2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 7, 2017 1:29 AM by wolf_22

AMD 7970M Issues w/ Skyrim on Windows 7: Launcher never recognizes adapter?

wolf_22

AMD Community -

I'm trying to play Skyrim with my laptop's AMD 7970M. The Skyrim launcher doesn't appear to recognize the 7970M in the list of graphics adapters but device manager shows that it's installed and working as follows:

(Skyrim Launcher Lacks AMD 7970M.)(Device Manager Shows AMD 7970M.)
      no_7970m_skyrim_launcher.jpgdevice_manager_shows_7970m.jpg

Right now, the Radeon Settings control panel shows me holding at software version 17.4.4 (Crimson ReLive):

radeon_settings.jpg

Here's other version information:

Radeon Settings Version - 2017.0424.2119.36535

Driver Packaging Version - 17.10.1731-170424a2-313748C-CrimsonReLive

Provider - Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.

2D Driver Version - 8.1.1.1599

Direct3D® Version - 9.14.10.01261

OpenGL® Version - 6.14.10.13474

OpenCL™ Version - 22.19.162.4

AMD Mantle Version - 9.1.10.0189

AMD Mantle API Version - 102400

AMD Audio Driver Version - Not Available

Vulkan™ Driver Version - 1.5.0

Vulkan™ API Version - 1.0.39

The Windows 7 laptop I'm working with here is up-to-date with Microsoft's latest updates but no matter what I do, the Skyrim launcher always and only shows the OEM graphics (twice) instead of my actual GPU. I've tried deleting Skyrim preferences, etc. to no avail and I'm just not sure what else to do. The last time I remember the drop-down showing the 7970M was back when I was using the AMD Catalyst 14.4 drivers back in 2016. Sadly, I still have those and tried them last night but for whatever reasons, it didn't help: the motherboard graphics still showed in the launcher twice and whenever I try to play Skyrim with both the TESV.exe and skyrimlauncher.exe set to "High Performance," the highest frames-per-second value I get is a max of about 60 (often fluctuating lower towards low 40s to mid 50s).

Any help with this would be appreciated but I'm curious if the launcher options even matter? Maybe the settings override that??? If so, I wonder why the Skyrim preference files show the Intel(R) HD Graphics 2000 adapter as being the display adapter being used?

Help would be appreciated and thanks in advance.

• Re: AMD 7970M Issues w/ Skyrim on Windows 7: Launcher never recognizes adapter?
          ray_m

Since both the device manage and Radeon Settings correctly show the Radeon HD 7970M, this would appear to be an application issue. I would suggest you contact the developers for recommendations on what might be causing this issue - you possibly need an updated launcher.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • Re: AMD 7970M Issues w/ Skyrim on Windows 7: Launcher never recognizes adapter?
              wolf_22

That could be, Ray. I'm currently working with an AMD representative about all this. He had me send him a copy of my DX Diagnostics and in reviewing it, indicated that my 7970M wasn't showing up as one of the displays. Because of this, he indicated that my system isn't recognizing the AMD drivers... So he had me download the latest DDU, run it in Safe Mode, then in "normal mode," re-attempt the AMD driver installation. (By-the-way, the drivers he advised I use were these: Mobile (17.6.2).

So I did all that and the Device Manager, etc. all look like they did before--perfectly fine. DX Diagnostics still isn't showing the 7970M as one of the displays nor is Skyrim providing it as an adapter to select from... I'm kinda lost at this point and I've updated the rep about all this. I'll post back if he follows-up.

(I keep suspecting that the Intel drivers have something to do with this--they're up-to-date, though. Not sure if that plays in a good way or bad way but I updated them back when I first stated trying to update the AMD drivers like I thought I was supposed to do. Maybe I shouldn't have done that?)

Oh, and attached is a copy of my DX Diagnostics in case you're curious.