54 Replies Latest reply on Mar 26, 2018 4:02 AM by swaccelerated

RQS-devine PC

rqs-devine

new PC built.jpgDSC01245.JPGDescription

Mostly Community Donated parts that come together to make my Devine PC. #redteam

Specifications

CPURyzen 1600 / Thanks to darkwolfca
      CoolerWraith Cooler
      MotherboardMSI B350 Gaming Plus / Thanks to darkwolfca
      MemoryGSkill Flare X DDR4 3200 / Thanks in large part to my old boss.
      GraphicsASUS ROG Strix RX 580 OC 8 GB / Thanks to AMDGaming stream and Asus
      Disc Drive 1Sandisk 120 Gb SSD / Thanks to gtagshuffle
      Disc Drive 2WD Blue 500 Gb HDD
      Disc Drive 3{drive3}
      PSUEVGA 600 Watt / Thanks to remixreviews
      CaseBitFenix / Thanks to swaccelerated
      MonitorVeiwSonic 24" 75 Hz

First off, I have to give a HUGE shout out and Thank you to this community. They are family to me. They are the reason I can even be a real #redteam member. I thank mohotashi for turning me on to the AMD community. virgo4u for being the first #AMDRTP streamer I ever watched and being so entertaining I had to keep coming back for more. Without them, I never would have met all the people I now consider not just friends but family. Let me explain.

My MSI 970 Gaming Motherboard and FX8370 CPU and Gigabyte R9 380 4 Gb M1 Gaming GPU are all courtesy of remixreviews .The Case is courtesy of swaccelerated . The Case Fans and 120 Gb SSD for my OS are courtesy of gtagshuffle . The Ultra X3 PSU is courtesy of bernie8001 . The CoolerMaster CPU cooler is courtesy of georgefern , who I can say with great pleasure I actually got to meet in person as he made the drive out to deliver and help install said cooler. Much thanks on both fronts there man. I could have put it in alone but would have taken longer and aggravated my back more. Also, I wouldn't have had the afternoon with you. You are as awesome in person as online. My Sades K9 gaming keyboard also came from swaccelerated that I redeemed with points earned watching their great streams. Imagine getting to watch a family of great streamers, getting to join in the fun with them in game and getting a keyboard for doing it. It sounds too good to be true but it is. My Sades headset was won by bernie8001 from swaccelerated . He asked them to send it to me so double thanks go out there.

The Asus ROG Strix was originally a RX 570 4 GB GPU I won from the AMDGaming  stream channel. I was however cursed with some real bad luck with 3 consecutive defective GPU's sent back for RMA's and tested and replaced with more RX 570's. After three consecutive defective 570's Asus was kind enough to offer me a fourth try with a new RX 570 or a refurbished quality tested RX 580, with the bad luck I had with the RX 570's I opted to take the Refurbished RX 580. Seems to have been a good choice as I have had the GPU in my system for 3 days now with Zero Errors and crashes. I have to give Asus customer support props they did do everything they could to get me a working GPU. It is Glorious and seems to be fully functional!

At this point, the only parts of my PC that are not from the great community members mentioned are my 500 Gb HDD for my games, pics and music that is from my old computer and the 16 Gb of Crucial Ballistix DDR3-1866 Ram (won from Crucial for my Valentine’s Day Ram Poem). Since I now have a complete system, I enter contests and giveaways like a madman in an attempt to get things I can pay-forward to others. It's not a lot but at this time in my life it is the best I can do. I have managed so far to win a Razor keyboard from katiya_graves , which I was able to pay-forward to a friend who had just earlier that day tweeted out that their keyboard died. Talk about timing! I have also won a Sapphire Nitro RX 460 from havenbreaker , which after discussing with other community members we were able to get that to a person in need as well.

Sorry this was so long winded. However, I felt the need to express my Gratitude and my feelings for this awesome community. #redteam, #AMD, #betterred , #TheStreamersLounge , #SWAccelerated.

Thank you for your time,

James LaTourneau = RQS-devine

Message was edited by: James LaTourneau in reply to a request for the PC's backstory.

Message was edited by: James LaTourneau Some updated pics to show the new ASUS ROG RX 570 4gb GPU I won from the @AMDGaming Stream. Many Thanks! Can't wait to start gaming on it now that it's installed. #betterred #redteam

Also The Gigabyte R9 380 from remixreviews will be going to georgefern to help complete the #payitforward build he has been working on. If anyone has a windows 10 key they would like to donate to complete it please get in touch with him. #AMDCommunityHype!

Latest Updates Thanks to darkwolfca I am now a member of the Ryzen Family!! I was already red now Ryzen! amdcommunity  #RyzenHype

Message was edited by: James LaTourneau 9/16/17

Message was edited by: James LaTourneau

Message was edited by: James LaTourneau 1/13/18

• Re: RQS-devine PC
          whiskey-foxtrot

That's great! What's the story behind the PC? I always find that interesting too.

kxuping

Nice AMD shirt and mouse pad

What games do you play?

rqs-devine

I am currently completely addicted to MechWarrior online. A free to play FPS style Mech game. I had watched some friends streaming the game and they were having so much fun I decided to give it a try. Hooked first night basically all my other games are dead to me right now. But I do also have and play GTAV, COD BO3, Rocket League, First Assault Ghost in the shell.

whiskey-foxtrot

rqs-devine Thank you very much for sharing the story on this system! I too am thankful for the great folks in the AMD community - which sadly, I have only discovered in the last few months - can you believe that?

I have always been an AMD user; yes I own Intel/Nvidia as well, but my first system is always AMD. The main reason I've never sought out or heard of this community was simply because I was turned off with other "communities" I've attempted to join in the past: the drama, backstabbing, elitism etc run rampant and I will have no part in it. I'm sure it happens here too, but it doesn't propagate which is a good thing. Somewhere in 2016 before Rx 4xx were launched, I listened to Mr Kudori talk about AMD's plans on bringing affordable (but) high tech to the masses and something clicked there. Then Dr Su held up the Ryzen processor in Feb and I got that warm fuzzy feeling all over again - since then, there's no turning back for me. Your example and experience with the community coming together to help you out is yet another point on what makes this community, the best!

Again, thank you for sharing!

georgefern

Thank you for the kind words rqs-devine. It was my pleasure helping out. It brought joy to me to see the excitement of yours, like a kid at Christmas, when we brought the PC online with the new cooler and seeing the lower temps.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                    rengy

Rq Awesome frankenstein build that you have there and me AWESOME the story behind it

darkwolfca

amazing build RQ glad you got some pics up of your rig

ajlueke

Amazing story, thanks for posting it.  Enjoy the system!

colesdav

Hi,

Great post, and just confirms to me what a generally supportive and friendly place the AMD Community forums are.

Cheers.

rqs-devine

Looking forward to the arrival of the ASUS_ROG RX 570 4GB GPU I won from the AMDGaming Stream. There shall be Pics When I'm done installing it.

Thank you again for the great giveaways. I honestly never thought I would win but enjoyed the anticipation and celebrated every time someone I knew won.

Please Keep The AMD stream team program alive and well. Thank you again.

#betterred #redteam

jamesc359

Looks fantastic! I bet it runs a lot faster than your old card. :-)

rqs-devine

The Wattman settings where way off. Took 2 days of asking people for advice how to fix my card crashing my games turns out wattman settings where way to high and my card was overheating, but after changing the settings all seems fixed and the temps are down. Before my GPU held back my CPU not anymore. Let the Gaming commence!

colesdav

When you say the Wattman Settings were way off ... do you know why this was?
                                      \were you running any other OC Tools like MSI Afterburner?

Thanks.

rqs-devine

with or without the Asus GPU Tweak tool installed Wattman and GPU Tweak both try to have the fans kick in at around 80 C don't hit 100% fan speed till 90C the card gets super hot mid way thru a benchmark and throttles itself to 300 mhz to compensate that's really stupid if you ask me. I have manually changed the target temps and max temps and been able to keep the temps down but the GPU's all keep crashing and giving card not found errors and such. Multiple games.

colesdav

OK ... Interesting. so it looks like something in the driver / VBIOS combination might be causing the card to get way too hot.
                                              The replacement for the Sapphire HD7970 OC 6GB Vapor-X card I mentioned died immediately after I installed a new driver version earlier this year.
                                              I have a post about that somewhere on this forum. I cannot remember the exact Crimson Driver version I used at the moment.

My card had seemed to be working o.k. with the new driver after installation.
                                              I than ran a Firestrike test and the driver crashed and the card was really roasting hot. I could barely touch the backplate.
                                              I rebooted, powered up the card and then started getting artifacts on the screen.
                                              I powered down, then rebooted and the card will no longer POST on any machine I have tried it on.
                                              I get a VGA_ERROR light and a BIOS Error Code.

I have been working on getting the card up and running again, but it has been pretty low priority recently. However now I need the 6GB VRAM for Blender ...

I thought maybe the VBIOS was corrupted so I have saved and then reflashed the BIOS with one from Sapphire Support and taken some time to double check.
                                              It does not look like it is a BIOS Corruption issue at all.

My next step is to remove the Air Cooler. Inspect the card for visual damage / obvious problems like blown Capacitors.
                                              I find nothing obviously wrong on the PCB I will then attempt to reflow the GPU.
                                              Don't worry - I will not be sticking it in the oven like many I have seen on Youtube.
                                              I am building a solder reflow station for other work anyhow - so I will be using that. 

If I get my HD 7970 OC 6GB running again I am then thinking of adding a two slot high AIO watercooler to it, if I can find such a thing anywhere.
                                              Any advice on that appreciated ;-).

If I completely fail, I am thinking of sending the card to Buildzoid, as he loves them: PCB Breakdown: Sapphire HD 7970 Vapor-X 6GB / TOXIC - YouTube

I thought the possibility of Driver/Vbios combination causing overheat was complete coincidence in my case, and maybe my card was just worn out.
                                              Who knows.

Anyhow,  thanks for letting me know what is happening with your card, and again, good luck with the next one.

darkwolfca

looks great rq  and yeah wattman is a pain i wish was a way to just disable it entirely lol but can't that i know of.

whiskey-foxtrot

Congrats again rqs-devine!  PS, where did you ask about your card crashing - I definitely would've jumped in. Glad you got it figured out and like you said, let the gaming commence!

iamthesaga

Love the back story!  This is one of the best communities around. 

rqs-devine

Tried for 5 days to get the card to run right. Three different times thought it was fixed but it always ended up crashing. Guess I have to call ASUS to see about RMAing the card. Glad I hadn't had a chance to send my R9 380 out for that pay-it forward build yet at least it works fine after reinstalling it.

iwalkwithedead

Awesome!

darkwolfca

glad to see you got back up with the 380 for now until the 570 can be replaced. hopefully that gets all sorted out for you quickly

rqs-devine

Fed Ex confirmed delivery of my 2nd Asus RX 570 back to Asus for RMA again. I am beginning to feel Cursed. What are the odds of being able to get 2 brand new RX 570 with the same Errors and crashes. Their own tests on the first GPU confirmed it needed repair but they didn't have the parts to do it so they replaced it. Second card has the same errors and crashes as the first only worse. This GPU even shut down my PC cold 2 times. Crossing fingers maybe 3rd time is the charm. Time will tell.

darkwolfca

maybe they where from teh same batch rare but never know hopefully this next one is better or maybe they send you a rx 580 for the hassle

rqs-devine

I won't hold my breath on the last part there darkwolfca but I do hope the 3rd time is the charm. All I can do now is hurry up and wait.

rqs-devine

Asus customer support said they will have a tech call me Monday to let me know if there is some sort of beta patch but he thinks most likely I will be RMAing the 3rd card ..... If only I could get these kind of odds in a Positive nature. 

What where the odds of getting 3 bad GPUs in a row???? The first 2 I sent back I saw their reports both cards where Fails and sent out for repairs. They sent me replacement GPUs due to parts shortages to preform the repairs, and to have 3 GPUs all have the same issues just seems ridiculous. Hopefully someday this story has a happy ending.

realmadrooster

Nice looking setup. Sorry to hear about your troubles. As a fellow system builder I understand your pain.

rqs-devine

Well as a latest update on the GPU adventure ,,, 3rd GPU was a bust same errors same crashes. Asus has been great about working with me on the issue and at this point they offered to RMA the RX 570 for a 4th new RX 570 or I can take a Refurbished "Quality tested" RX 580 so at this point with the fail luck I have had with the RX 570's I decided to take them up on the refurbished "quality tested" RX 580 I am hoping that by switching to a completely different card it will clear up what ever the problem has been. I have sent back the 3rd GPU and in the process of waiting for the replacement to arrive. I promise to keep you all posted. Fingers crossed.

darkwolfca

that sucks about all the cards but is good asus is going to give you a little upgrade to try and fix the issue hopefully that will fix the issue

rqs-devine

Ok So just to update you all. Asus after three RMA's with them testing the GPU's and failing their tests, offered me the option of getting a Fourth New Asus ROG Strix RX 570 OC 4GB GPU as a replacement or the option of a Refurbished Quality tested Asus ROG Strix RX 580 OC 8GB GPU. With the bad Luck streak I had with the RX 570's I opted to take the Refurbished tested RX 580 GPU. Seems I made the right choice the GPU has been in my Rig three days now with zero errors and zero crashes. I Finally have a Functional Asus GPU in my RIG! I give Asus Customer Service props for sticking with it and doing everything they could to take care of the issue. I have Updated the PC pic to show the new GPU installed. #betterred #redteam #betterredthandead #AMDCommunityHype 

darkwolfca

glad u got the upgrade and all better for you rq

rqs-devine

OK so HUGE news!! Thanks to darkwolfca my current FX 8370 shown here.

DSC01348.JPG

Will be Updated to #Ryzen!!! He stunned me yesterday with a surprise delivery of a

MSI B350 Gaming Plus Mother Board and a Ryzen 5 1600 CPU!!! Pictured below.

DSC01345.JPG 

I will post pics when it done, need Ram first or I would have already been tearing this down and rebuilding it as/ap.

Thank you again darkwolfca you are Amazing to have done this!!

I cried when I opened it now I am giddy with anticipation!