34 Replies Latest reply on Aug 13, 2017 7:50 AM by rebelyell

Multiple problems with 17.6.2 driver update

lordlevis

Hello,

Ever since I re-formatted my windows 8.1 (I've been having driver update problems, that wouldn't want to upgrade to the newest one), I've been having multiple problems. First off for my specs, here are attached the MSinfo32, and DxDiag info. I'm using an MSI all in one pc AG2712a-025US model from 2013 that I bought. I have 8gb of ram, and for the display drivers I have the Intel graphics 4000 and ATI Radeon HD8970m.

So, ever since the reformatting of my windows 8.1, I've reinstalled the updates and all, everything went fine. For the exception of two stuff (And believe me, I went to a pc repair guy, microsoft tech support, and ubisoft tech support, and they all failed me, with ubisoft saying that i might need to change my ram sticks): I could play GTA V before my reformat of windows 8.31, and also Rainbow Six Siege (see attached for error codes and all). Now it just simply refuses to work. Before, everything worked fine, even though Amd Gaming Evolved was stuck with a driver update that had the 13.something version on it.

Now with the reformat, even though those two games seem to refuse to work, my contextual menu (see attached), with the new 17.6.2 update, when it installed it, the option to restart my computer froze, had to force close it, restarted my computer, and the contextual menu option "Radeon graphics settings'' just simply dissapeared.

Even Ccleaner refuses to acknowledge my Amd Radeon HD8970m graphics card. And before my reformat, it acknowledged it just fine.

At Microsoft tech support and Ubisoft tech support, they tried the following: replacing some .dll files related to Directx (apparently everything works fine even though the error code from R6 suggested a problem there), reinstalled .net framework, reinstalled microsoft visual c++, reinstalled my AMD graphics driver from scratch. And in the end, Ubisoft suggest i use memtest86+ to test my Ram, or completely replace my ram sticks because supposedly Rainbow six has problems accessing the memory?... (Even though these two games worked fine? before my reboot of windows 8.1)

So right now, me and my friend think that since it worked before when it recognized my graphics card, the new updates on the driver somehow isn't working and that might be the problem. That the games want to run on the Intel integrated graphics 4000 instead of AMD Radeon HD8970m. I tried changing the power options to high performance and all, but no result.

Anyone got any tips on how to make my computer recognize properly the graphics card (like, that even Ccleaner recognizes it?)

Levente

• Re: Multiple problems with 17.6.2 driver update
          amdmatt

Crimson 17.6.2 is our latest driver. Have you tried installing that?

Adding our community members to see if they have any suggestions. kingfish black_zion goodplay

kingfish

I suspect the OS is not fully updated. There are reports that Win8.1 (like Win7) have Windows Update issues. If the OS is not updated, driver errors occur.

The latest Intel graphics must be installed before attempting to install the AMD graphics > Drivers & Software

lordlevis

Actually I made sure with the Microsoft tech support that everything is up-to-date and that there's no corrupt files. He didn't find anything out of the ordinary when I gave him control of my computer. Although, since last august 2016, a windows update caused a weird problem, and my computer freezes during a restart. But at least my AMD Radeon cards were working fine with my games and that's another problem for another day.

But yeah, all in all, my OS is updated with all the updates. And at some point I also uninstalled the Intel and AMD drivers, and yes I did install the Intel one first, and then the AMD drivers rightafter.

LordLevis.

kingfish

So...if you run Windows Update right now....it gives you a message that your OS is up to date and there are no updates available? Because your symptoms are indicating that is the problem.

lordlevis

Windows updates.pngWell right now this is what it looks like. And ignore the optional update that says "windows 8.1 drivers". It changes my HDRadeon 8970m to a completely different name, then other errors appear that it hasn't been installed properly and all. The name changes to Radeon R9 M290x. And it causes even more problems than before, because then it says the AMD driver hasn't been installed properly and whatnot. (Before my windows format, it stayed as the name HD8970m and worked fine).

At MSI they gave me a link:https://www.msi.com/All-in-One-PC/support/AG2712A.html#down-driver&Win8.1 64  and they told me to download the last thing at the end of the driver list, do the setup and come back to them with the results. I did everything as they said, still nada. Each time I start up my games, they all detect the Intel graphics 4000 even still.
                        I'll keep you updated if anything works.

lordlevis

Also here's other pictures of extra info: one that shows the menu on overwatch, detects Intel HD graphics, instead of HD8970 Radeon (as before). Another picture is Piriform Speccy that I use to see temperatures. It detects my Radeon 8970 graphics card, but to no avail. The CPU temperature reaches as high as 80 degrees celsius, and around 85 it shuts down. Another picture, shows the version of my AMD Radeon driver that is up-to-date. Overwatch.pngSpeccy info.pngAMD radeon settings.png

rebelyell

well theres alot going on here and few really stick out i would fix and i have win 7 so  i'll through all this out at ya. here we go. :/

there was a problem with updates getting messed up so microsoft made a standalone update repairer, which you will need to run a search in the micro site and should pop rather quickly without to much linking around. i would use that.. 2ndly i hate to say this but amd gamming evolved caused alot of problems and i am trying to remember what it all revolved around but if i remember correctly it crashed some games if it was installed like battlefield 1 and had to be uninstalled period and you have a pending update also on that. so uninstall it for now atleast.

did you say you uninstalled the updated driver and reinstalled since it got force shutdown?

i do know microsoft started to sneak in updates in september or october 2016 to get ready for non support if updates not current and other things like ryzen non support. so i basically stoped all updates in december 2016. and went into administrator tools and then task schedular, since they snuck in telemitry before most people even know. i had removed hardware monitoring schedular for sending micro info on my maching and a couple other task schedulars i just cant think of at the moment but you may see them.  alot of people removed this as its not needed to send microsoft all of your rig setup info. but dont mess with it if you dont know what to remove it will cause major problems if wrong things are deleted. thats your choice..

so remember atleast try the standalone update repairer. reinstall driver. delete amd gaming evolved. and your on your own with the telemitry task schedular info reporting to shut you off if you do  things micro dont want you to do . i cant tell you to do this but i did and im fine. you tube search it. hopefully one of these fixes you up.

lordlevis

Well for one, I used AMD gaming evolved before my windows re-format, at first it bugged enormously especially when it didn't make Rainbow Six Siege work and it made it crash non stop. After an update from AMD gaming, it made my RB6 work just fine, even Battlefield. But right now I didn't install it so that's good for now.

And since if forced a shutdown (because of high CPU temperature), and from the pictures I've posted above, AND also based on the advice of the other PC repair guy, I indeed came to the conclusion that my CPU's temperature, is definitely connected to the fact that my Integrated Intel Graphics doesn't want to let my AMD Radeon HD8970 work. It doesn't do the switch properly. But it makes me so mad that everything worked before I decided to re-format my windows to factory settings.

And yes I'll try both the standalone update repairer, reinstall the driver and try your telemetry task schedular info thing. I've got literally nothing to lose at this point.

lordlevis

Windows update error fixing..png

This is the result of the windows update repair tool. Still hasn't changed anything with the Intel graphics not being able to switch to the AMD Radeon graphic sadly.

rebelyell

i would never install ccleaner. its as bad as pccleaner. any program that removes malware and then installs other maleware of there liking is just wrong.

ambrose

Hi Rebelyell,

I have to disagree with you on CcLeaner, I have used this little app for ages and I never had an issue with it, at least on my windows 7. Not sure if where one might download it from but I always get my apps directly from the vendor site. I never even take DDU as a default update, I always go to the main Forum Page and Click the link there. As for using apps, never set them to Auto and I always make sure they are set to manual in my services, sometimes with new version installs they go back to default which may be Auto on boot. I keep their use to a minimum maybe every other week but usually monthly. If one is going to use CC more times then that, make sure you untick the registry scanning part of it. One should never scan/clean the registry on a regular basis, once every 6 months, maybe, really depends on if your doing aggressive uninstall and re-installs.

The 3 things I use are, CCleaner, Advance System Care 10 ( Pro ), and DDU on a manual basis. And of course Add/remove programs to start.

Cheers,

Ambrose ( w7 64 Bit )

goodplay

How to remove raptr/gaming evolved

Do you have switchable graphics options in Radeon additional settings.

sugarshock

I'm actually fighting the exact same problem right now, with the freeze at "Restart now" and the Radeon Settings not properly installed.

I have updated my Windows 10 after a few days without bootin up and I also tried to update my AMD Drivers, which worked totally fine until 2 days ago, when I tried to update.

Since then, I've probably tried 15 reinstalls, combined with installing all Windows Updates, using DUU to make a clean installation, cleaning registry, etc etc.

Since this problem appeared very sudden on a fully functional system, I thought there's some problem with a new Windows 10 update I installed, but since you're experiencing this on Win8.1, it seems like AMD is at fault.

Right now, I'm tryin this . Please let me know if you find any solution to this problem.

EDIT: I'm on an HP Pavillion Laptop, using an AMD CPU/APU and a dedicated R7 360M. I tried installing different versions of the AMD Software suite, even the ones that worked perfectly fine on my PC just a days ago. I really can't manage to figure out what's the problem.

lordlevis

MSI answer.png

The most recent answer is this from MSI. Ill prolly try it if the standalone repairer and the rest doesn't work.

lordlevis

Opened up PC 1.jpgOpened up PC 2.jpg
                                      Yesterday night I opened up my PC (I cleaned the fans no worries), and I didn't see anything that might've been burned, the thermal paste on the processor was still good, I didn't see anything that was disconnected and made sure to check each thing that it was properly connected to the motherboard. It's a bit hard to recognize the GPU since I know they usually have a fan that goes with them, and I only have one. But otherwise I didn't see anything that was in physically bad shape, even though MSI is suggesting it. (I already did a factory reset twice now with two different PC repair guys) So I'm pretty much doubting that it's a hardware problem.

If there's a way to test the GPU, or make it work manually using a third party application, I'll go try to find it on google. That is, to try to see if I'm wrong or not, about it being a software problem.

rebelyell

Aida64 has a Gpu checker in it.. its free unless you a gazillion feature .. try that if all fails..its has everything actually good to have

lordlevis

GPU Benchmark test.png
                                              Well I tried the trial version. And somehow, it manages to still test it out? And that the AMD graphics work. But it still blows my mind, that physically the hardware in the back is all good, this is the third program i use to test the GPU and it detects it fine. But when I want to use it for gaming, it refuses to work. Completely blows my mind about how complicated all this came to be.

rebelyell

lordlevis i didnt read back everything, but i had a guy with your same issue. ended up flashing bios it was corrupted or one of the previous drivers was hidden and couldnt get it out seriously. so he flashed bios, wiped and reinstalled winders without the internet plugged in yet and installed mobo drivers then gpu drivers then updated windows. pffs but it ended up 2 problems actually and its fixed now.. just wanted to tell you how we fixed that one..

before ou go too far atleast grab malwarebytes and sacan make sure rootkits is scanned also. then pull up a cmd prompt and type sfc /scannow. maybe we did that if not do that see if it repairs anything ..

rebelyell

have both of you tried installing drivers and or possibly running a game in clean boot mode. . msconfig, services, hide all microsoft  click box.  then disable all , then general tab selective start up system services only. reboot .give it whirl. let me know..

lordlevis

Just to update you guys, I've decided to sell my computer, and upgrade to something better. I used 280$ CAD to try to repair it with two diffferent guys, so it wasn't worth it anymore. Too many problems sadly. Thanks a lot for your help and time guys, I really appreciate it! At least my knowledge in software and hardware has gotten way better.

Levente

rebelyell

to bad ccleaner is malware have a nice day