AnsweredAssumed Answered

Is it considered normal for the Ryzen 1700X to make a static noise?

Question asked by eebow421 on Jun 27, 2017
Latest reply on Jul 7, 2017 by eebow421

Working on new Ryzen 7 1700X build.  With the build complete, I am getting a noise from the m.2/cpu/gpu area (the m.2 is between the cpu and gpu).  It sounds like an electronic static similar to what would be heard when a spinner drive accesses the platters in a HDD.  The tone changes with the activity on the computer, i.e. mouse movement and app usage.  I have replaced the M.2 drive = same noise.  Replaced the video card = same noise.  Changed the PSU = same noise.  The only things I have not replaced are the MB and CPU.  I have ruled out the RAM because the sound is not emanating from that area.  I have also went so far as listening to other systems with M.2 SSD's and none of them made this noise. 

In researching this, I discovered an academic paper on electronic signatures of computers and devices.  I have yet to read the entire paper, but I'm thinking that these signatures are not normally as loud as what I'm hearing.  It is actually disturbing to hear when I'm trying to work on the system.  I was able to record the noise on my phone, but when I sent the file to a friend it comes across as more like white noise - NOT what I'm hearing.

Has anyone ever had experience with this type issue and what was done to get rid of the noise?

System components:

ASRock x370 Taichi w/ BIOS 2.4 and no O.C. as of yet.

Ryzen 7 1700X

Radeon R9-200 series

EVGA G3-850 PSU

Samsung 960 EVO M.2 SSD 500GB

G-Skill DDR4-3200 CAS 14 w/ XMP Profile 1 running @3200Mhz

NZXT X52 cpu cooler; Hue+, and internal USB hub.

NZXT H440 White/Purple

Outcomes