4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 18, 2017 7:20 PM by rebelyell

Any chance of a VGA Card Air to Water Conversion Tutorial?

jaandoh

I bet that like me there are lots of people who have air cooled Radeon R9-3XX or Radeon R9-4XX VGA cards,

and would like to convert them to water cooling for that little bit extra punch.

Has anyone done this type of conversion?

And would like to post a tutorial so other members who would like to have a go can do so?

Is it possible to 3D print the necessary component parts?
      All except the pump block?

And indeed, would it even work if the parts were 3D printed?

Or is that simply an absurd idea?

Or is it better to purchase those items over the counter?

Thank.

J.D.

• Re: Any chance of a VGA Card Air to Water Conversion Tutorial?
          rebelyell

oh yes it been done alot . converting it to water really isnt a big deal. pretty simple.. jump on you tube.. linus tech tips and wan show with linus hes has a video on it.. i think its 6 screws. done. works exactly like a cpu.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
            whiskey-foxtrot

Waterccooling your Radeon cards is not an absurd idea at all. In addition to the video's rebelyell mentioned, look into NZXT's "Kraken G12". This is a GPU housing using their standard AIO CPU coolers. Also look at "Arctic Accelero" reviews which is a lesser known brand but it has great reviews. If you wanted to build a custom loop, 2 recommended brands that I've had success with are EKWB and Alphacool. They both have full coverage waterblocks and backplates available. I also have a video doing just that using EKWB blocks on my Radeon 480s for my "Oscar Mike" Ryzen build - but the same would apply for any Radeon card with a custom waterblock: it's extremely easy to do. It's even easier going the AIO route.

I'm not sure about 3D Printing a watercooling solution; I'm sure it can be done but the amount of raw materials needed to satisfy rigidity needs would almost not make it feasible. You will still need a good heat conducting plate (copper) for both the front and back of the chip(s), and matching hardware (screws/bolts+nuts) - sourcing that may end up costing close to a ready-made option. There are many resources where you can download sample files: grabcab.com is one of them; search for the waterblock tags..

2 of 2 people found this helpful
              jaandoh

Thank You Rebelyell & Whiskey-Foxtrot,

Yeah I've always seen these add-on things and practically all of the time they have been for nvidia cards.

And since I have a card spare in my old 8350 system

and I planned on replacing the cooler with a Raijintek cpu cooler (with two fans)

that means I will have the smaller cpu cooler a thermal-take water 3.0 extreme (single fan) as spare.

The card in the old system is a 4gb Sapphire R9 380X with backplate.

I always used to think the backplate was simply for show (please don't laugh hahaha)

Now I see its there to give strength to the card so it doesn't warp or damage the pcie slot

As already covered by Whisky-Foxtrot in his reply,

I had completely forgotten about rigidity.

I will look at the you tube videos on Monday after I get home from work.

Today is GAMING day hahaha

Thanks Again.

JD

rebelyell

As whiskey-foxtrot  mentioned full coverage of the gpu, keep in mind alot of the gps have 2 processor die's  like example nitro fury, fury x etc.

1 of 1 people found this helpful