4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 22, 2017 11:39 AM by bmh0013

Are My Ryzen 1600x Temperatures Okay?

bmh0013

Hello! I am using a ASRock AB350M PRO4 motherboard with an Ryzen 5 1600x CPU. I am using a Noctua NH-L9x65 fan cooler.

While idling the temperature fluctuates between 35-50 Celsius and while gaming it got up to about 75-80 Celsius (monitoring it with Ryzen Master software). I checked task manager and it said it was only using 50% performance, but when I stress tested it for 10 minutes at 100% it gives me the same temps. I am concerned that I either need to get a better heat sink or reapply more thermal paste even though I coat a thin layer to 90% of the surface.

Does anyone know if these temperatures are nothing to worry about or should I look into buying a new cooling system? I would rather not spend more money if I have to but don't want to destroy the CPU.

I currently using the stock settings and not overclocking. Also to ensure airflow wasnt the issue I opened up the side panel of the computer and was reporting the same temperatures.

Any help is appreciated!

Message was edited by: Matt B We have updated the title of this discussion with relevant details to better describe your issue.

• Re: Ryzen 1600x Temperatures
          rebelyell

make sure your bios is updated. check every week . b350 boards getting bios's alot for x-reasons.

well, never let cpu on auto voltage since it will jump very high volts to keep cpu from crashing. set 1.375 volt cpu .. set soc 1.1875.

i dont know why so many people are buying noctua fans and coolers i suppose there cheap.. unless something changed in 4 months noctua couldnt build a fan to save there life, low pressure fans. you are correct on thermal paste just try 100% coverage next time thin and when applying cooler gently give it a little twist or 3 to fill in scratches or warps, after a hot burn in stress a gentle snug on cooler screws and your set. always only use a rice grain size amount of paste its only for making sure it has 100% contact thats all.

what is the ambient temp in your pc room. 4-5 degrees fahrenheit will jump 10-15 celcius on cpu with air cooler..

recommend: set voltage, get better cooler and honestly a corsair h80 water would be minumum , corsair h100i water would fit u best. once you go water you never go back. and there easier to work with imo. looks nicer too.

cpu showing 50% usage due to cores jumping up and down due to auto settings.

80c is getting up there but wont kill it but not good either. 75 on heavy stress should be max. staying under 70 is best.!

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • Re: Are My Ryzen 1600x Temperatures Okay?
            black_zion

There is a 20°C offset in Ryzen temperature reporting in order to maintain consistent fan speed profiles across the range of models, at least that's AMDs fuzzy logic. While that's great for the OEM market, it's terrible for the retail market. That being said that cooler has a TDP of 84w according to Noctua, while the 1600X has a TDP of 95w, so it is insufficient.

NH-L9x65

Caution: The NH-L9x65 is a highly-compact low-profile quiet cooler designed for use in small form factor cases and HTPC environments. While it provides first rate performance in its class, it is not suitable for overclocking and should be used with care on CPUs with more than 84W TDP (Thermal Design Power). Please consult our TDP guidelines to find out whether the NH-L9x65 is recommended for your CPU.

sgtbilko

The NH-L9x65 is rated up to 125w TDP for AMD AM3+ CPUs in a dual fan configuration with good case airflow and 100w TDP in a Single Fan configuration as stated by Noctuas TDP guidelines which you linked above, They haven't updated it for AM4 SKUs but going from past experience it is a sufficient cooler with good case airflow. 

bmh0013

I couldnt find where you found that Noctuas shouldn't be used with CPUs more than 84W but it makes sense why it is running a little hotter. Just an update since I posted, I ended up redoing the thermal paste using the pea method and it is working much better now which max temps at 70-75 instead of 80. Still I should probably get a new heatsink to cool it down better.

Thanks so much for you help!