3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 29, 2017 4:39 AM by fastpoke

Latest 17.10 drivers stop PowerDVD 13-16 from working, VLC has Aero issues

fastpoke

Here's my specs.  I honestly don't see what the power supply has to do with it...

AMD R9 290

Decktop

Windows 7 64 bit SP 1

Latest driver installed: 17.10.1731-170424a2031374

Benq 1920x1080 @60hz DVI

Sharp Aquos 1920x1080 @60hz HDMI

MSI 970a-g46

AMD FX-8350

Coolmax ZU1000B

16GB

I've been using PowerDVD on my computer for years.  When I upgraded to 17.10, it stopped working.   I believe I upgraded from 16.x, I didn't think to write it down before I upgraded, but I don't think it was 17.04 because I was scared to upgrade for fear something like this might happen, so I put it off for a while.

I have the last 3 versions of PowerDVD on my computer, and they all stopped working.  To be more clear, none of them will play video.  Playing mp3's and other sounds works fine, displaying pictures still works, but playing downloaded videos, videos off my phone or blue rays no longer works. I get this nifty popup whenever I try:

Capture.PNG

I have forwarded them the report, but I don't think it's their problem, since I never saw this until I upgraded.  Now I also get strange behavior with VLC.  Whenever I play a video with VLC, I get the "changed to windows 7 basic " message and Aero features are turned off.  If I press on the troubleshooting link, I finally get this message:

Update the driver for your video card.  The current video card may support Aero with a driver that is compliant with the Windows Display Driver Model (WDDM).  Contact the manufacturer of your computer or video card for a WDDM-compatible driver.

Curiously, if I go into video preferences for VLC and select OpenGL as the rendering device rather than directX, all is well.  I never had to touch this before. There was a post on PowerDVD's board about PowerDVD needing Aero to be working correctly.

There was another post in this forum that gave the correct version numbers of the various components of this version.  I checked them and they matched what I have.

A couple of other video players I've tried seem unaffected.

Tomorrow I might try using DDU and starting over.  If that works, I'll post back.

• Re: Latest 17.10 drivers stop PowerDVD 13-16 from working, VLC has Aero issues
          amdmatt

Please let me know how you get on with DDU.

• Re: Latest 17.10 drivers stop PowerDVD 13-16 from working, VLC has Aero issues
              fastpoke

Ok, I've been busy, so I haven't had a chance to try yet.  I'll let you know...

fastpoke

I've been busy with other AMD driver issues in Xubuntu, but I finally had time to investigate this problem.

First thing I did was use DDU v17.0.6.7 to uninstall all the GPU drivers (in safe mode, as recommended).

Went to the AMD site, did the automatic install, and got version 17.6.2.  Had the same problems with VLC and PowerDVD as mentioned in the OP.

Used DDU to uninstall drivers again.  Went to the AMD site and downloaded the only other version of the driver I could find, version 17.4.4.  After installing it, I still had the same problems.

Once again, uninstalled the driver using DDU.  I can't find anywhere on the AMD site where there are older drivers, so I went to another web site where, thankfully, they archive old windows AMD drivers (not Linux, regrettably).  I downloaded the latest 16.x they had, which was labeled as win7-64bit-radeon-software-crimson-relive-16.12.2-jan3.  When installed, it reports it is version 16.50.2011-161223a-310015c.

This version worked.  No problems with VLC causing windows 7 basic mode, and PowerDVD, all versions I have installed, are working again.

Incidentally, I have another computer running win 10, and it did not have this problem.

My conclusion: don't ever upgrade to a newer version of an AMD driver unless you have a copy of the one you are upgrading from, since if you need to revert, you won't be able to get it from AMD's website, and you can't always count on 3rd parties to maintain back copies.

Also, DDU is a great program, I'd recommend it to anyone.

1 of 1 people found this helpful