heck I even see elements from the Tea houses along the way!

Thank you very much for sharing this great mod with us.

artmods

Thank you so much! I am so happy you recognize a lot of the detail and research I did. You named pretty much everything I have studied to make this mod come to life. I spent most of time gathering pictures, talking to people who have been to Tibet/Nepal and reading as many articles as I could (since I unfortunately have never been). I really wanted to get the colors and the atmosphere of the mod as close to reality as possible. It really makes me happy and is super cool that you can relate to it.

xobeloot

Absolutely gorgeous Sean! I had no idea what to expect when you announced this build, but as I saw the parts start to arrive and the build progress...  Just, WOW!

This is a build to go in a museum somewhere.