4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 11, 2017 11:57 PM by kangaroop

R9 270 Black Screen After Windows 10 Clean Install

kangaroop

I built a PC with Windows 7 Home 64-bit using the R9 270 (Gigabyte R9270C-GD).  Upgraded to Windows 10, no problem (this has been about a year ago).

Had to reinstall Windows 10 from USB and now, after about 5 to 10 minutes of it working, the Windows disconnect tone sounds off and the monitor goes black.  I've tried moving the card to another PCIe slot and several other things I've read at various forums with no success.

I've also put in a tech support ticket and have yet to hear back from AMD.  What I'm really concerned about is reading a forum post at Tom's Hardware that said there was no fix for it at all.  Several other posters advised to ditch the card and go with an nVidia card (which I would hate to do, since I've been using AMD cards since they were ATI, religiously.)

After several days of research and several attempts to fix the problem, I'm at the end of my rope and hope someone here can help me out.

Thank you in advance.

• Re: R9 270 Black Screen After Windows 10 Clean Install
          goodplay

Please supply INFORMATION REQUIRED WHEN POSTING A QUESTION for someone to offer assistance.

And why did you "had to" reinstall W10 ?

• Re: R9 270 Black Screen After Windows 10 Clean Install
              kangaroop

Apologies, I should have done that to begin with.

•GPU:  Gigabyte Windforce R9-270C-GD

•Desktop PC

•No GPU drivers installed at the moment (can't get that far).

•Monitor:  Acer R240HY 24" with resolution of 1920X1080

•Motherboard:  Gigabyte GA-H77M-D3H

•CPU:  Intel Core i5 2500K @ 3.30 GHz (Ivy Bridge)

•PSU:  EVGA SuperNOVA G1 650W

•RAM:  8 GB (Two matching 4 GB modules)

------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm not entirely sure what the problem was with Windows.  I received a report that the PC would hang on boot and I tried to repair it but with no luck, so I ended up taking it home with me and successfully reinstalled Windows 10 from USB, downloaded from Microsoft's website.  The onboard video works fine, by the way.  It's only when I turn off the PC and reinstall the card that I have problems.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

I received this email and followed the instructions, exactly.  Problem still persists:

"Your service request : SR #{ticketno:[8200759973]} has been reviewed and updated.

Response and Service Request History:

Thank you for the email.

I understand you are getting black screen after 5 minutes of system usage on your computer with AMD Radeon R9 270 graphic card.

Please try the below steps to perform clean installation of drivers

Please reset the BIOS settings to default and connect the graphic card on a different PCI slot or use any other port to connect the monitor.

Perform clean uninstallation of the drivers using DDU Utility (Display Driver Uninstaller) by launching it in Safe mode. It will help you completely uninstall AMD graphics card drivers and packages from your system, without leaving leftovers behind.

Then install the 17.7.1 drivers and check the status.

http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/desktop?os=Windows%2010%20-%2064

Thank you for contacting AMD."

Thanks again, in advance, for your help.