14 Replies Latest reply on Aug 6, 2017 9:15 AM by dini

Relive headaches Overlay not working & producing 1kb video files.

preed

Hi there,

Ex-Nvidia user used to using shadowplay and I am getting frustrated with Relive.

Running Windows 10 x64 with Creators update. Crimson 1.5.2 for an AMD RX 470 running an AMD FX-8350 on an 990-FX motherboard.

I am doing a lets play new mass effect game. I currently have two big issues.

First, Overlay is not working correctly. If I full screen the game, no overlays appear what so ever. If I run window borderless, one of 3 things happen, either

a) Overlay does not appear.

b) Overlay appears but flickers on screen.

c) Overlay appears.

a and b are the most likely outcomes.

I had is semi working a couple of days ago but I wanted to turn wattman off. I found out the only way to do this was to use DDU and reinstall drivers. Which I did.

All the overlay problems are all there with the addition of the following.

I am running same drivers as before, but now, if I can get the software to record, it just displays the recording logo at top right (it does not fade away) and I can't stop the recording. I have to come out the program to which I find that the video file created was 1kb in size.

AMD-V is disabled in bios and Hyper-V is not installed.

If I had alot of hair on my head, I would be pulling it out right now, I have tried using OSB to record but its not as smooth as using relive (when it works)

• Re: Relive headaches Overlay not working & producing 1kb video files.
          amdmatt

Please wait for our next driver update and then check the issue status.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              preed

I was running 17.5.2, now installed 17.6.1.

Still exactly the same problems.

Overlay either does not apper or flickers.

And files produced are 1kb in size.

amdmatt

I'm not sure what could cause this and we have no other reports of the issue. I would try a clean install of Windows as the next logical troubleshooting step.

preed

If I do that, it would 4th reinstall of windows I would have attempted.

I have tried on 2 different hard drives.

The install media I am using is straight from the Microsoft website, and that has the creative update built in.

I had zero problems prior to this, I had to do a windows reinstall as I had just got a SSD to run windows off of and its since using that as a source that I have had the problem.

amdmatt

Okay. Can you attach a DXDIAG report to your post so i can look for any possible causes?

amdmatt

Please attach it rather than doing a copy paste of the information which makes it hard to read.

When you reply, select Use Advanced Editor and then you can select attach.

amdmatt

Thanks.

I found another user with the same issue, currently trying to collect more information to see if we can find out the cause. Relive not recording, files sizes are 1kb

He mentioned something about resolution. Have you tried using a lower game resolution?

Please can you also provide the essential INFORMATION REQUIRED WHEN POSTING A QUESTION ?

Looking at your specs, I see you have two displays. Which is your primary display? What happens if you disconnect the secondary?

preed

Describe your system:

AMD Graphics Card

Asus AMD RX 470 4GB

Desktop or Laptop System

Desktop

Operating System

Windows 10 Pro 64bit

Driver version installed

Crimson Edition 17.6.1

Display Devices

Sony Brava 43" 829 TV 1080p @60hz Via HDMI (Main screen for playing games)

Iiyama Prolife E435S 1280x1024 @60hz via DVI (Second screen to monitor system/manage recording)

Motherboard

ASRock 990fx Extreme 3

CPU/APU

AMD FX 8350

Power Supply Unit  Make, Model & Wattage

Corsair CX750m

RAM

12GB (2x2GB,2x4GB) DDR3 1600mhz

Ok, a bit of an update.

Since installing 17.6.1, and it making 1kb recordings, I have since needed to install FDDShow.

My videos are now recording larger than 1KB, and there is no form of stuttlering in the video.

The Overlay is a different matter.

In xbox app, DVR is set to off.

I have tested a range of games, here is the results.

Mantle - Thief

1080p Fullscreen - No Overlay,  No pop-up messgaes (timer,start/stop message) and no video recorded.

1080p Windowed - Full Overlays, Pop-up messgaes (timer,start/stop message) and video recorded.

Directx 12 - Deus Ex Mankind Divided

1080p Fullscreen - No Overlay, No pop-up messgaes (timer,start/stop message) and video recorded.

1080p Windowed - No Overlays, No pop-up messgaes (timer,start/stop message) and video recorded.

Directx 11 - Mass Effect Andromida

1080p Fullscreen - No Overlay, No pop-up messgaes (timer,start/stop message) and video recorded.

1080p Windowed - No Overlays, Pop-up messgaes (timer,start/stop message) and video recorded.

Directx 9 - Metro 2033

1080p Windowed - No Overlays, No pop-up messgaes (timer,start/stop message) and video recorded.

Thoughts,

So improvement in being able to record, but no luck with the overlay.

Att current, I use a different prgram to record my mic, and I also have an elgato card in my system to record my PS4.

In Relive settings, I am concerned that in the Video Capture Device, it is trying to use my Elgato Captgure card. But I don't see that as causing the issue.

I remember with the old Catalyist Drivers, you could only install and get the drivers working if you have .net 2 installed. Could I be missing a .net version preventing the overlay from working? I think I only have 4.5 installed at the moment.

The last thought I have, is that with the creative update, Microsoft added "Game Mode", which when enabled is ment to dedicate that game to the hardware to "boost" performance. I have not turned that on, but could that system be interfearing with Relive.

Sorry about long post.

amdmatt

Thanks for the update, glad you got things working a little better. I find it strange that FDDshow fixed that issue. I wonder if somehow something on your OS has become corrupt or damaged, it seems the most logical reason at the moment.

I have an Elgato too, you can ignore it being detected as a video capture device. It won't interfere, that just allows you to select a web cam.

Game mode should not cause the issue, i have it enabled and use Relive without any issues.

preed

I have tried the MS tool that detects errors and currptions in the OS. That came up with nothing.

I did remember something else I had done between my inital 17.6.1 test and the ones I did for you.

It was that I had decresed the screen bit-depth from 12 to 10.

I wanna do a couple of tests on the 12 setting and see if it produces 1kb file size.

Over the weekend, I have a spare HDD just around, so I might a new install of windows on it.

I must admit, I am tempted to do a test install of Windows 10 on it and also windows 7.

I figure with windows 7, I can setup with the same drivers and see if its an OS, Software or Hardware issue.