AnsweredAssumed Answered

radeon drivers crashing then GPU goes 100% for no reason

Question asked by techstepman on Jul 2, 2017
Latest reply on Jul 11, 2017 by amdmatt

windows 7 pro 64 bit service pack 1

radeon software 17.4.4 downloaded from amd site

system ram 16 gb

processor Intel Core i7 - 3930k cpu 3.20Ghz

amd radeon r9 390 8bg (default settings no overcloak) the box says: SAPPHIRE Tri-X Radeon™ R9 390X 8G D5

i got a dxdiag DxDiag.txt - Google Drive

I just did a complete format and installed windows and all necessary drivers. I was using firefox and was surfing the net checking my facebook mails and stuff. Then after some lagging weirdness and a screen flicker i get a driver crash message. At the time i had msi afterburner open monitoring and suddendly after the driver crash GPU usage topped at 100% ( i literaly closed all programs and just stared at my desktop ) and stayed there until pc shutdown. This happens every time no matter what im doing, it might happens 1 minute after i open a browser or an hour later while im watching a vid in youtube. If im playing a game the pc completely crashes leaving me the only option to reset since i get a black screen and sound gets stuck , star trek online almost never fails to crash like this, other games rarely do that. Temperatures are normaly just fine but after such a driver crash the gpu goes crazy trying to burn itself. Right now my temp is around 49 C and everythings normal as i write this.

To tell you the truth guys and gals i got no idea whats happening and what i have to do to give you a complete idea of what im dealing with. This has started happening around january 2017. I had no such issues before. Lately it is so frequent that i decided to format. After the format i only installed the windows 7 service pack 1 and other necessary updates for the windows and all the latest drivers for my hardware as well as my antivirus. This is the first time that a problem persists after a format.

I will need you to share your wisdom with me and help me try to isolate this. I dont trust my pc manufacturer to resolve this issue so i gotta figure this out myself. Has anyone dealt with such issues? Is it driver related? Is it windows fault? Could it be a hardware problem?

Outcomes