17 Replies Latest reply on Aug 13, 2017 8:00 AM by rebelyell

Compatibility with G.skill TridentZ - will it defect/corrupt when changing RGB? (DDR4)

seanw

Currently the internet is completely covered with fear about compatibility with the ryzen CPU's and TridentZ RGB DDR4.
      My question is short before i install these currently in my hands and newly bought rams,
      Will they work on RGB control if i dont overclock my system with the ryzen 1600x? Or will they break with a '' SPD corruption'' whatever that is, over a time?

Should i change the TridentZ - F4-3200C16D-16GTZR ( 8GB HYPNIX A-Die )

To the                        Trident Z - F4-3200C14D-16GTZR ( 8GB Samsung B-Die )

just bought for a ryzen 1600x CPU with ASUS rog strix x370-f gaming motherboard.
      i'm no PC expert but all i can wonder is why do people have good results with the samsung B-Die over the hypnix A-die?
      But more importantly... what will/should work?
      the 16D or 14D...

I hope sincerely for a quick reply so i can return the rams tomorrow if necessary for other ones that are '' compatible when touching RGB control ''.

• Re: Compatibility with G.skill TridentZ - will it defect/corrupt when changing RGB? (DDR4)
          whiskey-foxtrot

If you have the option to change to the F4-3200C14D-16GTZR (same as the ones I've been using F4-3200C14Q-32GTZR), I would go for it. Eventually the HYNIX die will most likely be supported, but if you want your PC set up now AND get up to the rated frequency (3200MHz), go with Samsung B-die.

As for RGB controls, ONLY (and I cannot stress it enough) ONLY use 1 (ONE) LED controller app. Install ONLY Asus AURA -OR- G.Skill LED controller app - NOT both. You WILL have issues if you try to use both. Even installing one and trying to uninstall it will cause issues if you install the other one.

SPD corruption is not a result of the AM4 platform, but simply a fault in how SPD data is written/accessed by Asus' AURA software. G.Skill's current beta app is based off of ASUS' AURA. In short, AURA writes directly to SPD without proper interlocks; if you have any other app open (CPU-Z older than 1.79.1, HWINFO, AIDA64 and similar monitoring apps), you can cause SPD corruption - RGB type memory, or not.

If you need help later on with the G.Skill RAM, I'll gladly help - I have several write-ups on Youtube, my sites and on G.Skill forums about this - but you will be fine if you follow the above.

• Re: Compatibility with G.skill TridentZ - will it defect/corrupt when changing RGB? (DDR4)
              seanw

I remember your image from youtube and i watched some of your video's yesterday haha what are the odds!
              Thank you for your help i'm gonna check how long returns will take.

A final question. of a scale from noticeable improvement from 1 to 10. how much would you rate the increase of ram speed on ddr4 from the default speed of 2133 to between 2800-3200 on a ryzen 1600x - asus rog strix x370-f gaming motherboard? i heard people speaking about '' ryzen infinity fabric '' whatever that is.

Because if it will barely be noticeable i might just wait out a update.

seanw

i forgot to mention: for gaming and casual streaming here and then only.

whiskey-foxtrot

It's hard to place a number on it as it can be subjective, so the next best thing I did was benchmarks and noticed an increase overall - just for this post I decided to do a quick comparison using CInebench between my memory speed at 2133MHz and 3200MHz. I know this is just a benchmark, but I have also noticed a good 10fps or more in various games with an extreme of ~20fps in Ghost Recon: Wildlands at near ultra settings.

(Light orange indicates the current score)

OpenGL: 100.61 -> 115.56

openGL-3200.pngopenGL-2133.png

Multicore: 1533 -> 1735 (the top 2 scores are also mine with 4000MHz memory and 3466MHz)

multi-core-3200.pngmulti-core-2133.png

Single core: 161 -> 163. This had the least noticeable increase, but this can be finetuned via the BIOS.

single-core-3200.pngsingle-core-2133.png

Even with the memory at stock frequencies you'll be fine on your 1600x, but if you have it, you might as well use it right?

seanw

Thank you again, i did return them and will be expecting new rams by Tuesday. the 14C this time with samsung B-Die.
                          Would you suggest a manual overclock of my CPU through BIOS?
                          Or is the way JJ does it in this video: Newegg Insider: AMD Ryzen 7 Auto Overclocking to 4.0GHz with Walkthrough & Benchmarks - YouTube 
                          Better for me as a beginner?

Secondly. Should i first unlock the RAMS to 3000 or 3200 if possible and then boost my CPU? or the other way around.
                          I hope you could perhaps assist me to boost my new PC safely for the extra power without touching voltages to much to higher levels that could be harmful.

So far, i can't thank you enough for the crystal clear assistance.

Gr. Sean.

seanw

p.s. I automatically assumed you can auto-overclock the 1600x as well? as they used the 1700x in this video.

whiskey-foxtrot

You can certainly try it JJ's way - however I'm not sure how that would work on your board or if the same tools and flexibility are available.  If you're just beginning now, it would be a good way to get your feet wet! I would also monitor the ROG forums on the Asus website as they frequently post guides and other tidbits of useful information.

Before getting into any kind of OC'ing of course, you will want to start off with all the default settings - install Windows and make sure ALL drivers and Windows updates are complete. Run some benchmarks and stress tests to make sure everything is good to go and to get a basic idea of what your system was before overclocking/tuning. The next step is to update your BIOS (you can also do this before everything else) to the latest stable release, preferably one that includes AGESA 1.0.0.6 (1 or 2). Once it all seems to be running make ONE change at a time while keeping an eye on system stability; small steps! One mistake I see a lot of folks make, they'll jump in all the way and max everything out they can! Any OC'ing or tuning has to be done in steps until you hit a point of failure and you work your way down again to a stable spot.

I'm not going into details on how to OC on here, but I'll be more than happy to answer specific questions.

As for your memory OC; once you have your BIOS updated, try the drop down values in the BIOS and reboot. You may have to enter in the timings and voltage (marked on the package). The Strix motherboard should also have various preset OC settings in the BIOS - experiment with those without changing anything else. Again, make 1 change at a time.

Sidenote: I generally stay as far away from Asus' "Tweaking/OC'ing" tools as they all suffer from poor programming (bad interlocks I mentioned earlier in the post) - The only option I use is their fan controller - I will NEVER OC through the OS (especially not using their tools).

seanw

Thanks again for your well explained commentary.
                                      For now i will make sure the system is stable once it build.
                                      Then i will update the bios to the mentioned releases (only if available) and perhaps research what the updates has done to improve, or maybe decreased.
                                      Then i will run a stability again on the new BIOS.

I will then begin my research on beforehand experience of overclockers on the specific hardware in my system to see if i can get valuable experience beforehand before touching anything in my bios.
                                      Then i will begin to make steps at a time. by then i will keep updated here if i ever get stuck or something unexpectedly occurs.

My goal is to stay in the ''savezone'' but just get this extra available and free boost that should not be harmful to my hardware.

anyway, thanks again and ill keep this post updated when my system is build next week and see if the rams are compatible and up to change.

seanw

As a side note, i currently have a cooler master g750m  80+ bronze PSU.
                                          Would you highly suggest a other PSU or is this a fair one and should keep it when overclocking.

What could a degrading PSU do to my PC? Will it be visible for me to know when to change it on time? or will it make my whole system go dead if the PSU degrades by change in powers? or whatever could happen.

Setup:
                                          ASUS strix x370-f gaming
                                          ASUS strix 1070 gtx oc 8g
                                          ryzen 5 - 1600x
                                          Kraken x62 CPU cooler
                                          NZXT RGB fans.
                                          Corsair 780GT tower
                                          G.skill ddr4 - 3200mhz 

whiskey-foxtrot

That PSU should be more than sufficient for your setup;  the bronze/silver/gold/platinum gimmick, I mean ratings simply indicate efficiency ratings; if funds allow you can always upgrade to a higher rated PSU. Yours is 80+ so that's already a good step forward.

A degrading PSU can do a lot of things and it depends what's causing the degradation; if you're on an ungrounded circuit, and suffer from frequent brownouts etc, you certainly can have components on your PSU go out, which may even affect other parts in your system. I've seen all parts affected over the years. Get a decent surge protector or better yet, a UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply) if you can afford one - this is one step I do not skimp on. Cyberpower is a great brand to look into - Stay away from the overpriced APC if you can avoid it.

PS, these are just my opinions, not AMD's - I generally don't like to mention specific brands.

rebelyell

i believe 1 question about rgb  or aura was well covered exept from what i have been reading rgb dont allow for indipendant lighting, basically stuck to 1 or 2 colors. if you have aura it works with the indipendant lighting affects which i use on strobe . and looks really good.

1 other thing, its usually best to not clock ram at 3000mhz. and best practice to oc ram before cpu to get them at max. then move cpu up till you the unstable mark and back down a notch. if you oc cpu  1st you may not get ram to the most you expect.

got my rgb sticks on the way.. looks like monday  ...

foxyraven

Even though this reply is very late, I wanted to reply to say that Yes this combination will work.

I personally have a Ryzen 7 1700, Asus Rog Strix X370-F, and 16 GB of G.SKILL TridentZ RGB (16 CAS) F4-3200C16D-16GTZR

The memory worked right on a fresh motherboard install, it was doing it's RGB rainbow effects on first boot before I even got to update the motherboard's bios. So I updated the bios right away and then proceeded to tweak the memory settings, First I tried using one of the many template profile settings provided, rebooted however the system just hung, so after resetting the bios jumper, This time I decided to skip using any of the provided profiles, and I just manually set the memory to 3200mhz, left the default CAS timings alone, bumped the voltage for the DRAM to 1.35v and SOC voltage to 1.2 (not sure if this is necessary but just a setting I've used in the past with a previous Ryzen build with corsair memory and a msi mobo) and rebooted and it accepted the change with zero issue with zero fuss.

Here's a screenshot showing CPU-Z showing that I got the memory set to 3200 on an Asus ROG Strix x370-F:

http://i.imgur.com/M8SmXDa.gifv

For those who don't understand the numbers CPU-Z shows, keep in mind that memory is Dual Channel so that's 1600 x2 which gives you 3200MHz.

Pic of the RGB running in sync with the mobo using the Asus' Aura software (no need to download and install G.Skillz software):

http://i.imgur.com/8HCvz1i.jpg

rebelyell

yes yes yes and yes jesus h can ya mark this done ***. flare32oo duh