7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 31, 2017 10:19 AM by dehcbad25

AMD R9 M275X

bubbalouiehinge

AMD R9 M275X not loading when I turn the machine on. Have to disable then enable for it to show it's working. Tried some games that were suppposed to work and they are slow as the second coming. I'm guessing it isn't working. Tried updating drivers, I get error code 174. This may be due to the recent windows 10 update... Having issues getting games to load before update. so want to throw machine off my balcony.

• Re: AMD R9 M275X
          kingfish

You need to report this to Microsoft > How to report Windows 10 bugs to Microsoft?

Please furnish > INFORMATION REQUIRED WHEN POSTING A QUESTION

bubbalouiehinge

Had enough. Taking the machine back.

bubbalouiehinge

Gigabyte GB-BXA8G-8890 ultra compact pc. 8GB ram, Windows 10 64bit, A8-5557M, Radeon R9M275X, bluetooth, usb3, 250 SSD.

I had this one previously and returned it thinking the videocard was baked.  Got a replacement (unused/NIB). came home, put windows 10 64Bit on, did all windows updates.  Checked video card, and found AGAIN, this is not working. opened the AMD Radeon Settings software, I get the message No AMD graphics driver is installed, or the AMD driver is not functioning properly. Please install the AMD driver appropriate for your AMD hardware.  I go to  Mobile (AMD Driver) to download the latest driver. I download "non-whql-win10-64bit-radeon-software-crimson-relive-17.6.2-june13 " and select yes, then install, the software loads and says searching for drivers, I get "Error - 174 - AMD Installer cannot continue due to an unsupported AMD graphics hardware configuration. I click "click here to learn more" and I get a website that won't load. I click Proceed instead of cancel at the error code. I select Custom install to confirm drivers are checked off, then clean install., I have to reboot, and now I'm back at square one again.  I am wondering if I am doing something wrong, or if this driver is not the right file, or if there is something I have missed????

kingfish

This is how you select the correct driver for your laptop: Download Drivers

Screenshot_9.png

These are the choices you have ...choose one > Legacy

dehcbad25

I understand that it is tall tasks to ask to know all hardware, but if you had made a quick search on the product that bubba posted you would have seen it is a hybrid solution mini desktop and that the recommendation for the driver does not help at all.

I don't meant to bust your chops, but you did request specific information, and then responded with a generic answer.

I work on support as well (not may main role, but I do a lot of it) and I know it is frustrating not getting information, but when you get it you should spend 5 minutes to look it up as well.

I have a couple of weeks now working and researching to see if I can update the drivers (15.7) to a more modern version because as it is I am getting 10 fps in FFXIII, which makes no sense when I can run Tomb Raider pretty well at 720p

bubbalouiehinge

Thanks for your help    it didn't work. I will nuke the drive then put windows 8.1 back on. See what happens

dehcbad25

This is a Gigabyte issue, and not a AMD issue as much, although I do think AMD should do something about Hybrid drivers (it is a long standing issue)

It is also not a Windows 10 issue.

You cannot use the latest drivers from AMD website. The Brix GB-BXA8G-8890 uses an AMD A8 5557M CPU with internal Radeon HD 8550G and also a R9 M275X (that gets detected as Radeon HD 8800M series) and requires AMD powerXpress drivers. You can only get the specific drivers from the Gigabyte website

GB-BXA8G-8890 (rev. 1.0) | Mini-PC Barebone (BRIX) - GIGABYTE

Before it used to be called switcheable graphics, and I have an Asus laptop with it. While on paper it was a great idea, it was a pain to get it to work and often ended up with old drivers, making the whole idea useless because gaming with 4 year old drivers is less than ideal.

While I was testing drivers in my Brix unit, I would create a restore point before installing new driver packages to see what happened, and I did get the same error as you or another variation.

Again, kind of useless in this scenario, since there is no battery so the PC will run on the GPU you select (most likely the high performance GPU) on the PowerXpress application