1 Reply Latest reply on Jul 3, 2017 7:01 PM by 1q3er5

Display loses connectivity (static display) during gaming

1q3er5

Graphics Chipset - Radeon (TM) RX 470 Graphics  MSI video card

Memory Size - 4096 MB

Memory Type - GDDR5

Core Clock - 1242 MHz

Windows Version - Windows 7 (Service Pack 1) (64 bit)

System Memory - 8 GB

CPU Type - AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 940 Processor

Driver:17.10

When I play CS:Go my display monitor goes completely static (similar to static on a TV channel) and I have to manually reboot in order for my display to function normally.  I don't necessarily need to be gaming for hours for this issue to show up - seems random.  I've had this issue since day one with 3 different drivers.  I have an older 60 hz Samsung monitor and am using a dvi connection.  Please help.

• Re: Display loses connectivity (static display) during gaming
          1q3er5

Hi people, so yesterday I went on a gaming binge (CS:GO) ... the only think I changed was adding these 2 values to my autoexec.cfg file in the game folder:

fps_max 300

fps_max_menu 300

This basically limits the maximum frames that will be drawn.  With my super old CPU I am unable to ever get 300 fps in game anyways.  Only a scoreboard, game menu or if I'm in the gaming lobby (but not in a game) will I see values like 600 fps - with the above lines added it is now capped to 300.

I found after applying this limit I was able to play the whole day without any issues.  I will update this thread again if the issue ever appears again.

Consider limiting your max fps to something slightly higher than you have seen your computer run in game.  The only thing I can think of is having cs:go pinned to 600 fps may not be a good idea (this is just a theory).

I know this is really premature but it looks promising.

1 of 1 people found this helpful