cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

mattid
Journeyman III

bristol ridge hsa? rocm? i feel betrayed as a customer.

i bought some time ago a bristol ridge with a320m-c as training platform for programming accelerated software with hsa.

i feel like amd promised me, that  "The APU will have full HSA support and OpenCL 2.0" support, but then i ran into problems (i.e.HIP).

Still possible to do some training on this platform, but the cost effective platform will not be working flawlessly under rocm. Extra stress, not needed.

When i found out that even the promised upgrade path to ryzen is not working for my motherboard, i had to come here to leave some fume.

Support Team? Please move this thread where you want to (but no the bin ), i would have preferred to find a better place but after registering i stopped at the first fence.

greetings to the community

0 Likes
6 Replies
dipak
Big Boss

Hi,

First of all, you have been whitelisted now so you'll be able post anywhere in DevGurus.

Now coming to your problem/question. Bristol ridge does support HSA and I think it's working for that purpose. Regarding the ROCm support, AFAIK, the concerned team is working on testing commercial AM4 motherboards for the Bristol Ridge and Raven Ridge families of APUs. For more information related to ROCm support on your platform, please post your query here: Issues · RadeonOpenCompute/ROCm · GitHub

Also, for any other hardware/software related assistance, you can reach to our support team here: Support Forums

Regards,

0 Likes
chithanh
Adept II

Bristol Ridge seems to work, at least to some degree. Do open issues on github for everything that doesn't work, as dipak​ suggested. Especially as ROCm 1.6 is out now.

About the ASUS A320M-C, the situation is unfortunate, but this board apparently was never intended by ASUS to be sold directly to consumers and seems now EOL, or at least progressively disappearing from their website. Blame the vendor (CSL-Computer?). There is now the A320M-C R2.0 which has full consumer support.

0 Likes

Thank you for your answers.

I agree with everything (even the csl assumption ).

Eventually i will have to buy another mainboard and cpu, maybe i will

get the ryzen apu, that was the plan for the future anyway. 

But i will wait and not early adopt. 

APU and the use of an extra dGPU when needed was planned and promised

to be working. 

your friedly answers calmed me a bit. till later

matti

0 Likes

Maybe I spoke too soon about the ASUS A320M-C. There is a new BIOS 0805 on the download page, maybe it includes new CPU support.

0 Likes

oh i gave up already,

thanks for the information.

i will have a look.

thx

0 Likes
machetex1
Adept I

Hello, I felt the same at the beginning after buying a AB350m gaming 3 board and a A12-9800.  the problems started after the creators update, that at the beginning had plenty of crashes, on games and system, and after about 4 re-installs and clean install of the windows it seems the issues are mostly worked out. I will say the processor is really fast, and the graphics are very decent but I think manufacturers of boards did not worry too much on compatibility of the APU's.. at this moment I am running on the F10 bios update  and is very stable. when something don't work right, try to run troubleshooter from windows 10 to see if that fix problems..

UserBenchmarks: Game 20%, Desk 44%, Work 27%

CPU: AMD A12-9800 RADEON R7, 12 COMPUTE CORES 4C+8G - 58.9%

GPU: AMD Radeon R7 Graphics - 13.3%

HDD: WD Black 1TB (2013) - 93.5%

RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2666 C16 2x4GB - 35.5%

MBD: Gigabyte GA-AB350M-Gaming 3-CF

0 Likes