0 Replies Latest reply on Jun 15, 2017 7:19 PM by kylestilkey

Driver issues since 17.4.2 (On two different systems 580 and 290)

kylestilkey

Hey all,

I've been experiencing issues on two different systems running two different generations of graphics cards from AMD and I'm looking to see if this is driver related or something that might be causing a conflict with them.

First, my two systems are

My PC

AMD R7 1700x (3.8Ghz)

AMD RX 580 8GB Sapphire Nitro +

16GB (2x8) DDR4 G.Skill RGB Trident 2400Mhz

Samsung EVO 960 250GB (NVME)

2 3TB (Seagate+WD) 1 Samsung 1TB (All 7200RPM)

Rosewill Lightning 1300W PSU

3 Monitors (1 24" 1080p 60Hz HDMI 1 27" DVI) (1 27" 1440p 144Hz 1ms FreeSync)

Wife's PC

AMD FX 8350 (4.4Ghz)

AMD R9 290 4GB Sapphire OC

16GB (2x8) DDR3 G.Skill Sniper 2400Mhz

Samsung EVO 850 250GB (SATA)

1 1TB Seagate

Thermaltake 750W PSU

1 Monitor 24" 1080p 60Hz HDMI

Now the issue I've been having with all the drivers since 17.4.2 is that the system freezes and is slow with responses. It seems to mostly affect Universal Apps the most but some apps don't seem to have as much of an issue while others do. This issue causes the mouse the freeze (I believe it's the screen failing to render/update and not really the mouse freezing) and resizing/alt+tabbing to be very slow.

I captured a video of it in action AMD Driver Bug 17.4.2 and Newer - YouTube (Note I recorded this on the insider build but I've tested it on both machines on the latest Creators Update builds/patches and the same results)

The biggest issue with this, is if I get a notification through the action center, this can cause my game to freeze while playing making it even more frustrating. Now with my 290 I can drop back to the 17.4.1 drivers and the issue is gone, sadly, with the 580 I can't as the first drivers released were the 17.4.2 where I started experiencing this issue. Now using the built in Windows Basic Display Drivers, the issue doesn't happen either just as an experiment I tried.

Things I have tried

• Fresh install of Windows
      • Installing with and without Relive
      • Resetting Bios to Default Values
      • DDU Drivers
      • Raising Power limits to 50%
      • Having Windows on High Performance (Always is)
      • FreeSync on and off (Wife's computer has no FreeSync)
      • Tested all drivers from 17.4.2 -17.6.1

So I'm at a lost and I'm looking for help to see what could be causing this, if it's a software related issue I'm not thinking of or if in fact this is a driver issue. Any help would be thankful!