16 Replies Latest reply on Jul 24, 2017 1:09 PM by ribs

Unable to get freesync working with AMD-Pro drivers on Ubuntu

ribs

Hello,

I cannot, for the life of me, get freesync working at all on my machine. This is a RX580, 8GB, which other than Freesync seems to be behaving without issue.

I have the following setups:

OpenSuse Tumbleweed with the DC patched kernel. Admittedly I don't expect support on this one.

Ubuntu with the AMD-Pro packages, which I do expect to work.

On both setups I have tried:

Enabling freesync:

$ DISPLAY=:0 xrandr --output DisplayPort-0 --set "freesync" 1

And then testing the setting took hold:

$ DISPLAY=:0 xrandr --prop

Gives me the following output:

Screen 0: minimum 320 x 200, current 2560 x 1440, maximum 16384 x 16384

DisplayPort-0 connected primary 2560x1440+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis) 597mm x 336mm

EDID:

00ffffffffffff000469a8273e210200

211a0104a53c22783ba595a65650a026

0d5054bfef00714f95008180d1c00101

010101010101e8e40050a0a067500820

980455502100001e565e00a0a0a02950

3020350055502100001e000000fd0028

90dede3c010a202020202020000000fc

0041535553204d473237380a20200158

02031e714b1213041f900e0f1d1e0514

230917078301000065030c001000e8e4

0050a0a067500820980455502100001e

909b0050a0a046500820880c55502100

001e662156aa51001e30468f33005550

2100001e565e00a0a0a0295030203500

55502100001e87bc0050a0a055500820

780055502100001e0000000000000056

freesync_capable: 1

range: (0, 1)

freesync: 1

range: (0, 1)

The "freesync: 1" would suggest I have now enabled freesync.

However, when turning on the FPS counter in the monitor on, I see it locked steady at "144", meaning that freesync is not functioning. I am within the freesync range of the monitor (A Asus MG278Q, if that matters) of 40-144hz, so it should be working.

When booting into Windows, I have successfully got Freesync working when playing GTA 5; I see the FPS counter provided by the monitor going up and down. So I can rule out a hardware issue.

I have set forced VSync on with the amdrc file in a bid to fix this, to no avail:

$ cat /etc/amd/amdrc

<OpenGL>

<!-- Enable VSYNC -->

<!-- 0: always off -->

<!-- 1: app preference (default off) -->

<!-- 2: app preference (default on) -->

<!-- 3: always on -->

<!-- 4: always auto -->

<OGLWaitVerticalSync>3</OGLWaitVerticalSync>

</OpenGL>

Current kernel on the Ubuntu machine:

$ uname -a

Linux colossus 4.8.0-54-generic #57~16.04.1-Ubuntu SMP Wed May 24 16:22:28 UTC 2017 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

amdgpu-pro version:

$ dpkg -l amdgpu-pro

Desired=Unknown/Install/Remove/Purge/Hold

| Status=Not/Inst/Conf-files/Unpacked/halF-conf/Half-inst/trig-aWait/Trig-pend

|/ Err?=(none)/Reinst-required (Status,Err: uppercase=bad)

||/ Name                         Version             Architecture        Description

+++-============================-===================-===================-=============================================================

ii  amdgpu-pro                   17.10-429170        amd64               Meta package to install amdgpu Pro components.

Interesting glxinfo bits:

$ glxinfo

name of display: :0

display: :0  screen: 0

direct rendering: Yes

server glx vendor string: AMD

server glx version string: 1.4

server glx extensions:

GLX_ARB_create_context, GLX_ARB_create_context_profile,

GLX_ARB_fbconfig_float, GLX_ARB_framebuffer_sRGB, GLX_ARB_multisample,

GLX_EXT_create_context_es2_profile, GLX_EXT_framebuffer_sRGB,

GLX_EXT_import_context, GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap, GLX_EXT_visual_info,

GLX_EXT_visual_rating, GLX_INTEL_swap_event, GLX_MESA_copy_sub_buffer,

GLX_OML_swap_method, GLX_SGIS_multisample, GLX_SGIX_fbconfig,

GLX_SGIX_pbuffer, GLX_SGIX_visual_select_group, GLX_SGI_swap_control

client glx vendor string: AMD

client glx version string: 1.4

client glx extensions:

GLX_ARB_context_flush_control, GLX_ARB_create_context,

GLX_ARB_create_context_profile, GLX_ARB_create_context_robustness,

GLX_ARB_fbconfig_float, GLX_ARB_framebuffer_sRGB,

GLX_ARB_get_proc_address, GLX_ARB_multisample, GLX_EXT_buffer_age,

GLX_EXT_create_context_es2_profile, GLX_EXT_fbconfig_packed_float,

GLX_EXT_framebuffer_sRGB, GLX_EXT_import_context,

GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap, GLX_EXT_visual_info, GLX_EXT_visual_rating,

GLX_INTEL_swap_event, GLX_MESA_copy_sub_buffer, GLX_MESA_query_renderer,

GLX_MESA_swap_control, GLX_OML_swap_method, GLX_OML_sync_control,

GLX_SGIS_multisample, GLX_SGIX_fbconfig, GLX_SGIX_pbuffer,

GLX_SGIX_visual_select_group, GLX_SGI_make_current_read,

GLX_SGI_swap_control, GLX_SGI_video_sync

GLX version: 1.4

GLX extensions:

GLX_ARB_context_flush_control, GLX_ARB_create_context,

GLX_ARB_create_context_profile, GLX_ARB_fbconfig_float,

GLX_ARB_framebuffer_sRGB, GLX_ARB_get_proc_address, GLX_ARB_multisample,

GLX_EXT_create_context_es2_profile, GLX_EXT_framebuffer_sRGB,

GLX_EXT_import_context, GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap, GLX_EXT_visual_info,

GLX_EXT_visual_rating, GLX_INTEL_swap_event, GLX_MESA_copy_sub_buffer,

GLX_MESA_swap_control, GLX_OML_swap_method, GLX_OML_sync_control,

GLX_SGIS_multisample, GLX_SGIX_fbconfig, GLX_SGIX_pbuffer,

GLX_SGIX_visual_select_group, GLX_SGI_make_current_read,

GLX_SGI_swap_control, GLX_SGI_video_sync

OpenGL vendor string: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.

OpenGL renderer string: Radeon RX 580 Series

OpenGL core profile version string: 4.5.13474 Core Profile Context 17.10.2

OpenGL core profile shading language version string: 4.50

OpenGL core profile context flags: (none)

OpenGL core profile profile mask: core profile

Please assist, I'm at a loss as to what is wrong here. I'm unsure how to even begin debugging this!

• Re: Unable to get freesync working with AMD-Pro drivers on Ubuntu
          ribs

bump.

Also, I am unable to get the Email Form to load. I get a language selection drop-down but nothing loads beyond that, regardless of what language I select.

whiskey-foxtrot

Hi,

You are running this through DP correct? I can run via HDMI on Windows, but on Linux I currently have to use DP only. Also, while AMD FreeSync works on Linux, it's only supported in select titles - if I can find the list, I'll post it here later today.

ribs

Hello,

Yes, I am using display port.

The supported list is currently:

• Phoronix test suite (PTS)
                  • Unigine Valley
                  • Unigine Heaven
                  • Metro Last Light
                  • Civilization 5
                  • Witcher 2
                  • DOTA2
                  • TF 2
                  • Counter Strike Source
                  • Rocket League
                  • Ark Survival Evolved
                  • XCOM2
                  • glxgears

Whilst I appreciate Freesync is only 'supported' in some titles, I would expect that the case is closer to 'actually works on your game, probably, but you're on your own support wise'.

I've been mainly testing in TF2. Although getting that down to a run under 144fps is a bit tricky. I managed to get it to do so by disabling all but one CPU core, but I don't know if that has in turn broken freesync in some other way.

I've just tried Unigine Heaven benchmark. Despite freesync supposedly being on, and VSync being on, and the FPS being well within range of the freesync range of my monitor, I am still unable to get the monitor to report anything other than 144fps.

Is there any way I can interrogate the driver, maybe get some debugging log data out of it? Would be interesting to see if the driver is attempting to use Freesync, and what is going wrong.

ribs

To answer my own question a little bit, the driver is indeed attempting to enable freesync, but failing.

This is from the Xorg.log file:

[   233.739] Fail to enable freesync mode.

[   233.749] Fail to enable freesync mode.

[   233.752] (WW) AMDGPU(0): amdgpu_dri2_flip_event_handler: Pageflip completion event has impossible msc 33355 < target_msc 33356

[   233.753] Fail to enable freesync mode.

[   233.759] (WW) AMDGPU(0): amdgpu_dri2_flip_event_handler: Pageflip completion event has impossible msc 33356 < target_msc 33357

I'm unsure if the Pageflip warnings are related to Freesync or not, as I have no idea what those errors mean. The log has a scary number of the Pageflip messages, and is generating several of them per second, although the freesync messages have stopped. The driver is mighty upset, and I'm not sure why.

ribs

bump.

Can someone from AMD please help me with this? I've made no progress at all, and your email form is still broken.

ribs

bump

AMD: Please stop ignoring me.

I'm a paying customer, using a supported piece of hardware, with a supported operating system, and supported drivers. I would like some support with a feature that is supposedly a major selling point but I cannot use because your drivers are broken.

Apparently the only way to contact you is via these forums as your email form is still broken. So I'm resorting to constantly bumping this thread in the hope that someone will actually read it and reply.

I consider this level of "support", where the customer is completely ignored, to be unacceptably poor. To add insult to injury, several other customers have been answered here, and despite my continued patience and providing as much information as I can, I'm still being ignored. This is not acceptable. Please respond and help me get this fixed.

ribs

bump

AMD: Getting tired of being ignored here. This is apparently the only way to contact you, and yet it's impossible to get a response...

whiskey-foxtrot

@ribs I haven't been able to do any testing, but according to list entries (The amd-gfx Archives ) you may want to look into the DC/DAL patches I mentioned. Have you tried directing your queries on that list or even on the Ubuntu forums?

Try to understand, there's not a lot of info to go by when it comes to GNU/Linux as each distro has their own peculiarities and possible config options and repacking requirements. While the drivers may be at the same version levels etc across distros, it would be a technical nightmare to support all the various distros/options/kernels/configs etc.

The only system I can use right now is unavailable to test with AMD's FreeSync, but I will jump on it as soon as I can.

ribs

Hello whiskey-foxtrot,

I do appreciate your efforts, I really do. However from what I can gather you are not AMD support, and I think they are the only ones who will be able to assist me at this point. I need to run the amdgpu-pro stack for good opencl support as well, so at this point a patched kernel isn't really an option.

And yes, I agree with your "each distro is different" point, however, that's why I'm using Ubuntu 16.04.2 with AMD-Pro drivers, as that combination is supposed to be supported by AMD and therefore any oddities of Ubuntu has already been taken into account by AMD. If they say they are supporting it, they should be supporting it.

It's bad enough I'm having these issues at all, but made worse by the fact that AMD is flat out ignoring me, yet are responding to other posts on this forum which are, at times, very low quality ("my fps is low, you sux AMD!" and no other information, yet they get a response), yet I put as much information as I can think to include, yet my setup is still not working properly over a month later and not a single response from AMD themselves.

I can't find a way of speaking to AMD and the contact form is totally broken, why is it so difficult to get support for a product I've paid for? I know damn well AMD people are seeing my posts, but they see the word "Linux" and ignore it. Very frustrating.

ribs

*bump*

AMD: Please stop ignoring a customer. Supported card. Supported operating system. Supported configuration. No support from yourselfs. Please respond.

I've been asking for help for over a month now without a single response from AMD, yet low quality posts seem to garner a response, and your Email Form is still broken.