9 Replies Latest reply on Jun 25, 2017 1:06 PM by rodinaz

R9 290 Black Screen On Boot After Installing Crimson 17.6.2

rodinaz

I run windows 7 home 64 bit with an R9 290 video card. I updated to 17.6.2 minimal setup. After a restart my screen is black. I can turn off the monitor and back on and it returns to the normal desk top. Other that that everything appears to be normal. I would like a normal boot without turning it off and on. I did a clean reinstall but that did not help. Thanks

Message was edited by: Matt B We have updated the title of this discussion with relevant details to better describe your issue.

• Re: black screen after restart
          elstaci

by chance, what type of monitor do you have and how is it connected to your computer? It is a good idea to post your computer specs in the future to be able to get a better understanding of your problem.

I don't see how turning on and off your monitor causes your desktop to appear. May be a problem with the way your monitor is connected or your monitor itself. I am not a tech person regarding drivers, but how will a monitor being recycled affect a GPU driver?  I would like to know as a future reference in my case.

rodinaz

Sorry, it is a Ben-Q XL2730Z and is connected by Display Port. This happened from the first reboot on after I updated using the 16.6.2 minimal setup.

I have had the same problem quite a while back, it went to sleep and did not wake up after being in sleep mode. However then it required a reboot rather than just turning it off and on. I assumed that was the case, since sometimes the mouse or keyboard did not wake the computer.

kingfish

I would use the 'full' version of the drivers...not the 'minimal'.

elstaci

Just for my own education, How does a Monitor actually affect a GPU driver function by recycling the monitor on or off?

I realize a GPU driver gets input from a monitor about its resolution and frequency, How does it affect a GPU driver by turning it on or off (recycling)? Does it reset the driver's resolution and frequency for the monitor?

rodinaz

I don't know that it can but that is what it takes to get or find a signal from the GPU. Its 144 hertz  @ 2560 X 1440 resolution.

elstaci

Found a website that explains the technology of computer components and how they interact with each other in a very simple manner. Just a FYI.

How Graphics Cards Work | HowStuffWorks

rodinaz

Thanks, I have a pretty good understanding of how it works. It also rely's on good programming- Ie drivers etc.. Against my better judgment I decided to install the full version but in safe mode as well. I dread doing this on a 2560x1440 monitor cause at 640x480, which it is after uninstalling everything is huge and adds difficulty. In safe mode it did not install because of a missing driver as I recall, so I rebooted. After reboot it gives me 2 choices for drivers. One I believe was just a windows generic, the other was 17.6.2. I chose the ladder and installed. Reboot back to the desk top, its very bright not my standard setting and the Icons are scattered and not original order. Great readjust color etc then put icons in place. Then I clicked on the radeon settings and it says to reboot the driver needs to installed. Whatever was going on was ridiculous. So I rebooted again and it installed. Now the problem reappears with the 17.6.2 driver. I have the same black screen, only after reboot and installing this driver. What a waste of time to achieve the same results. Btw all were clean installs. I think the programming leaves a bit to be desired. Whatever driver it used plus the old amd driver rebooted fine before 17.6.2. The 17.6.2 minimal and full has failed twice. Thanks

rodinaz

I could try that but I have never used the full version

doomcreeper

At me earlier so it was, after transition of the monitor in a waiting mode, now the updating of the screen is simply dumped

From 144hz to 100hz - YouTube