7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 7, 2017 1:13 PM by eebow421

Is it considered normal for the Ryzen 1700X to make a static noise?

eebow421

Working on new Ryzen 7 1700X build.  With the build complete, I am getting a noise from the m.2/cpu/gpu area (the m.2 is between the cpu and gpu).  It sounds like an electronic static similar to what would be heard when a spinner drive accesses the platters in a HDD.  The tone changes with the activity on the computer, i.e. mouse movement and app usage.  I have replaced the M.2 drive = same noise.  Replaced the video card = same noise.  Changed the PSU = same noise.  The only things I have not replaced are the MB and CPU.  I have ruled out the RAM because the sound is not emanating from that area.  I have also went so far as listening to other systems with M.2 SSD's and none of them made this noise. 

In researching this, I discovered an academic paper on electronic signatures of computers and devices.  I have yet to read the entire paper, but I'm thinking that these signatures are not normally as loud as what I'm hearing.  It is actually disturbing to hear when I'm trying to work on the system.  I was able to record the noise on my phone, but when I sent the file to a friend it comes across as more like white noise - NOT what I'm hearing.

Has anyone ever had experience with this type issue and what was done to get rid of the noise?

System components:

ASRock x370 Taichi w/ BIOS 2.4 and no O.C. as of yet.

Ryzen 7 1700X

Radeon R9-200 series

EVGA G3-850 PSU

Samsung 960 EVO M.2 SSD 500GB

G-Skill DDR4-3200 CAS 14 w/ XMP Profile 1 running @3200Mhz

NZXT X52 cpu cooler; Hue+, and internal USB hub.

NZXT H440 White/Purple

• Re: Is it considered normal for the Ryzen 1700X to make a static noise?
          jup_kozlowski

Mmmhhh...I know what you mean...

I´ve got the same problem in the past on my old rig, Phenom II x4 955.

In my case , the MB was the reason why I got a quite noise that was going higher on 100% CPU load.

In other words, the MB was malfunction, I replaced it and the noise was gone.

eebow421

@jup; Thank  you for sharing and verifying.

I am hoping that the issue is the MB rather than the CPU.  It will be easier for me to exchange the MB than it will the CPU.  

Reached out to ASRock yesterday too and they had me try a CMOS + BIOS clearing and different PSU, but the noise was still persisting, so they have mentioned an RMA but have to wait until their customer service contacts me.  

I did get the xtra warranty from Microcenter on the board, so I could technically take it there too.

V/R

Eric P Nelson

Sent from iCloud

jup_kozlowski

Sounds good.

But RMA can took a long time. I did it too with RMA on my old Asus MB. 12 weeks later I got a new one from Asus. No repaire, just exchange....12 weeks....O-o

Asus RMA Service isn´t the best on the Hardware - Market.

eebow421

Ok, so I did not go through with the RMA.  Contacted both ASRock and reseller working out an exchange for the MB. 

Unfortunately, when I tested the replacement, it is making a similar sound from the VFR chip between the DDR slots and video card.

Changed the PSU and it seems to go away.  So, gonna pickup a NEW PSU to try and hopefully the noise will not come back.

The EVGA PSU I have is beyond return time to Amazon so, will have to figure what to do with it...

This noise is pretty low, and I wouldn't hear it with case closed; but I'm in the testing mode (bench) so I hear it. 

Am I being too picky with this?  sometimes I think so. 

jup_kozlowski

How old is your PSU? It´s possible that older PSU can´t handle the AM4 Boards. A friend of my must bought a new PSU with his new AM4 and Ryzen 1600x. The old beQuiet 550W couldn´t handel the new MB / CPU. It always runs on full power, dosen´t matter in idle or full throtle. After he replaced the old PSU with a new one, everything runs quiet and with 60Watt on idle and maybe on 300Watt on full throttle.

jup_kozlowski

eebow421 schrieb:

This noise is pretty low, and I wouldn't hear it with case closed; but I'm in the testing mode (bench) so I hear it.

Am I being too picky with this? sometimes I think so.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

No. after I replaced my old PSU with a semi passiv PSU. I replaced every chase fan too, one by one. Becouse there were so good dam loud. I always thought my old GPU (GTX590) cooler was that loud. Nope, it was the chase fan´s and the old PSU. Now, I have a awesome quite rig, even on full load.

Silent noises are terrible. Specelly at night when you working with potoshop etc. I hate this! Thats why I sell my MacBook pro and bought a Desktop PC. I couldn´t stand this quite tiny noise from the MacBook at night.

And now, I have to say: Why I spend soo much money on a MacBook, for less power? With the Ryzen 1700x, I can finish my jobs in half of the time.

eebow421

@Jup; every component I have was brand new, with the exception of the second PSU that I used to test for the noise.  Both would allow the computer to post.  I have since bought a NEW, 3rd PSU the is 650W (between the other PSU's).  The third PSU tested the same.  So, I then called EVGA tech support about the original G3-850 PSU I bought.  That tech recommended removing the rig from the case and testing the system that way, in the hope to eliminate the case causing the issue.

After removing the rig from the case and testing all the double components on the rig while resting on the MB box; I hear the noise in a different location.  Now, it sounds like it may be coming from the Kraken X52 pump, so I put in a ticket for NZXT about noise coming from the pump.  While researching AIO cooler noises, I found a few YT videos that mentioned air in getting into the system.  Their remedy for the noise it was causing was to "shake" the radiator and pump.  Not sure how that will help.  Waiting on NZXT now.

Also, getting tired of the "passing of the buck..."

V/R

Eric P Nelson

Sent from iCloud