1 Reply Latest reply on Jun 21, 2017 2:55 PM by elstaci

Disabling the HDMI audio driver and prevent it from auto-updating

peterdezoete93

Hello everyone,

I have a TV connected to my computer using HDMI. It is wired to a splitter that can toggle between PC stream and a gaming console. It works fine, however, there is no audio on the TV when i stream from PC. I have already figured out a lot myself by experimenting and messing around a lot, and came to the conclusion that the AMD HDMI Driver prevents the audio from  playing. When i uninstalled my GFX completely just to test it out, the default windows driver took over instead. It plays audio fine. Of course, i don't want the standard driver to run on my games, too.

I had found a solution, by re-installing my Rx 480 completely, manually, and disabling HDMI audio. That way, RX 480 will run for everything except HDMI audio. I can run high-quality graphics while gaming, and still get to enjoy audio on my TV when i stream a movie for example.

Sadly, this does not last long. The next day, the audio was gone again. When i checked the HDMI audio driver, AMD had took over again. This happened while i had the impression that i excluded HDMI audio from being updated. I do not want to disable auto-update from RX 480 as its just important, maybe only if there is just no other solution. I will then do it manually.

Does anybody here know if there is a way for me to completely exclude HDMI audio from the RX 480 graphics card, including auto-update, etc. Just everything related to HDMI audio.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Specs below.

Graphics card:   Radeon RX480 Graphics

Desktop system: Self-built. Some info below.

Processor

AMD Ryzen 5 1600 Six-Core Processor

Video Card

Radeon (TM) RX 480 Graphics

RAM

16 GB

Operating System

Microsoft Windows 10 (build 15063), 64-bit

Driver version

Crimson Relive 17.4.4

Display devices

• Salora 32LED8100CS       (This is my tv, connected via HDMI splitter. It can toggle between gaming console and PC)
      • - Iiyama ProLite E2710HDSD (Monitor 1, connected via DVI)
      • - Acer KA220HQ (Monitor 2, connected via HDMI, not via splitter, PC has multiple HDMI ports)

Motherboard

Gigabyte AB350-Gaming 3-CF

CPU

AMD Ryzen 5 1600 Six-Core Processor

• Re: Disabling the HDMI audio driver and prevent it from auto-updating
          elstaci

When you say you disabled AMD HDMI audio, was thru Device Manager (Driver) or Windows Control Panel -Sound Panel (Audio Device)?

You can disable the AMD HDMI audio device from the Sound Panel, that way you don't have to disable the AMD HDMI audio driver in Device Manager. I imagine, If Windows see AMD HDMI Audio driver disabled, it might try to reinstall it. But if you disable all Audio Devices that run on AMD HDMI driver you won't need to disable the AMD HDMI driver in Device Manager and Windows wouldn't update it, since it is still active. But if you have Windows Update enabled to download drivers, As soon as Windows Update sees a newer HDMI driver it will download and installed it. If I am incorrect please let me know.