3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 27, 2017 6:20 AM by amdmatt

RX 480 No Driver Will Install After Using DDU - Error 1603

thijsk

As of yesterday I'm unable to install any of the AMD display drivers that I've tried. This occurred after updating to 17.6.1 didn't work and I attempted to install it through an uninstall with DDU.

Error 1603 is the culprit, it will not install the display drivers correctly. DxDiag doesn't recognize the card. Device Manager gives it the following name: "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter" but when I click update and switch to manual pointing to the installation folder it attempts it and fails it saying the name of my card, Radeon RX 480 Graphics.

Windows Update wants me to install the following drivers:

• Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. driver update for Radeon (TM) RX 480 Graphics - Failed
      • Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Graphics Adapter WDDM1.1, Graphics Adapter WDDM1.3, Graphics Adapter WDDM2.0 - Radeon (TM) RX 480 Graphics - Failed
      • Advanced Micro Devices - Audio Device - AMD High Definition Audio Device - Succeeded

I've attempted to install, next to 17.6.1, the following drivers as well:

In the past I've had all of these drivers successfully installed, but now they all fail as well.

DISM completes successfully, SFC found no integrity violations.

I've moved the card over to to a different PCI slot, no luck. Card turns on, fans spin and all.

I've put my previous graphics card back, NVIDIA, installed it's drivers and it worked like a charm.

I'm on Windows 10 Pro 64-bit version 1703 build 15063.332

-Dutch version

-All windows updates installed apart from the above mentioned ones, which disappear when attempting to try again to install them.

CPU - i7-7700

RAM - 16 GB DDR4

MB - MSI Z270 SLI Plus

GPU - MSI Radeon RX 480 8GB

PSU - Cooler Master 600W Silent Pro

I've contacted Microsoft Support and am now awaiting to hear back from a level 3 technician as the level 1 was unable to solve the issue.

But I figured, perhaps anyone of you has any ideas.

I hope anyone still has any ideas left for me.

Thanks,

Thijs

-NVIDIA user for 12 years who decided to move over to AMD 2 months ago, having had to open 5 tickets at AMD Customer Care since, does this happen to all of you?

Message was edited by: Matt B We have updated the title of this discussion with relevant details to better describe your issue.

• Re: Unable to install any AMD display drivers
          amdmatt

Sorry to hear you've been experiencing these issues.

It sounds like something has got corrupted as Windows Updates are failing. A clean install of Windows may be the easiest way to recover the situation, as it sounds like you've already done some troubleshooting.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • Re: Unable to install any AMD display drivers
              thijsk

Hi Matt,

Thanks for the reply. I did a system reset, but still unable to install any drivers again. Windows installs something, but the Radeon Crimson software isn't installed. I'm on version 16.300.2311.0 which Windows says is the last version.

I haven't attempted yet to use DDU again and to install a driver again, will try later today. At this point my computer and GPU are functional again.

Thanks and will keep you updated.

Thijs

1 of 1 people found this helpful