13 Replies Latest reply on Jun 28, 2017 12:18 PM by algray_solipso

Soon to be Red Team (RyZen) Questions!

algray_solipso

Hello!

I'm new around here, but have always been a big fan of AMD products.

Quite sadly, during the late 2011 and early 2012 launches, I felt a bit demotivated on the FX series (bit too high TDP for me at that time, used to live in a really hot place...)

I'll soon be switching to a beautiful RyZen 7 1700, my budget isn't very big, but I like to build computers that will last for years in the top performance spec.

I'm in doubt with the motherboard though.

I've been in love with the Gigabyte AX-370 Gaming K5, that will set me a pretty penny, together with a 2x8gb DDR4 3000 Mhz ram kit.

I've been doing a fair amount of research but I couldn't find...very decisive info. I also looked up the MSI Tomahawk Arctic B350, that looked really great. (I'll get the NZXT S340 Elite White, so, white details inside will look great!

Is there any motherboard you'd recommend me getting for a possible 3.8~4.0 OC on that chip? Also, is it worth getting a cheaper motherboard for 3200 Mhz memory?

Thanks in advance!

• Re: Soon to be Red Team (RyZen) Questions!
          whiskey-foxtrot

Hello and welcome algray_solipso,

Not to contradict too much, but since we're going down memory lane, alternative CPUs at the time had higher TDPs and lower core counts at a higher cost.

I'm glad you're considering the Ryzen 7 1700; one thing I would suggest doing as well is going through the Rig Showcase to look at comparable systems. darkwolfca has built a few 1700 based systems (Here's one Ryzen and Radeon for marvin's autobody ) and I'm sure he'd be willing to help with some suggestions.

As for overclocking in that range, there are a lot of videos out: for instance on Youtube look at Unicorn, Skatterbencher, and Paul's Hardware to name a few good ones. "Unicorn" specifically uses the GIgabyte AX-370 motherboard you mentioned; the other 2 reviewers use my favorite board, the Asus Crosshair 6 Hero. It does cost about 30% more than the Gigabyte, but this board is built for customization and performance tuning. If my previous experience with the Crosshair line still holds through, you should be able to upgrade your CPU at a later date when your budget allows.

Another thing to keep in mind is AMD's Infinity Fabric: overall performance is tied to memory frequencies; so the higher you can get your frequencies, the better performance you'll see with your new CPU! With that said, going from 3000MHz to 3200MHz may not show any earth shattering results. On average with the memory I've tested there was about a 7fps increase at best.

So start with the best motherboard AND cooling solution you can get; upgrade the memory and CPU later. Either way, the 1700 should hold it's performance/value for years to  come, especially as more multi-threaded applications are being optimized.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            red5

I'd stick with a Gigabyte, ASrock, or MSI board.  There is a reason you can walk into a Microcenter store and find a bunch of Asus boards on the shelf when most other brands are sold out. And this just isn't an observation, it comes from knowing people who work there. More Asus boards get returned than any other brand. That may change, but so far Asus is not on par with the others. I guess it is mostly due to not having great BioS releases.

I personally have a Gigabyte board and my son has the MSI Tomahawk, and one of our gaming group members has the MSI X370 board, can't remember the name. They've all been solid so far.

whiskey-foxtrot

I wish I could say the same about our Microcenter! There was indeed an issue with boards getting bricked by initial BIOS' - same goes for the other brands. I've picked up 6 of these C6H boards since building my rig and I must've lucked out with a good set every time; I can't say much about the other Asus boards as I haven't used them in any personal builds. Every one picks their boards for a specific reason whether it's budget constraints, personal experience, aesthetics etc; whatever works for you as long as you make it yours!

algray_solipso - pay attention to the advice ajlueke gives below about the X370 boards for OC'ing. Get a board that can handle the abuse.

ajlueke

Welcome!

There is a fair amount of anecdotal evidence over on overclock.net indicating that overclocking octocore Ryzen variants (1700, 1700X, 1800X) on the B350 chipset may lead to excessive VRM temperatures.  If you are looking to push a 1700 up to the 3.9/4.0 I would definitely recommend a decent X370 board.

As whiskey-foxtrot mentioned, the faster your RAM runs, the more performance you'll get.  Make sure the kit you purchase uses Samsung B-Die as that still tends to perform better than Hynix chips.  Two single rank DIMMs like in the (2x8Gb) kit you mentioned will give the best overclocking potential.  Although, you can get solid speeds with dual rank DIMMs and even four single rank.  My system currently runs 4 single rank DIMMs at 3466 MHz, and the additional overclocking features in X370 boards definitely helped me get there.

6 of 6 people found this helpful
                  algray_solipso

Thanks to everyone who replied to this! That was really helpful!

I guess I'll try getting a better mobo then, but I don't know if that's gonna be a decent option.

Otherwise, I'll need to get really cheap memory modules (or probably just a 1x8gb low freq ram) for now.

The Asus Crosshair VI doesn't seem much more expensive than the Gigabyte K5 and there isn't much of a difference with the Gigabyte K7.

Believe me, I only used a different brand CPU for one time. It has been lasting for a long time, but I've had a Sempron 3100+, Atlhon X2 64 4600+, Athlon II X2 240, Athlon II X4 620 and a Phenon II X2 (This one I can't recall the model, but I managed to make it a quad core with the whole core-unlock proccess) before switching to another brand.

Maybe by the time I was shifted towards it by the media...

Either way, what would you guys recommend? Should I use the budget I have and get a better motherboard along with the 1700 and a cheaper ram for now? If so, which Ram module would you recommend? I'm asking the module because I need to check with a distributor here (I'm from Brazil), sometimes they're not readily available and sometimes not even sold here in my country.

(Update): I managed to check with the distributor and the motherboard prices are indeed a bit high. About 1,500 BRL for the Crosshair VI and 1,250 for the Gigabyte K5. The cheapest Ram module I found was a 2666 Kingston Fury 8gb Module at 310 BRL (But I guess I could go even cheaper, getting a lower speed 4gb module for now). I'll need to hold a little for decent ram I guess...

Once again, thanks to everyone who replied, you guys are awesome!

xobeloot

I love the way that B350 Tomahawk looks.

I am running the Biostar x370GTN (which is pointless since it only has one pcie slot and i'll never run x-fire, but the b350 model isn't out yet).  I honestly didn't expect much out of this little board, but was pleasantly surprised. 

Nonetheless, to your question at hand:  Do you plan to run LOTS of pcie stuff (drives, crossfire gpu's, etc?) If so, be sure to go with the X370.  If not and you are building a somewhat basic rig (one gpu, a ssd or hdd, nothing extravagent or super heavy on pcie) go with the B350.  You will save a significant amount of money and will notice absolutely no difference.  You can still overclock on the B350 boards, so don't worry there.

Mainly what you need to find is a board that looks how you want and has the I/O ports you need to support your setup.  As of right now, there really isn't much difference board to board other than different I/O arrays and/or different shiny toys (heatsinks, rgb, patterns/colors on the pcb)

As for memory, it is still very much a gamble.  The microcode is still improving with time and the ram you have or plan to have may not even be supported at 3200 yet.  I am running a set of Corsair Vengeance LED 2x8gb with a 3200 xmp, but am only able to clock it to 2933 before my bios goes full-potato and sticks me into a boot loop before it resets itself.

My rig and rig specs can be found here: https://community.amd.com/thread/217489

I honestly have found little to no reason to overclock thus far.  The system chews up everything I throw at it and a couple seconds off of certain tasks isn't worth the increased power bill (though we're only talking a few bucks, that is a beer or two!).  At stock clock with the quiet fan curve setting, my fans and pump are practically turned off right now and my CPU is barely breaking ambient room temperature.  Compared to the 6700k I took out, this is golden!  That thing at stock freq still raised the temp in my office a few degrees just idling.

algray_solipso

Hey there dude, thanks for your input!

I won't be using too many PCI-E slots. Probably just one for my GPU (980 FE) and with a big maybe, in the future, a PCI-E SSD or just a M2, and potentially an external recording card (this last one is very likely not to happen, kinda wanted to play some older consoles through a capture card and maybe record some, but it seems too much of a hassle, really).

Never really went as deep as getting the top of the line motherboards, ever. The closest to it was when I built my actual system, but after 3 years the motherboard died on me, it was an Asus P8Z68-V (The exact revision I had came with some problems in the chipset. Mine didn't show anything until it suddenly died and took one of my RAM sticks with it, r.i.p. little Corsair Vengeance).

The Tomahawk Arctic looks really perfect for what I'm going to do, but I sure am worried about Overclocking on it, even at 3.8 it seem a little dangerous from what I've seem with those VRMs the board packs.

You have a very nice build there! I want to make mine White with White and/or Cyan Lights and, if everything goes the way I want, I'll name it Aozora Nine - Snow Leopard.

I'm sorry I don't have any good pictures of my current build, but there's nothing great to show... Everything is aged, dirty with dust and there's just a plain and simple OEM mobo on the background, and since I work on a derpy time, it's hard to make time to clean it.

I hear you with the RAM stuff, understandable. There's actually a chance I won't be overclocking this computer for long periods either way, so I'm beginning to guess going with the B350 Tomahawk wouldn't be a bad idea at all...

Welcome!

As most mentioned the X370 boards are great if you're going to try overclocking as much as possible. I absolutely love the Gigabyte boards and they are excellent for overclocking. Personally I have an Asrock board and it works fantastically and is fairly decent with overclocking as well.

As for going for a B350 board and getting higher ram, ultimately that decision is yours. The B350 boards are good for overclocking. If you're only going to be using one GPU, I'd go for the Tomahawk board and spend the extra money on the higher ram. If you're looking for more PCIe lanes, go for the X370 board and the 3000 DDR4 Ram.

If you want info on overclocking, I know RTP member cavemanthe0ne is our resident overclocker and he can offer more info on it.

kxuping

Pros of the gigabyte Aorus X370 mobos is the dual 1Gbit ethernet nics, one Intel and one Killer, HDMI output if in the future you buy a Ryzen APU and reuse the mobo. RGB lights between dimm slots, no need to buy RGB memory if you like RGB. Sound is great in the K7 with dual DACs for front and rear connectors. Soundblaster SW to have alchemy (old sorround sound games) and effect (bass, crystalizer, etc...) so no need to buy a Soundblaster card.

Some X370 boards can change BCLK frequency if you are going to fine tune OC, K7 has this option.

Make a list of all cards or stuff you are going to connect to your PC (M.2 SSD, sata drives, GPU, other PCIe cards) and then check the motherboards manuals. The mobos disable or slow the connection depending on what you connect. Every board disables/slows something different.

algray_solipso

Thanks for replying!

I noticed the audio and network on some of the X370 boards seems really great. I do want to dump the current USB soundboard I'm using, it's the one that comes with the SteelSeries Syberia V2.

On the network department, I don't really have high end networking stuff and it'll be mostly used with an average connection (35 Mb/D 25 Mb/U).

As thecommonmasses said, the B350 aren't bad for overclocking, and I'm not exactly a great overclocker either. I do know a bit about it, but I don't think I'd be using fine-tune with BCLK as you suggested.

The thing that worries me is that the B350 boards including the Tomahawk seems to get their VRMs really hot, or not even close to hold any overclock as high as 3.9 without some instability.

I did watch the video xobeloot shared, thanks for it by the way! But as much as the system seems stable under light load and maybe gaming, I'm afraid the system could crash or hang during video encoding, which is something I'll probably be doing every now and again.

So, as far as I could see, getting either the Asus Crosshair VI or a Gigabyte Aorus Gaming K5 or K7 seems like the safest bet to keep an overclock, or even to overclock during small periods without worrying about the VRM's burning themselves. I'm living in a quite cold house right now, where temperatures hardly rise above 25C.

My current budget for this upgrade is 3.300 BRL.

So, RyZen 7 1700 is about 1200~1100 BRL right now.

The motherboards vary, the Asus Crosshair VI is about 1.400 BRL, the Gigabyte Aorus K5 is 1,250 BRL, while the Tomahawk might be around 500 BRL.

If I choose to use the Asus board, I might have enough money to get the Corsair LPX 2x8gb 3000 Mhz kit (But i'm not sure they're the best choice, and by doing that I'll probably be using the stock cooling). I do own a Corsair H100, but it's past 5 years old and I'm a bit worried it might go bad out of nowhere. It's holding the temperatures of my 2600K under 55C while doing the AIDA stress test but I can't recall if I still have the old AMD bracket for it..

Would there be any 2x8gb kits on the same or close to same price point as those LPX ones?

Thanks everyone for helping!