15 Replies Latest reply on Jul 11, 2017 6:25 AM by amdmatt

radeon drivers crashing then GPU goes 100% for no reason

techstepman

windows 7 pro 64 bit service pack 1

radeon software 17.4.4 downloaded from amd site

system ram 16 gb

processor Intel Core i7 - 3930k cpu 3.20Ghz

amd radeon r9 390 8bg (default settings no overcloak) the box says: SAPPHIRE Tri-X Radeon™ R9 390X 8G D5

i got a dxdiag DxDiag.txt - Google Drive

I just did a complete format and installed windows and all necessary drivers. I was using firefox and was surfing the net checking my facebook mails and stuff. Then after some lagging weirdness and a screen flicker i get a driver crash message. At the time i had msi afterburner open monitoring and suddendly after the driver crash GPU usage topped at 100% ( i literaly closed all programs and just stared at my desktop ) and stayed there until pc shutdown. This happens every time no matter what im doing, it might happens 1 minute after i open a browser or an hour later while im watching a vid in youtube. If im playing a game the pc completely crashes leaving me the only option to reset since i get a black screen and sound gets stuck , star trek online almost never fails to crash like this, other games rarely do that. Temperatures are normaly just fine but after such a driver crash the gpu goes crazy trying to burn itself. Right now my temp is around 49 C and everythings normal as i write this.

To tell you the truth guys and gals i got no idea whats happening and what i have to do to give you a complete idea of what im dealing with. This has started happening around january 2017. I had no such issues before. Lately it is so frequent that i decided to format. After the format i only installed the windows 7 service pack 1 and other necessary updates for the windows and all the latest drivers for my hardware as well as my antivirus. This is the first time that a problem persists after a format.

I will need you to share your wisdom with me and help me try to isolate this. I dont trust my pc manufacturer to resolve this issue so i gotta figure this out myself. Has anyone dealt with such issues? Is it driver related? Is it windows fault? Could it be a hardware problem?

• Re: radeon drivers crashing then GPU goes 100% for no reason
          kingfish

I am stuck at your comment " I just did a complete format and installed windows and all necessary drivers". Your idea of 'necessary drivers' ? Windows 7 must be fully updated before installing any AMD driver. SP1 and all 'critical', 'recommended', and all relevant (no language packs,etc) 'optional' updates must be applied first. Go to Windows Update and run it...if you Do Not get the message "There are no more updates"..keep installing them till you get that message.

If you are having problems updating your OS, read the fix here > Windows will not update after a fresh install

driver stopped responding and has recovered

Delete all third party graphics controllers. Trixx, Afterburner, MSI, Asus, etc. They cause conflict with AMD/Wattman controls.

techstepman

I installed windows and the updates it needed.  Then i installed all the other stuff like drivers for the motherboard that windows update did not detect on its own. How can i monitor my gpu without afterburner, i remember there was a way but i no longer see an option? The problem was there even before i used afterburner and before the format that everything was up to date. Basicly the format was pointless i just wasted my time.

Anyway i went ahead and uninstalled afterburner. I'll reinstall the drivers ( though im afraid it wont work). Is AMD system monitor safe? or should i get rid of that to? EDIT: problem persists.

2nd edit: now i just had 3 crashes on windows (black screen ,sound stuck , unresponsive) while watching a vid  about a new geforce 1080 ti in youtube....had to reset...i think my radeon just realised im looking for alternatives and its doing it just to cause me more grief...it didnt let me watch the vid...im hoping i wont have another one as im writing this. I think its getting worse. What other causes could there be if we exclude the drivers and temperature as a reason?

(just talking to myself here) i think i just had enough...if i cant find a solution to this i'll just go buy the latest nvidia card and be done with this whole problem ive been dealing with being an ati/amd fanatic for almost 20 years(?). I mean enough is enough...760 euros was it?...yeah it must have been that much...paying 760 euros to get all this grief. seriously guys i just want to watch a youtube vid without having to reset 3 times. Yeah i know venting on this forum wont help me but i just dont know how to deal with this. The latest nvidia one is sold at around 950 euros over here and thats if my motherboard and the rest of my system is gonna be compatible with it. Does amd know about this issue with the r9 390? I ve read in these forums and in reddit that many ppl have similar or the same problems but no permanent solutions.

colesdav

If you are running AMD Crimson, which you indicate you are ... (17.4.4)  then you should be able to see the GPU Clock and Ram Clock in the Games -> Global -> Global Overdrive Settings Tab. You should not need to run any other overclocking software with AMD Crimson ReLive 17.4.4. It might cause issues if you do.

RE: nd edit: now i just had 3 crashes on windows (black screen ,sound stuck , unresponsive) while watching a vid  about a new geforce 1080 ti in youtube....had to reset...i think my radeon just realised im looking for alternatives and its doing it just to cause me more grief...it didnt let me watch the vid...im hoping i wont have another one as im writing this. I think its getting worse. What other causes could there be if we exclude the drivers and temperature as a reason?

Did you check your CPU Utilization in Task Manager when runnig Youtube in Firefox?

Try watching your Youtube video in Google Chrome instead of Firefox. Do you still see the problem?

RE: (just talking to myself here) i think i just had enough...if i cant find a solution to this i'll just go buy the latest nvidia card and be done with this whole problem ive been dealing with being an ati/amd fanatic for almost 20 years(?). I mean enough is enough...760 euros was it?...yeah it must have been that much...paying 760 euros to get all this grief. seriously guys i just want to watch a youtube vid without having to reset 3 times. Yeah i know venting on this forum wont help me but i just dont know how to deal with this. The latest nvidia one is sold at around 950 euros over here and thats if my motherboard and the rest of my system is gonna be compatible with it. Does amd know about this issue with the r9 390? I ve read in these forums and in reddit that many ppl have similar or the same problems but no permanent solutions.

I think you need to take a break from this problem and take a rest.
                  I have already stated I see a similar problem running with an Nvidia card (780 Ti, on latest Nvidia Drivers, but with Windows 8.1).

Cheers.

colesdav

What setting do you have for: Use Hardware Acceleration When Available in Firefox?
                    What happens when you switch it off?
                    Thanks.

kingfish

Issues watching YouTube and other 2d applications have little to do with 3d issues playing a game. The standard 'fix' for applications like YouTube crashing/unresponsive is to disable hardware acceleration in your browser(s). This is why every browser has the option.

If you have set everything as I suggested, what gaming results are you having now?

colesdav

RE: I was using firefox and was surfing the net checking my facebook mails and stuff. Then after some lagging weirdness and a screen flicker i get a driver crash message.

I am not certain this is an AMD Driver issue ...  I think it might be a Mozilla Firefox & playing Youtube and rogue "chrome.exe"  processes causing a CPU Utilization issue.

Please open Task Manager and have a look at your CPU Utilization. Set View-> Update Speed-> High. What is it doing? Is your CPU Utilization high / spiking to 100%?.

I have noticed this issue since a few months ago and it seems to have been getting worse recently.

I run Windows 8.1 latest version and all updates on i7-4770K (Overclocking off).
                    If I launch Mozilla Firefox and I then run Youtube I have been noticing, from time to time, that the mouse lags really badly , the audio runs at a slower speed,  and the visual output  (in this case from an Nvidia 780Ti primary or from an an AMD R9 280X secondary ) to the screen "misbehaves". 
                    It got so bad I thought maybe PC Virus, but Norton and other AntiVirus checkers says the machine is clean.

If I am also running a game, along with Mozilla and youtube, and this Mozilla Firefox/Youtube problem starts, then sometimes the game will abort or freeze.

and I have also seen both the Nvidia Driver and the AMD Driver crashing in this case, depending on which card I was running.

Strangely when I tried to see what processes were causing the 100% Utilization I could not find them easily in Task Manager.
                    I did see a couple of cases where there were a large number of "chrome.exe" processes consuming lots of CPU resources after running Youtube, but with the Youtube video paused. 
                    All I know is if it happens I shut down Mozilla Firefox, and restart it without running youtube, and the problem goes away. CPU utilization drops down to 5-10%.
                    I can often rerun the same youtube video and everything is fine.
                    I still need to report the issue to Mozilla - I only checked it out on Windows 8.1. so far.

I will be running some work on the same machine but with Windows 64bit later today so I will lake a look at the behaviour there.

Hope this helps.

Cheers.

rebelyell

videos and firefox just dont mix bruh.. chrome can handle it..   if all fails try this driver if it dont work i have another that people use to fix issues..

http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/desktop/previous/detail?os=Windows%207%20-%2064&rev=17.5.2

techstepman

Ok so i took the PC over to a computer shop and ive just been told that the graphics card is dead. He said he has dealt with other r9 390s before that had the exact same problems and thats why he stopped selling anything amd in his shop. Apparently , he says , these cards are faulty. When i took it to the shop the PC would power up and i heard 3 beeps from the motherboard...black screen. Apparently the card wasnt getting any power , its fans were not working... It was practicaly brand new. Now im sure AMD will definately say its not their fault but i trust this guy so im through with AMD...thank fully the warrantly is still valid...so ive been told that it will probably take about a month but they will give me a new card...which im going to immediatelly gonna sell so some noob who is gonna be willing to get it. I just ordered Nvidias Gigabyte GTX 1080 TI Founders 11GB...so screw you AMD. After almost 20 years of faulty and troublesome graphic cards i go away ,over the nvidia side. My friends thanks for taking the time to help me.