5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 10, 2018 2:02 AM by sophieellison316jd

AMD Ryzen 1800X Build Constant BSODs

airfair

I will preface this post by saying I am not a computer expert, but I do know my way around computer hardware, basic software, and BIOS/UEFI interface.

Anyway, so around the end of April I upgraded my old CPU, MOBO, and RAM to the new Ryzen architecture. I was aware of the potential early adopter issues that might arise but after almost a month of going back and forth between stable and not I am at a loss of ideas on how to proceed. Current build is as follows:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 1800x

MOBO: ASUS Prime x370-Pro

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3000 (PC4-24000) C15 for DDR4 Systems, Red LED (CMU16GX4M2C3000C15R)

GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 970

SSD: Samsung 850 EVO (boot drive - has Windows 10 Pro installed on it)

HDD: WD Blue 1TB Generic hard drive

Before upgrading, my computer literally never crashed. I had an AM FX8320 CPU with a compatible mobo and ram. I am still using the same GPU, SSD, and HDD. I am also using the same OS (Windows 10 Pro).  After upgrading to the Ryzen build, my computer began going into periodic BSOD crash loops - as in it would boot up, get to desktop (sometimes), and the give me a BSOD error. The error it would give me varied (I will list the errors below) but they all seemed to have something to do with the Win10 kernel, the CPU, or the RAM. BSOD I get are as follows:

0xc000021a

unexpected_kernel_mode_trap

bad_pool_header

bad_pool_caller

system_service_exception

page_fault_in_nonpaged_area

bad_system_config_info

critical_process_died

0xc0000139

critical_structure_corruption

memory_management

My first instinct told me I had faulty RAM, yet running Windows Memory Diagnostic yielded no errors. I then moved the RAM into different slots on the MOBO, and after trying 4 different configurations I concluded that the RAM worked (and it worked well when I played games with it while the computer was stable, giving me further reason to believe there is nothing wrong with the RAM). I then made sure my BIOS was updated to the latest version, which seemed to reduce the overall frequency of the BSOD crashes for a short time, but they just came back after about a weeks time. I installed the latest chipset drivers, audio drivers, etc. from the ASUS website. I even did a fresh install of Windows after formatting my SSD. Nothing seemed to work as I still get these problems. I am now convinced it has something to do with windows 10 and driver related issues. I have made sure to manually update all the drivers for all of my hardware from the hardware's respective website, but to no end. I was reading several posts on the Windows forums and Tom's Hardware from March regarding instability issues with Windows and Ryzen, but they all seem to have resolved their issues without problems. Windows tech support was useless as always, they didnt help me and I cant find any solutions that work permanently on the internet. I guess I just want to know what the best course of action would be from here. And does windows 10 and my Ryzen CPU have any known compatibility issues to speak of?

If anyone reading this needs any more information, feel free to ask.

If it helps, here is a similar post I made on Tom's Hardware. It may have more relevant information regarding my situation: Windows 10 Multiple BSOD's in short time frame - Windows 10

Message was edited by: Matt B We have updated the title of this discussion with relevant details to better describe your issue.

• Re: AMD Ryzen Build gets Constant BSODs - Why?
          goodplay

You might get better response by moving your post to the Processors section.

waltc

You might want to check this list for ram compatibility thus far with Ryzen.

Just a quick suggestion.

rebelyell

this actually is a complex issue. so i keep it short as possible.

AMD didnt release critical info in time for mobo manunfacturers to make good bios's. on top of this  it is a completley new architecture and amd isnt releasing the source code for whatever reason.

the bios's are being updated fast to fix. the bios is most likely causing memory and kernel errors until they get this all fixed. but for you i do see 1 thing, as even the 3000mhz ram was on the qvl list, it was quickly learned they do not run well with ryzen but last bios helped some. also for some reason the corsairs ram keeps trying to put in the wrong timing of 54 instead of 73 on bank cycle time.

so here is what i suggest hope it helps. update bios also a new one is on the way. bump up voltage on those sticks a good .05v then set soc voltage to a good 1.1875v dont go over 1.2 ..

i think asus prime has digi power in bios right.. so go in bios and set dram or ram to extreme with 130% level 3 and at very bottom u will see a voltage it is the ram voltage for boot time and set it. then go into overclockers paradise and set the first setting too 1 step higher than 50% of ram voltage, so if ram is 1.4 you set that to .706 ...

from what can tell it looks like your timing for those sticks are 15? well ryzen dont like odd timings yet. try 16 -18-18-18-36 not 15. everything else on auto in timing. for now.

dont use software to set anything. windows running motherboard is just bad idea.

make sure your cpu voltage isnt on auto and is set manually 1.412 will run stock plenty fine.  see if this helps and post back.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • Re: AMD Ryzen 1800X Build Constant BSODs
                whiskey-foxtrot

Is it safe to assume that you're using the same PSU as the one before and you have the 4, 8 and 24 pin PSU cables hooked up?

Also,  you simply swapped out the parts (motherboard, storage, GPU) and left the old installation from your previous FX-8320 system correct? If so, I'd recommend making a backup of your important files and try a fresh installation - just to rule out an issue with any previously installed drivers etc that could be causing BSOD's.

• Re: AMD Ryzen 1800X Build Constant BSODs
                  sophieellison316jd

uninstall recently software that cause this error

You can scan your Windows 10 by command prompt by the code. "sfc /scannow"

CHECK AND FIX FAULTY DRIVER

INSTALL LATEST CHIPSET AND HARDWARE DRIVERS

SCAN BY COMMAND PROMPT to type sfc /scannow

disable 3rd party anti virus

Choose a restore point on a date lower than the one of the appearance of the error.

Solution 3. Reinstall Windows

https://www.errorsolutions.tech/error/critical_process_died/