3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 10, 2017 7:37 AM by black_zion

Shopping for an upgrade

nycaribou

I'm looking for an upgrade to my current video card. Here are my specs-- all the parts were bought quite a while ago, and I don't have the money to upgrade the entire rig. So please, only suggest upgrades that work without being ***ABSOLUTELY***  forced to upgrade further hardware, because we all know how it's designed--- this will NOT work with that, which will NOT work with this, etc etc until it's impossible to avoid an entire new computer. I only have the money to upgrade one piece, and I'm looking to upgrade the video card.

Here are my specs.

ASUS P8H61-M LX (REV 3.0) LGA 1155 (UEFI Bios)

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P8H61M_LX/#overview

Core i5-2320 Sandy Bridge 3.0GHz (Quad-Core)

2x Western Digital WD Blue WD10EALS 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5"

SAPPHIRE 100328L Radeon HD 6770 1GB GDDR5

Driver version 15.301.1901.0

ASUS Xonar DX 7.1 Channels PCI Express x1

http://www.asus.com/Sound_Cards_and_DigitaltoAnalog_Converters/Xonar_DX/

2x Kingston 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) 8 GB total RAM

Antec EarthWatts EA-650 GREEN 650W ATX12V v2.3 Power Supply

Lancool PC-K58W Midtower Casing

Logitech Z313 25W Stereo Speakers

ViewSonic VA 2342 23" HD; LED Backlit LCD

HP Deskjet 2540 Series USB combo printer/scanner

Windows 10 64-bit (free upgrade from Windows 7 as offered by Microsoft)

• Re: Shopping for an upgrade
          black_zion

Sandy Bridge processors still hold their own these days given how Intel slacked off so badly and only offered around 5% performance improvement with each new generation as they had no competition for a while. Power supply is adequate for most graphics cards. UEFI BIOS so there's no compatibility issues. The only issue is that thanks to cryptocurrency miners the only cards available from both camps are the very high end (Fury X, GTX 1080 series, Titan series) and the very low end (RX 560, GTX 1050).

My advice would be to wait a few months and let the market settle back out, with Ether prices falling and special mining edition cards being released by multiple companies this round of the mining craze should taper out and cards come back in stock. Once that happens, you can go for any you wish. The RX 580 is near 500% faster than your current card, and retailed for around $275 before miners drove the price into the troposphere. Of course upcoming RX Vega will be immune to the mining craze, but will be priced around $400, granted it will carry the performance to justify it.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • Re: Shopping for an upgrade
            goodplay

But a rx 460/560(4gb) is a big upgrade on the 6770, they will pass min. specs on many games.