RX 580 BSOD/Flcikering/Crashing When Launching Games

nesbej

Describe your system:

• AMD Graphics Card
        • XFX RX 580 GTS Black Edition 8GB
      • Desktop or Laptop System
        • Desktop
      • Operating System
        • Windows 10 64 bit, Creators Update (problem was still present before update)
      • Driver version installed
        • Radeon Software Crimson Edition 17.5.2 (also tried 17.4.4, 17.4.3)
      • Display Devices
        • Acer XG27HU 2560x1440, Freesync 144hz connected via DP
        • Dell S2240M 1920x1080, 60hz connected via DVI
      • Motherboard
        • Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3
      • CPU/APU
        • Ryzen 1700
      • Power Supply Unit  Make, Model & Wattage
        • Thermaltake Toughpower Grand RGB Gold 750W
      • RAM
        • 16GB

Describe your issue:

• Since installing my new RX 580 (replacing an R9 290x, which had no issues whatsoever in the same system), I've been experiencing crashes extremely often when
        • launching games in fullscreen
        • alt tabbing from fullscreen games
        • changing resolution/refresh rate in game
        • going between windowed/fullscreen/borderless
        • turning vsync on/off in game
      • The card runs perfectly fine when just staying in game. It's also been fine when stress testing at max clock, with no overheating issues.
      • Crashes have been, in no particular order:
        • BSOD
          • thread_stuck_in_device_driver
          • system_service_exception, atikmdag.sys
        • Complete system hang, screens go black, sound is gone, requires forced power off.
        • Main screen goes red, secondary goes beige/white, system then hangs also. Waiting just leads to black screen/crash.
      • Games include
        • Nier: Automata
        • Overwatch
        • WoW
        • Heroes of the Storm
      • I've tried
        • Clean driver reinstalls using DDU (tried 17.5.2, 17.4.4, 17.4.3)
          • ReLive has not been installed during any of this
          • Xbox DVR or whatever is not active, I disabled that ages ago. No recording utilities are active.
        • Turning GPU scaling on/off in Radeon Settings
        • Uninstalling f.lux
          • Disabling Windows 10 Night Light
        • Downclocking the card (I initially thought it may have been unstable at lower clocks, and was crashing during transitions between states)
          • Disabling downclocking using ClockBlockers (seemed to have helped a bit, but still crashing fairly often)
        • Exchanging the card, this is the second one, both were BNIB.
        • The card is installed properly, I've done plenty of builds. No missing power connector. Have tried re-seating the card.

Edit:

• Just tried disconnecting secondary monitor
          • Games launch, but visual artifacts and flickering can be see during the process.
            • Also noticed VRAM frequency going crazy from 300-2000mhz
          • Able to go from fullscreen -> windowed without crashing, but tons of artifacts/flickering in the process
          • Just doing things on the desktop like moving a window around or starting up Radeon Settings is causing artifacts/flickering. Definitely occuring when memory is at 300mhz / when memory frequency is changing states
            • Tried ClockBlocker again, definitely helps when only on one monitor.
            • Tried ClockBlocker again with two monitors, still get crashes.

Well upon disconnecting the second monitor and actually being able to see what's going on without outright crashing, my best guess is that this all has something to do with memory stability at/between lower power states. Keeping everything in borderless windowed mode seems okay for now, but obviously not a fix (trying to even launch a game so that I can get in and change it from fullscreen to windowed without crashing is a complete gamble).

Anything that can be done about this?

Edit2: Well, after doing a fresh install on another partition and doing nothing but installing the video drivers, the card is still unstable and artifacting at low power states. I guess the card could be the issue after all? Seems very odd that two in a row exhibited the same problems. I doubt it's the PSU considering my previous 290x ran fine and consumed more power / used two 8 pin connectors rather than the one.

Message was edited by: Matt B We have updated the title of this discussion with relevant details to better describe your issue.

• Re: New RX 580, runs at full load fine. Crashes often when launching games / alt tabbing / changing resolution/refresh rate.
          amdmatt

Thanks for the detailed post. It sounds like you've already done a lot of troubleshooting, so not sure how much input I can offer I'm afraid.

Have you tried disabling FreeSync?

What about trying a different DP 1.2 cable? We recommend a certified dp cable.

Have you tried the GPU on a different system? Wondering if it is faulty.

• Re: New RX 580, runs at full load fine. Crashes often when launching games / alt tabbing / changing resolution/refresh rate.
              nesbej

Things have actually gotten slightly better since 17.6.1

Immediate changes I noticed were that minimum clocks in single monitor mode had gone from 300/300 to 300/2000. This seems to have fixed issues in single monitor mode, but I run a dual setup so didn't really spend too much time testing.

With two monitors minimum clocks went from 300/2000 to 600/2000. This has made alt-tabbing from fullscreen apps better (the ones that can consistently launch, at least), unless I do it really egregiously in an attempt to force a crash, which it can. As for changing window states / launching other fullscreen apps, that can still regularly cause crashes. Changing window states is the biggest offender. Keeping things in borderless windowed mode has been my solution for the most part. Getting stuck with a game set to fullscreen mode that won't launch without crashing basically requires me to change it with my second monitor unplugged or through the config file, so that's a pain.

I've tried both FreeSync on/off. I'm using the DP cable that came with the FreeSync monitor, though I did try a second one (that came with a different FreeSync monitor) with no changes. I don't have a second system to test the GPU on unfortunately. I didn't want to think that it could be faulty considering this is the second one after I made an exchange at the store (both brand new), but who knows, maybe it was a bad batch. The first one was significantly worse, for what it's worth.

I'll probably end up doing a return / exchange  / RMA depending on the situation with the GPU shortages. The stores have none left for exchanges/replacements, and even nvidia cards are inflated so I don't feel like getting one to hold me over til Vega.

• Re: RX 580 BSOD/Flcikering/Crashing When Launching Games
              meister.rm

To the OP, try this.

I was testing myself, as I have the XFX RX 580 GTS XXX 8GB. Go into Wattman and reduce the maximum default frequency down a bit. I went from 1365 to 1300, and I noticed that the issues stopped. If still there, raise the power limit to 50% and retest and see. Now this isn't a true fix, as the card is rated for it's default, but I think it can prove that the power delivery system in the card may be an issue. It's either that or the binning isn't being done correctly. Either way, there seems to be an issue that affect the GTS and above edition.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • Re: RX 580 BSOD/Flcikering/Crashing When Launching Games
                destebanb

Have you tried to downclock the vram? It worked for on the rx480, I downclocked from 2000 mhz to 1950 mhz with wattman. That was the issue for me.