2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 15, 2017 1:12 AM by romanezis

GPU Crashing Wattman RX 470

laurentiu_stanciu

Hello,

I have a MSI RX470 4GB video card bought 2 months ago. About 2 weeks ago I've had some issues with the driver version 17.6.2, in the sense that after 15 mins of normal usage (browsing, facebook) the image would freeze for 3 secs and the pc would restart. After boot the Action Center in Windows 10 would pop a message saying that Wattman has been restored to default due to and error (please notice that I didn't overclocked or changed any of the power or voltage values). I've managed to find a workaround in having the driver rolled back to 16.7.3 (the version provided by Windows 10). But for the past 3 days 1/5 boots the fan speed would start with 100% power, not step by step.

For now I've managed to install 17.4.2 and hope that I will not have any more problems.

I've made this post so that people who encounter this problem can find a workaround, to find other solutions as well + maybe a developer will look at this problem and fix it.

Thanks!

Message was edited by: Matt B We have updated the title of this discussion with relevant details to better describe your issue.

• Re: Wattman forces Windows to reboot
          guily6669

I have ASUS STRIX RX480 8GB and I'm also having the same problem. It only started a few drivers back.

When playing it works, but when I leave my PC on for a few time like downloading a game, windows gives a BSOD and restarts then windows report "Wattman has been restored to default due to an error".

I also have stock clocks and only OC it when gaming to the factory Asus Strix RX480 OC mode.

WHEN IDLE I ALWAYS HAVE STOCK CLOCKS...

ps: I have used the report form on AMD support, everyone do the same and maybe they will think on fixing since I have only had a very bad experience with my RX480, next GPU I will only chose Nvidia even if I have to pay +50€ (never got a single problem with my old GTX570 which is still fully working).

• Re: GPU Crashing Wattman RX 470
            romanezis

Uninstall MSI Afterburner.