2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 20, 2017 2:29 PM by kingfish

AMD r9 280x overheating(?) issue

chowster

When I turn on my computer, the dual fans instantly shoot up to 100%, and MSI Afterburner states that the card is running 90C when idle.

I am unsure what to do. I've taken the card apart, cleaned it well and reapplied thermal paste to its GPU.

Even without the proper drivers installed (I uninstalled them when I was troubleshooting this the first time), the card's built in dual fans instantly ramp up to maximum speed.

The issue occurred after I installed the most recent driver (Radeon Software Crimson Relive 17.5.2) and started playing World of Warcraft. The game caused my gfx card to run pretty hot (build-in fans were on a high speed), but I didn't check the temp at the time. I played the game for about a week, which is when I noticed that my fans were running at an audible speed even during my computer's start up.

Could it be that I damaged my gfx card? Or that some of its parts are faulty / have become damaged?

Specs:

• AMD Graphics Card - AMD r9 280x
      • Desktop or Laptop System - Desktop
      • Operating System - Windows 10 64bit
      • Driver version installed - Radeon Software Crimson Relive 17.5.2 (last known driver installation before uninstallation for troubleshooting)
      • Display Devices - Acer S220HQL 1920 x 1080 @60Hz VGA cable
      • Motherboard - Asus Z87-PRO V Edition
      • CPU/APU - Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4590 CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
      • Power Supply Unit  Make, Model & Wattage - Corsair CX600M Bronze
      • RAM - 8GB