6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 16, 2017 3:44 PM by hardcoregames™

1700X XFR Voltage

randa71

Hi all,

i have a simple question: i have hwinfo running and i see voltage spikes of 1.570 for vcore and 1.544 for SVI2 TFN CPU. I know that spikes are caused by XFR, but are they safe for my CPU? In bios voltages are all set to Auto. Cpu is 1700X with Asus Crosshair VI Hero. I have only set Sense Mi Skew -->disabled, because with last bios release (1403) if i leave Sense MI Skew to Auto, CPU temp shown is wrong: 10°.

I wanna know in AMD forum if these voltages are safe and correct for my cpu..this voltages are applied directly from my motherboard...

Thanks a lot

• Re: 1700X XFR Voltage
          amdmatt

If running at default settings, those brief spikes are perfectly safe and nothing to be concerned about.

randa71

yes running at default setting. Thank you

rebelyell

ive hit 1.582 v on auto. its totaly normal its ryzen adapting to your cooling solution, the better your cooling the higher it will clock and requires those 1 ms spikes to keep it stable.

its pretty common people get voltage and heat confused to what damages a cpu.  the voltage isnt the killer its the heat that kills it and prolonged heat is worse at the max heat limits.

sirwilde

I was really very worried about those voltage spikes of my R5 1500X. The Vcore goes up to 1.475, and VID around the same.

Are all chips like that, Matt? I thought my mobo or chip is faulty, cuz 1.475 seems way beyond AMD specs.

rebelyell

Matt is on vacation but should check in from time to time...

but that is totaly normal.. we get alot of people asking that...if you are more curious. check out the ryzen videos from lisa sue on youtube she explains how the frequencies and voltages will adapt too your personal cooling solution.. its basically a power saving feature. since it just needed 1 or 2 ms to push some data then done. if you put it on a load test it will drop. its pretty amazing how effecient they are.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                    hardcoregames™

all processors voltages flinch around, been that way since the 1980s

it was the earliest power management technique