6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 9, 2017 8:11 PM by just_kradon

System Freeze When Installing 17.4.4 - R5 M230

just_kradon

Hi all,

I was trying to install the latest graphic driver which is 17.4.4 but at the half of the installation the PC freezes and responds to no mouse moves then i rebooted the PC via power button but it didn't start properly and got stuck at blank screen, uninstalled the driver via DDU in safe mode and it got back normal. I tried to install the driver on a fresh installed Windows 10 on my PC but got the same result. Please help me get rid of this also reported this issue to AMD's survey.

PC Lenovo G510

Graphics: Intel HD4600 + AMD R5 M230

Ram: 8 GB

Message was edited by: Matt B We have updated the title of this discussion with relevant details to better describe your issue.

• Re: PC got freeze at the half of the installation of Relive driver 17.4.4
          elstaci

It will be more helpful with more information about your computer specs. Went to Lenovo about your laptop. Seems like you're running a Windows x64. Did you download the correct drivers for your Windows OS (x32 / x64)? I notice the latest video driver on Lenovo was from 2015 and only for VGA  for Windows 10 x64, For Windows 8.1 (x64) it did show AMD Video drivers from 2013 to install. Try running the Lenovo Diagnostic for Video Interface at Lenovo Display Interface Test for Windows 10 (32bit), Windows 8.1 (32bit), Windows 8 (32bit), Windows 7 (32bit), windows… with your current driver and see what it shows. The above test is if you are running Windows 10 (x32), I don't know if it will work with Windows 10 (x64).

just_kradon

Yes, my fault i have Windows 10 64 bit and of course i'm not downloading drivers from lenovo's site which is appearently not up to date. The problems mentioned above is about this 17.4.4 driver that downloaded from AMD's official site, if you check the supported products you'll see R5 M230 is supported, if it would not be a supported graphic card then there would be no way for me to get 17.4.4 driver on the available updates on Radeon Settings App. http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/mobile?os=Windows+10+-+64

FYI I've also submitted a ticket about this issue i'm facing to AMD Customer Care, and i want to post my reply here too that includes an additional issue which i've noticed today.

My Reply to AMD Customer Care

"

-I am currently using the driver version 16.1.1,

Capture.PNG

-Uninstalling the driver via DDU in safe mode fixed the issue, system restore failed for many times. Driver rollback was also useful at my later attempts of installing the 17.4.4 driver and getting rid of the problem mentioned above.

-I just clicked on the installer at my first attempt, but then i even used DDU in safe mode and tried to install in my later attempts but didn't work either

- No, i don't get any error messages PC just gets freeze and doesn't even allowed me to move mouse or  responds to caps lock button that i've noticed from caps lock light on PC.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Today i've searched for the previous drivers released by AMD on here (http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/desktop/previous?os=Windows%207%20-%2064 ) and realised that i face the same problem every time when i try to install any Crimson "Relive" edition driver and i tried to install the 16.1.1 Crimson driver which is not a "Relive" edition and it was successful

and here we come to the important point. Normally i was getting this freeze / blank screen problem mentioned above and in the previous email when i try to install the 17.4.4 driver from the installer manually downloaded from AMD's website. Today i tried to upgrade the driver from 16.1.1 to 17.4.4 via the "Radeon Settings App" which comes with Crimson edition drivers.

Oddly i was able to upgrade to 17.4.4 driver which i was not able to via manually downloaded installer but after restarting PC after the installation PC got BSOD with stop code: THREAD STUCK IN DEVICE DRIVER

"20170704_131309.jpg

elstaci

There is a newer AMD driver that came out on 06/14/2017 version 17.6.2 . See if that newer driver has the same problems as the current driver you have installed. You can download it manually (Full not minimal Driver package) from AMD Support at:

Mobile

Before installing any AMD drivers, need to be certain that Windows 10 (x64) is fully updated via Windows Update. If Windows Update shows no new update available, then install the AMD drivers using the same method you described earlier. Kingfish has stressed that Windows OS must be completely updated before installing any AMD drivers to properly work. Also make sure you delete the AMD installation folder at C:\AMD before reinstalling the AMD drivers again. For Your Information Only.

nospheratu

I am experiencing the same issue and I've found that all drivers after 17.3.3 exhibit this THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER bug check randomly on my system.

Please download Crimson ReLive Edition 17.3.3 Optional drivers and try them out if you have not done so already.