AnsweredAssumed Answered

AMD Ryzen 1800X Build Constant BSODs

Question asked by airfair on Jun 14, 2017
Latest reply on Mar 9, 2018 by sophieellison316jd

I will preface this post by saying I am not a computer expert, but I do know my way around computer hardware, basic software, and BIOS/UEFI interface.

Anyway, so around the end of April I upgraded my old CPU, MOBO, and RAM to the new Ryzen architecture. I was aware of the potential early adopter issues that might arise but after almost a month of going back and forth between stable and not I am at a loss of ideas on how to proceed. Current build is as follows:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 1800x

MOBO: ASUS Prime x370-Pro

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3000 (PC4-24000) C15 for DDR4 Systems, Red LED (CMU16GX4M2C3000C15R)

GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 970

SSD: Samsung 850 EVO (boot drive - has Windows 10 Pro installed on it)

HDD: WD Blue 1TB Generic hard drive

Before upgrading, my computer literally never crashed. I had an AM FX8320 CPU with a compatible mobo and ram. I am still using the same GPU, SSD, and HDD. I am also using the same OS (Windows 10 Pro).  After upgrading to the Ryzen build, my computer began going into periodic BSOD crash loops - as in it would boot up, get to desktop (sometimes), and the give me a BSOD error. The error it would give me varied (I will list the errors below) but they all seemed to have something to do with the Win10 kernel, the CPU, or the RAM. BSOD I get are as follows:

0xc000021a

unexpected_kernel_mode_trap

bad_pool_header

bad_pool_caller

system_service_exception

page_fault_in_nonpaged_area

bad_system_config_info

critical_process_died

0xc0000139

critical_structure_corruption

memory_management

My first instinct told me I had faulty RAM, yet running Windows Memory Diagnostic yielded no errors. I then moved the RAM into different slots on the MOBO, and after trying 4 different configurations I concluded that the RAM worked (and it worked well when I played games with it while the computer was stable, giving me further reason to believe there is nothing wrong with the RAM). I then made sure my BIOS was updated to the latest version, which seemed to reduce the overall frequency of the BSOD crashes for a short time, but they just came back after about a weeks time. I installed the latest chipset drivers, audio drivers, etc. from the ASUS website. I even did a fresh install of Windows after formatting my SSD. Nothing seemed to work as I still get these problems. I am now convinced it has something to do with windows 10 and driver related issues. I have made sure to manually update all the drivers for all of my hardware from the hardware's respective website, but to no end. I was reading several posts on the Windows forums and Tom's Hardware from March regarding instability issues with Windows and Ryzen, but they all seem to have resolved their issues without problems. Windows tech support was useless as always, they didnt help me and I cant find any solutions that work permanently on the internet. I guess I just want to know what the best course of action would be from here. And does windows 10 and my Ryzen CPU have any known compatibility issues to speak of?

If anyone reading this needs any more information, feel free to ask.

If it helps, here is a similar post I made on Tom's Hardware. It may have more relevant information regarding my situation: Windows 10 Multiple BSOD's in short time frame - Windows 10

Message was edited by: Matt B We have updated the title of this discussion with relevant details to better describe your issue.

Outcomes