2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 20, 2017 6:08 PM by andrew_deer

Phenom II X4 965 Multiplier stays low

andrew_deer

Hi, I've got a problem with my Phenom II X4 965. The multiplier won't go over x4.0, which is the minimum (802 MHz). I don't know why. When I turn on something like Overwatch it's unplayable. To be fair, yesterday I was trying something and upon unsealing the cooler attached to it, the CPU fell out as if it weren't even locked in the socket. I still don't know why. Unfortunately, I wasn't really expecting that and few pins were hurt. A little, nothing I wouldn't narrow myself. And I did, it looks perfect, nothing broke, everything works. It's not overheating either. It just won't overclock for higher performance. I tried resetting BIOS and also checked the power options.

Message was edited by: Matt B We have updated the title of this discussion with relevant details to better describe your issue.

• Re: Multiplier stays low
          mistered

I had a Phenom II X4 955 that I ran too hot for a long time. Eventually the memory controller was causing errors with the RAM. This was verified by running Memtest86+. Soon after it would only boot at its lowest multiplier. I ended up pulling the CPU and replacing it with a Phenom II X4 960. No problems after that.

• Re: Multiplier stays low
              andrew_deer

... which means you threw your other cpu away. Yes, that's possible, and it's probably what I'll have to do. I ran memtest, it showed no errors after three tests (16 hours). In other news, it actually clocked well on Mint performance test, but when I tried installing new Windows, it didn't work there. As it seems, it clocks in BIOS and on Linux. Not on Windows of any kind. So... I don't really get it. I am expecting another CPU, just as you did, but I somehow can't get my mind around it not working solely on Windows OS...