11 Replies Latest reply on Jun 28, 2017 6:58 PM by epicpompa

Poor CrossFire Performance RX 580 + RX 480

epicpompa

i have a rx580 and a rx480 and when i try to play with crossfire on it seems to only use the 480 (the monitor is connected to the 580)

cpu-1600x

ram-16gb

mobo-msi tomahawk b350

thanks for the help in advance

Message was edited by: Matt B We have updated the title of this discussion with relevant details to better describe your issue.

• Re: crossfire dosen't work
          whiskey-foxtrot

ARS.png

bug.gifCurious, what does Radeon Settings show? Are they linked or just listed invidually? Also, does this happen just when in specific (or all) games?

epicpompa

Screenshot_1.png

gpu 1 is the 480(idk why)

gpu 2 is the 580

it was in watch dogs 2 im pretty sure that its like that in all game

Screenshot_2.png

this is in gta v same thing

rebelyell

im thinking maybe flashing the 480 bios to a 580 may be a fix, since 480 like different drivers better. it might just work. but its hard to say without much info..

epicpompa

what do you mean by "flashing the 480 bios"?

whiskey-foxtrot

I would be careful with flashing your GPU BIOS. I've seen more bricked cards from going from a 4xx to 5xx, especially if it's done wrong. And I just noticed that you're using Afterburner - I do not recommend any other overlay or overclocking app alongside WattMan (there are many posts on this in the forums), so disable those. I'm not saying it is causing the display mix-up in this case, but you want to rule it out as it will cause other issues.

What are you using for cables (HDMI, DP)? Keep in mind, when using 2 different cards, your system will be operating at the lowest clocked of the 2 in this case the 480.

Check in the game profile of Radeon Settings and make sure Crossfire is on ; if the game supports it - not all games support Crossfire and some even have degraded performance.

See also: AMD CrossFire™ and Dual Graphics Requirements and Setup FAQ

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                              epicpompa

im not overclocking im just using afterburner for monitoring

for the cables im using dp for the main monitor and hdmi for the second one

and i am trying to play watch dogs 2 (i think it supports crossfire )

whiskey-foxtrot

Yes, Crossfire is supported through the drivers in Watchdogs 2. As for the original question at hand, verify in Windows Display properties (see image below) that whatever monitor you want as your primary monitor is set accordingly. Both monitors should be hooked up to primary card as well.

MS-Display.png

RS-monitors.png

If this is not what you're after (you're probably trying to span your game over 2 monitors), look intoCreating an Eyefinity Display Group Using AMD Radeon™ Software

Please note that not all games support multiple displays - this is something that would have to be verified with the game developers.

epicpompa

no i mean that crossfire dosent work

i have a 1080p monitor with  freesync for gaming and a 720p for watching movies the problem is that when i try to play watch dogs 2 i get around 65~ fps withour crossfire and 40~ with crossfire and it seems like its using only the second card when crossfire is on

(and yes i have the gaming monitor selected as main)

whiskey-foxtrot

Bear with me please - I'm trying to understand what's happening hence all the questions. According to the screenshot you took with GTA5 it is showing both cards used at some point - and in your last reply you indicate that you are able to turn on/off Crossfire mode. Also in that picture it shows the 580 as the Primary (which should be GPU 1). So the issue is that you're getting poor performance with Crossfire on.

I haven't played Watchdogs 2 so I can't make any recommendations for optimal in-game settings, maybe another community member can chime in.  Other than maybe maxing out the power limit on both cards (this is not overclocking btw, it's just decreasing the possibility of your cards being throttled down) I'm out of ideas.

2 of 2 people found this helpful