AnsweredAssumed Answered

Latest 17.10 drivers stop PowerDVD 13-16 from working, VLC has Aero issues

Question asked by fastpoke on Jun 17, 2017
Latest reply on Jun 29, 2017 by fastpoke

Here's my specs.  I honestly don't see what the power supply has to do with it...

AMD R9 290

Decktop

Windows 7 64 bit SP 1

Latest driver installed: 17.10.1731-170424a2031374

Benq 1920x1080 @60hz DVI

Sharp Aquos 1920x1080 @60hz HDMI

MSI 970a-g46

AMD FX-8350

Coolmax ZU1000B

16GB

I've been using PowerDVD on my computer for years.  When I upgraded to 17.10, it stopped working.   I believe I upgraded from 16.x, I didn't think to write it down before I upgraded, but I don't think it was 17.04 because I was scared to upgrade for fear something like this might happen, so I put it off for a while.

I have the last 3 versions of PowerDVD on my computer, and they all stopped working.  To be more clear, none of them will play video.  Playing mp3's and other sounds works fine, displaying pictures still works, but playing downloaded videos, videos off my phone or blue rays no longer works. I get this nifty popup whenever I try:

Capture.PNG

I have forwarded them the report, but I don't think it's their problem, since I never saw this until I upgraded.  Now I also get strange behavior with VLC.  Whenever I play a video with VLC, I get the "changed to windows 7 basic " message and Aero features are turned off.  If I press on the troubleshooting link, I finally get this message:

Update the driver for your video card.  The current video card may support Aero with a driver that is compliant with the Windows Display Driver Model (WDDM).  Contact the manufacturer of your computer or video card for a WDDM-compatible driver.

Curiously, if I go into video preferences for VLC and select OpenGL as the rendering device rather than directX, all is well.  I never had to touch this before. There was a post on PowerDVD's board about PowerDVD needing Aero to be working correctly.

There was another post in this forum that gave the correct version numbers of the various components of this version.  I checked them and they matched what I have.

A couple of other video players I've tried seem unaffected.

Tomorrow I might try using DDU and starting over.  If that works, I'll post back.

Outcomes